This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all.

Jay22, really hope your OH makes a swift recovery. Must be terrible. I've never been a one for wearing gloves when gardening, but I pick them up every time now even before I've grabbed the tools I want to take out with me to the veg patch. So warning heeded. Big hug to you and your OH.

Managed to get half of the admin-type issues resolved yesterday. Bank, tick. One delivery (the most important one), tick. The rest are dependent on other people now.

So, today is a big day for me. Last day before a week of half-days only for paid work. And half-days of gardening. Absolutely perfect. Also, with any luck, I have new muck arriving. The last lot was full of thistle seeds, by the look of the weeds that have sprung up. So trying a new source: organically fed mustang horse poop. Not as cheap as the last lot, but well rotted already apparently. Mr Snoop is quite intrigued by the idea of mustang muck (we've decided to call the pile 'Sally' for obvious reasons). Bizarre story, though: mustangs went from Spain to the Americas and these ones have been imported back and are supposedly now the only ones in Spain. Plus, I've asked for hay from them for mulch. If everything arrives, my cup really will runneth over.

Got a lot to get through today, though. So better step on it. The smiles are very keen to meet Sally, apparently. So they set off sharpish and said they too would be on a half day today, so they might not hang around long at yours.

Have a great day. And here's a song to get your feet tapping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u6w0cjjrU

Comment

• Oh and another piece of personal advice, don't forget to wear safety goggles when strimming (don't ask..., suffice to say it was a very near miss).

Comment

• Morning all. Yesterday afternoon was so annoying. I set off to the allotment and suddenly we got some "non forecast" rain with wind. This morning is mainly overcast but the sun keeps playing hide and seek.

The coffee is going down well and Mr GF is just fetching me another mug.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

lovely and sunny start to the day here.
          Looks like we are in for a heatwave next week.

Loved the music Snoop - reminded me of the Levi launderette advert…
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwG_wym3p68

That too put a grin on my face.1985?…blinking ‘eck…..where did the years go???

Speaking of years passing by - it’s our wedding anniversary tomorrow. OH has asked what I’d like to do and I said ‘garden , followed by a lovely homemade meal in the evening’ Bliss

More clearing today although I guess this will entail a fair bit more cleaning thoroughly as I go along.

The guy who was due to fit our radiator popped over yesterday to say he can’t do it for a few weeks It has to be fitted before the floor goes down on Monday!…yikes…. When I say ‘popped over’ I’m surprised he could even drive - both his knees look like balloons front and back. He could hardly bend them poor lad.

So the hunt is on for a last minute plumber!

Best crack on then….enjoy your day peeps- almost weekend!
          the magic breakfast trays are set - help yourselves to which ever you fancy. All tastes covered
          Last edited by Nicos; 06-05-2022, 08:17 AM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• morning all,nice out so far,was up earlier and watered the plants,so satisfying seeing things growing,have a good day everyone
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Good morning all.
              Dull and breezy here with rain forecast.
              No plans for the day so will play it by the weather.

All tomatoes and peppers survived another night in the greenhouse so they will.stay there permentantly.

Didnt see the smiles this morning, I suspect they took a short cut in their hurry to get home Snoop.

Happy wedding anniversary to you both Mr and Mrs Nicos, have a lovely evening.

Jay, I hope your husband is improving and I wish him a speedy recovery.

My sister is still in hospital, it will be eight weeks today.
              She is stil beingvtube fed and is very underweight.
              She hadn't got the use of her left arm and is having physio every day.
              She is finding it all too much with no end in sight in the near future.

Stay safe, take care and have a good day,

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Sympathy like there, Bramble.

The same happened to a friend of mine and even surviving seems to be a miracle. Your sister's husband's decision to call an ambulance clearly saved her life. My friend finds her limitations difficult to accept at times, but given the possibilities she could be in a much worse state, though that's no real consolation. I hope your sister's recovery speeds up.
                Last edited by Snoop Puss; 06-05-2022, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Aww bramble- it’s a looong day just sitting there in hospital. If I recall correctly it takes a good few months for brain swelling to reduce so it’s still early days.
                  The days must feel they are dragging for your sister. Is there anything she can do to keep her mind active so as to help pass at least some of the time? Or something simple to look forward to?
                  It can’t be easy for her and the family, but as Snoop says - she’s alive and clearly made some progress. Baby steps…baby steps - they all add up xx

Comment

• Bramble - I was just wondering if she’s up to sitting in a wheelchair , masked and blanketed up ,and just being taken for a short trip into the hospital grounds for some fresh air and a spot of sunshine if the weather is ok?
                    Maybe her Occupational therapist/ physiotherapist might support your request if it will give her a bit of a psychological boost?
                    Even if just being pushed to a vending machine in the entrance to choose some chocolate she perhaps could suck on later?

Just a few thoughts xx
                    Last edited by Nicos; 06-05-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Good evening all.
                      What a miserable day, it rained from about 11'0'Ckock until about 5 this evening.
                      I was so bored I actually did some ironing.

Nicos and Snoop, thank you for your sympathy and suggestions.
                      My sister is caeoliac and so is limited in her diet.
                      Even when she was healthy she would be only a size 8 or 10 so couldn't afford to loose any weight.
                      The hospital have a wheelchair for her but she is not able to sit up for long.
                      She is still being tube fed so cant have any treats.
                      Just hoping she will have the strength and the will to keep fighting.

Sorry if this post is depressing but it is good to be able put it in to wor

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Bramble, sometimes life seems so cruel and it helps to just write things down or tell somebody. I do hope things improve for her, and for you and the rest of her family who can't do much apart from worry and try and cheer her up at the moment.

Comment

• Really sorry to read your latest post, Bramble. Being in hospital is depressing in itself. Is your sister back in the UK now? I remember you posting about the possibility of her being flown back but I don't remember if it actually happened.

Comment

• Morning all.

Overcast this morning, so perfect for a bit of early gardening. Today's jobs:

Get shallots in the ground
                            Plant out Freezo leeks and red peppers
                            Put some muck down
                            Clear some more weeds
                            Bash some of the brassica tree trunks with a mallet in the hope they'll rot down quicker in the compost heap I've started
                            Shift barrels around and get some down in the fields so I can plant out down in my main patch

Before all that, walk the dogs. And in between all that, a bit of paid work.

Mr Snoop has gone on a grory shop. What a good man. It's not my favourite activity. Marginally better than ironing but more expensive.

The smiles did a victory roll over the new muck piles before heading off, so should be with you soon.

Have a great day everyone.

Comment

• Beautiful sunshine this morning, but very wet underfoot and 11°C. I need to weed today. At least they won't feel as if they are concreted in.

I picked up my handbag yesterday when I set off out and decided to investigate why it's become so heavy. Can you believe, three pairs of secateurs and a strimmer battery....... Other women carry a lipstick and tissues.

Comment

• Morning

I'm sharing your sunshine GF had to smile at your handbag contents.

My plans for the weekend are to pressure wash the GH in readiness for planting out the toms then move the seedling cold frame so the brassica cage can go in that bed.

best get on. enjoy your day.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X