X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
    Friday 13th.
    I want to know why we don't have the opposite, a "lucky date".
    Well I do ...aka my birthday !... well, it's always been lucky for me!!!!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Difficult times we live in, not being able to attend funerals of friends and family in person. Big hugs to you both, burnie and Nicos.

On a different subject, I've given up worrying about Friday the 13th and similar superstitions. The unlucky day here is Tuesday the 13th. If the world can't make up its mind, then I can't be bothered to pay attention.

Comment

• Tuesday ? Haha ha !

Comment

• I got married on the 13th - make of that what you will
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• It"™s Friday 13th here too as bad luck.

I looked up a few other ones here - and yes , the French are generally superstitious.

Friday is supposed to be a "˜bad"™ day to travel - and strangely with our gites we often get French people arriving Saturday afternoon for one night ...in the uk we rush away for a two night weekend... I wonder if it"™s anything to do with that superstition ?

Here are a few others!!!!
            https://www.completefrance.com/langu...bout-1-4840316
            https://www.thelocal.fr/20180713/fre...ustoms-culture

I actually love the one where when you make a toast everyone clinks everyone else"™s glasses rather than just lifting your glass and saying cheers. AND at the same time you MUST look that person in the eye. It"™s really lovely - sort of feels like they genuinely mean it

Any strange ones in Spain snoop

Comment

• If I forget something when going out and I have to go back in to get it, I have to sit down and count down from 10 to 1 before I can go out again
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                Friday 13th. I'm probably more careful just because of it's reputation. I wouldn't get on a boat or plane through choice even though experience tells me that catastrophe can happen at any time.
                I want to know why we don't have the opposite, a "lucky date".
                Every day that you have a genuine smile is a lucky date
                Last edited by rary; 13-11-2020, 06:39 PM.
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post

Well I do ...aka my birthday !... well, it's always been lucky for me!!!!
                  And a lot of them as well
                  Last edited by rary; 13-11-2020, 06:47 PM.
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Good evening it has been a cold but dry day today, didn't get any garden work done as I was busy building drawer units for our granddaughter, and talking of she was supposed to be selling her flat today but it had been held up, hopefully things will get sorted out soon and no I am not superstitious, dates have nothing to do with good or bad luck,,, , though what's that date in March that brought me nothing but

Comment

• I have Friday the 13th as my lucky day on the basis that not many people will choose it, hoping that the luck isn't worn out lol!!

Comment

• Mornin n"™alln"™all

First brew of the day.

I"™m just listening to the dawn chorus too.I do wish I could recognise more than a handful of bird calls.
                        I can"™t seem to find any bird call ID with more than a few seconds worth of recording. So many birds have a selection of calls

The Vine seems to be going through a bit of an unstable time again - we"™ve not heard anything but will chase it up on Monday.

Has anyone made an Xmas cake this year? It"™s getting a bit late I know, and I don"™t have all the ingredients, but I sort of fancy making a small one this year. Anyone got a good/ fail safe recipe I could try???
                        otherwise it"™ll need to be a traditional French chocolate log. Not the same is it?

Comment

• Morning

Nicos could you make a ordinary fruit cake like a boiled one, my favourite is carrot cake but that's probably not what you're after.

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                          If I forget something when going out and I have to go back in to get it, I have to sit down and count down from 10 to 1 before I can go out again
                          We have a friend who does that says its something he's always done.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all. It was thick fog for a few hours but now it's vaguely sunny.

On the superstition front, black cats are regarded as unlucky in Spain. But there aren't that many superstitions that we can think of. Counting to ten, FF. That's interesting. My problem is I do things on auto-pilot when leaving the house, so just as I'm about to drive off, I'm never sure I've actually done them. Maybe counting to ten is a good strategy, as it gives you thinking time. I might try that.

Ought to be a busy day. Feeling like I don't want to do much but the rats are back. I managed to make them scoot (they clearly don't like a scythe up 'em) but need to take more radical action. So, that's today's job.

Other than that, will do a bit of paid work to get ahead for the week, as I've been offered yet more.

So, have a good day everyone. Catch you all later.

Comment

• Nicos, this is my fruitcake recipe. It was my mother's. It can be eaten immediately.
                              It is very forgiving. I make it in a 6 inch tin, my sister makes it in a seven inch. I now reduce the dried fruit by 2 ounces and add an extra 2 ounce of glace cherries. The cooking times vary. In my oven ( gas) it's about 2 hours at gas 1 to 2 (100°C). Then another 2 hours at just under gas 1 (70°C). My sister puts it in her aga slow oven overnight. The only word of warning: don't over rub the fat into the flour or you'll end up with rich pastry instead of "breadcrumbs". The reason it says 3½ large eggs is the original recipe was double this for 2 cakes. I usually just put 4 mediumish eggs in.
                              Last edited by greenishfing; 14-11-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• ^That is a total beauty of a cake, gf. I can smell it from here. I have no control over the temperature of our oven and would find that very hard to make. But I'll copy the recipe and see if I can give it a go. Goodness but I'm hungry now and it's a while to lunch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X