Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No cooking this evening just reheating yesterdays meat and potato pie and veg. Sweet potato jackets and salad for lunch.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Asparagus followed by mushroom risotto
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Fish fingers with green beans and carrots. Yet more cherries. Mr Snoop bought a 2.5 kg box of them, a bit sharp for my tastes but still good. Better still will be the cherries from one of the local villages, due to arrive end of this week.

Comment

• Tonight will be chicken goujons, salad and potato scallops in beer batter with some coronation chicken type mayonnaise to use as a dip and/or dressing.

Comment

• Soup with toasted cheese sandwiches.

Comment

• Something light tonight - I feel I’ve been overeating recently…

Tumble salad with eggs and tinned pilchards as the guest ingredients.
              Oranges for pud.

It does feel more like a hot stew and dumplings sort of dry though

Comment

• Lamb curry, rice and naan.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Yesterday's coronation chicken type mayonnaise was absolutely yummy. It's a shame that I'm not sure exactly how much of the different spices I added after I'd made the basic mayonnaise although I know 3 dollops of one of my homemade chutney went in.

I've taken some cooked minced beef out of the freezer so I think tonight will be cottage pie with carrots and broccoli and gravy.

Comment

• I've never made my own mayo, but the price of it is so ridiculous that next time we have the sneaky salad I'm going to try. I've just watched an all-in-one video using a stick blender. Any tips bramble please?

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                      I've never made my own mayo, but the price of it is so ridiculous that next time we have the sneaky salad I'm going to try. I've just watched an all-in-one video using a stick blender. Any tips bramble please?
                      Greenishfing here, I always make my own mayonnaise. I use Delia's recipes. Either the classic recipe with just egg yolk or the quick recipe with whole egg. I mostly make the whole egg recipe where I just break an egg into a small jug that the stick blender will fit in, add salt, pepper, a bit of mustard or mustard powder a small clove of garlic and zap, then very slowly add oil, usually rapeseed, with the blender running until it is a bit thicker than I want it. Then I some acid, wine or cider vinegar or lemon juice to taste. This takes about 2 minutes from start to finish. The only really important thing is to add the oil very slowly in the beginning.

At this point extras can be added to turn it into tartare sauce (parsley, capers and gherkins) or prawn cocktail sauce (tomato puree, brandy, extra lemon) or lots of other things. I only make one eggs worth at a time as there is only two of us at home and it never gets wasted.

Comment

• Thanks very much greenishfing and sorry I did mean to ask you and not bramble!

Comment

• Brill instructions gf - as always!

I used to try and hand whisk mayo with a hand held whisk - gawd was it hard work!… quite put me off making it again tbh your recipe sounds yummy and simple - thank you x

Comment

• Thanks GF your recipe makes it sound easy, I’ll give it a go next time we need mayo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              Brill instructions gf - as always!

I used to try and hand whisk mayo with a hand held whisk - gawd was it hard work!… quite put me off making it again tbh your recipe sounds yummy and simple - thank you x
                              I only had a mishap once ....when I probably got a bit too complacent and gung ho and added a big glug of oil too early but even then, suitably self-chastised, I followed Delia's instructions to redeem my efforts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                                Thanks very much greenishfing and sorry I did mean to ask you and not bramble!
                                No problem Flo. 😃

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...