Hazel's Parsnip Wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 ways to make wine

Shirl, I have books galore and 30 years experience of brewing/wine making let me know if you need any advice or if you have any problems.

The sugar content varies dependant on the sugar content of the produce you are using to make the wine. Sometimes the starch in the vegatables can be made into sugar which changes the equation, but it all works out well in the end. Mind you these days you can buy yeasts that will produce wines up to 21% alchohol, so you may end up with a very strong dry wine as all the sugars are use up.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewer-again View Post
      Shirl, I have books galore and 30 years experience of brewing/wine making let me know if you need any advice or if you have any problems.
      Shirl knows what she's doing - it's me wot needs any advice, brewer again!

The wine has now been sitting at 20 degrees for 6 days, being stirred from the bottom every evening. It is quietening down on the 'fizz' now.

It's due to be 'strained into a fermenting jar' on Wed, then I have to sit on my hands for 6 months.

MInd you, there's a recipe for celery wine on the previous page in the CJJ book, and I've some celery at the Hill which needs digging up to make way for potatoes (NOT the best, the celery. String anyone...?) so I could be having a go at that later......
      Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 26-01-2008, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Must have been a late-ish night post

Hi Hazel, I take your point !!
        I think you may need to mix something with the celery if you want a balanced wine. Some fruit would be good, apples, pears even rose hips??

The old trick ( or added cost bit ) was to add chopped sultanas/raisans which can be bought quite cheaply from the supermarket. It is at times like this it would be nice to have some blackberries or damsons in the freezer. It could be a bit lacking in flavour otherwise.

Also remember that the sweeter the fruit you add the less sugar you will need. As mentioned before you can force a yeast to keep going by slowly adding more sugar towards the end of the brewing process.

It can be great fun and if you keep it all clean the results can be really rewarding.

Comment

Not sure if I can get them to you - but I have several large boxes of.... Blackcurrants and Redcurrants if they would be of use in the wine making.

Got several demijohns and assorted wine making kit for anyone who would like it too.
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

thank you

I could combine this with visiting my brother in Camberley. Please see my private message. These berries would make some great wine.

Comment

You are welcome to them - I gave up wine making, what I made was better as vinegar than as a drink!

Comment

thanks T,Peers

hopefully we will get together.

I have looked into the price of raisins at tesco and they are 98p for a kilo. That is 2.2lb.

My point is that raisins would be a good addittion to any root wines.

Comment

Hopeful collection

Hi ! Tpeers
                  Had a look at the map and you are right it is not on my way to Camberley.

Perhaps someone closer could benefit from your generosity.

Comment

No problem - have a good trip to your brothers

Terry

Comment

So after 10 days of 'strirring from the bottom' I poured the wine into a demijon and fixed the airlock. Don't know if I was supposed to strain through a filter, so I didn't, which is prolly why it looked like emulsion paint to start with ....starting to clear a bit now, tho'

Tested SG - it's now 988

Haze calculates % to be (1104-988)/7.36 = 15.5% !!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Hazel, great to read your parsnip postings! you seem to be doing a great job.
                        I have the CCJ Berry book too, tried the elderflower but all went.....errrm shall we say - not quiet right. will try again this year :-)

Comment

Thanks headfry! I'm not doing anything like elderflower wot with being a townie and not know what it looks like.

(*see Haze making deadly nightshade wine...)

A week on and it looks much better - and I am now bouyed up enough to have a crack at celery wine.......
                          Attached Files

Comment

That is looking pretty good Hazel. Seems to be clearing really quickly.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley I aspire to your wine, which is crystal clear, kit or no kit...

Tastes v good, btw - have a glass here now....cheers!

Comment

Not too bad for a beginner

In fact, bleddy good for a beginner. Looks like you've got a bit of a flair for winemaking, well done.

Now..., all you've got to do is wait till forever before you can enjoy it
                                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X