No announcement yet.

Hazel's Parsnip Wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should be fine. Don't be too worried about taking it's temperature. So long as it is cooler than your hand then it will be fine. I usually use around 4 litres of boiling water to dissolve the sugar then top up with cold (for 5 gallons) then just bung in the yeast. Haven't tried parsnip wine yet though so haven't read the recipe to see why you had to boil yours.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Should be fine. Don't be too worried about taking it's temperature. So long as it is cooler than your hand then it will be fine. I usually use around 4 litres of boiling water to dissolve the sugar then top up with cold (for 5 gallons) then just bung in the yeast. Haven't tried parsnip wine yet though so haven't read the recipe to see why you had to boil yours.
      Once the parsnips were strained, the sugar was added then the mix had to be simmered for 3/4 hour - it's taken since lunchtime to get to 24 degrees. You can see why hot water bottles are so effective!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        Once the parsnips were strained, the sugar was added then the mix had to be simmered for 3/4 hour - it's taken since lunchtime to get to 24 degrees. You can see why hot water bottles are so effective!
        Give it a stir now and again to help the heat disperse. Don't worry about sterilising the spoon every time - rinse it with boiling or boiled water
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Once the yeast is added it says to 'cover closely with a thick cloth' which doesn't sound very hygenic - can't I use the lid placed on?

Comment

Once the yeast is added it says to 'cover closely with a thick cloth' which doesn't sound very hygenic - can't I use the lid placed on?
            I usually put a clean teatowel over the bucket then lay the lid on top sort of snapped in 2 or 3 spots. This lets out any build up from the initial vigorous ferment. If you put the lid on tightly it could blow off. I have also sometimes (when fermenting two buckets with only one lid) put a teatowel on and sellotape round it to keep it fitting tightly. It needs to let gas out in the first stages of ferment. Once it eases off you need to put it under airlock to stop nasties getting in but let the bad gasses off.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

I've put the yeast, nutrient and amylase in, given it a stir, covered in a clean tea towel and pushed the lid on (a bit).

The whole caboodle is upstairs with the thermostat set to give a 20 degree even temperature.

All I need to do now is 'stir well from the bottom each day' for the next ten days.

Comment

I usually make the 'preparation' and then don't bother adding the yeast till next day. Saves you faffing about what the temperature is! Laid back winemaker here. Hygiene is your main worry. Everythings else sorts itself out. Time is the most important ingredient - just like in gardening!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  Laid back winemaker here.
                  Impatient winemaker here!

Comment

So I'm on my second evening of stirring the big bucket of wine - it's fizzing nicely, I must say.

When I showed mum the wine 'working' when she was here yesterday - she was not impressed and said that it looked like a bucket of wallpaper paste.

Comment

When I showed mum the wine 'working' when she was here yesterday - she was not impressed and said that it looked like a bucket of wallpaper paste.
                      Yeah but I'm willing to bet she hasn't drunk wallpaper paste.

Ooops, what a giveaway
                      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                        Yeah but I'm willing to bet she hasn't drunk wallpaper paste.
                        Many more comments along those lines and she won't get the chance to see WHAT my wine tastes like!!

Comment

All I need to do now is 'stir well from the bottom each day' for the next ten days.

How do you sterilise that????

Sorry must read it closer from - not with
                          NKP1962
                          The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
                          Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

Originally posted by nkp1962 View Post
                            How do you sterilise that????

Sorry must read it closer from - not with
                            HAHAHA!! I thought it was oddly phrased, (surely you stir from the top TO the bottom?) but hadn't thought of it quite like that!

Comment

It's the thought of how she's holding the spoon that's making MY eyes water!
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Any way hows the wine (& the stirring method)??
                                NKP1962
                                The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
                                Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X