No announcement yet.

Hazel's Parsnip Wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing 'Not hurrying it in any way' is a bit like making a Jelly Preserve, and not 'squeezing'..... hence you end up with a clearer/cleaner-looking wine, like wot you do with a non-squeezed jellybag making a clear, rather than a cloudy jelly.

Really enjoying this thread Hazel! and joining the queue with Shirl for the tasting!

Comment

Well, I've let the parsnips drip though the sieve, and now I have a big bowl of parsnips to 'do something' with, and a bucket with 4.3 litres of parsnip juice.

I now have to calculate how much sugar to put in ('3lb sugar to each gallon') then boil it up for 3/4 hour, which I will be doing tomorrow, wot with going to the Slug and Lettuce now.....

Thank you for your help, peeps - next installment tomorrow...

And Wellie, I didn't think that you would be anywhere else but looking over my shoulder, so you'll be ready with your tasting glass when the time comes...?

Comment

Looking forward to the next instalment Hazel. Got my tasting glass all polished up ready but not holding my breath as I know good wine takes time to make (unless it was from a kit)
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

I use a pectic (for pectin - I think peptic is for your ulcer!) enzyme because I use the minced vine fruits with mine - and fewer parsnips - and MUCH less sugar!

I agree your pan is to die for (well, feel ill for a bit!). Mine is aluminium which I've had since I was poor but I always reckon it's not worth ditching it for a stainless steel because I don't use it that often. But now I DO use it that often! Might have a splurge!

Wait till it starts to fizz - you'll be so excited you'll post every bubble with a picture!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            I use a pectic (for pectin - I think peptic is for your ulcer!) enzyme because I use the minced vine fruits with mine - and fewer parsnips - and MUCH less sugar!
            HAHA! I was so concerned about how to spell 'amylase' that I glossed over the pectic/peptic bit!! (see Haze pour BiSoDol into parsnip wine...)

I'll be happy to experiment in due course - the idea of using less sugar does appeal, but then again I don't go for bone-dry wine. Practise makes hopefully acceptable wine....!

Right, I'd better get concentrating...
            Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 20-01-2008, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Parsnip wine for beginners - part 2

Ok, so now comes a bit of maths.

The next stage of my wine is to 'measure the liquor, add 3lb of sugar to a gallon and finally the citric acid bring to the boil and simmer for 3/4 hour'.

The wine is in a fermenting bucket with litres marked on the side...

3lb sugar to 1 gall is 1.36 kg to 4.546 litres.

I have 4.25 litres, so a bit of dividing and multiplying and I think I need 1.275kg sugar.

I have done that sum quite a few times, as this would be a baaaaaad place to cock up. (jus' thinking of the marmalade which called for 3lb sugar, and I bought 3 BAGS of sugar....)

So, back to the maslin pan....useful, ain't it?

Comment

A useful thing to know is that a good indication of sugar quantity is a starting SG of around 1.08 more accurate than weighing the sugar
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

hazel you will be pleased to know alot of german wines can be made with veg , especially hock types.
                  if you can find this book ; make wines like you buy in the shops - it has lots of recipes for wine ,sherries and even champange
                  ---) CARL (----
                  ILFRACOMBE
                  NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Ah. Sugar is duly dissolved - and I've checked the SG.

It's 1096 - is that a bit high, and if it is, should I stick a bit of water in the pan to dilute it??

Comment

Don't worry about it, it will ferment out a bit sweet maybe but you say you don't like it too dry anyway so it will be fine I am sure.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Thanks, Shirl - a lesson duly learnt there!

You can always add MORE sugar....

Comment

I make a rhubarb wine with tinned rhubarb for Madmax and have to start that at about SG 1.11, it ferments out too sweet for me but he loves it. It looks just like water it is so clear and light coloured - however, it packs a fair punch!!
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by carlseawolf View Post
                            hazel you will be pleased to know alot of german wines can be made with veg , especially hock types.
                            if you can find this book ; make wines like you buy in the shops - it has lots of recipes for wine ,sherries and even champange
                            Trying to find this on Amazon, Carl - do you know the author?

Comment

I've now simmered it for 3/4 hour, and turned it into a bucket. It's evaporated a bit in the simmering so have topped it back up to 4.5l with water.

I know have to leave it to cool to 21degrees before putting the yeast, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme (except I'm using amylase, if you recall......do try to keep up, I may be asking questions later...!)

I'm going to test the SG again (have a sample in the fridge cooling)

Actually, talking of samples - does this look like the biggest one ever to you...?
                              Attached Files

Comment

LOL, it does rather!!
                                Happy Gardening,
                                Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X