Hazel's Parsnip Wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's a trier isn't she?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Wow!!!

I am very impressed with that! Well done you!

Wren

Comment

Hazel Hazel Hazel.....
        Your 'Adorable Mummy'. Her of the 'Award-Winning Sponge Cake' as seen at The Hill Allotment Thingy-Show, would prolly 'defect' to Chez Piglets of a Monday morning if she were to know being described as THE DAFT OL' BAT ?
        You just wait till I tell her.
        Alternatively, you could store your wine in my Potting Shed.
        Lots of Love.
        Wellie
        X

Comment

Well done Hazel, your Parsnip wine looks delish. Is it very sweet? I prefer a dryer wine myself so wondered if I could just use less sugar. Would I then need to adjust the amount of yeast? VERY new to winemaking
          Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Using less sugar would make a drier wine but it might not finish so high in alcohol either. You would use the same quantity of yeast though.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by sallym View Post
              Is it very sweet?
              Dunno - wot with having will power made of iron, it's all bottled and in the garage and won't be drunk till the end of the year. Mind you, the sample I had when I bottled it wasn't overly sweet - the wine yeast must have taken all the extra sugar and converted it into alcohol...

Comment

...and I have the very last glass of parsnip wine here beside me. It has been superb and all the better for leaving for 6 months or so.

So much so that I've started all over again with this year's parsnips...

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                  ...and I have the very last glass of parsnip wine here beside me. It has been superb and all the better for leaving for 6 months or so.

So much so that I've started all over again with this year's parsnips...
                  A bit like Mister Kiplings cakes..............parsnips DO make EXCEEDINGLY good wine!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wine looks great but i'm completely bamboozled (try saying that after a glass of parsnip!) by the process hence the request for good kit reccomendations! Well Done you!

Comment

• I bought some parsnips from Tesco (eek) the other day and have had soooo much fun reading this thread that I am off to the kitchen to start some parsnip wine just like Hazel ATT!!! Wish me luck and feel free to share any tips.....

Ta

L

Comment

• ocht! only had 1.5lbs of parsnips so trip to tesco tonight..........

Comment

• The more parsnips the merrier, Scottishnewbie!
                          Well done for ploughing through the thread - it is in rather painstaking detail at times!
                          Important bits are:
                          -scrub the parsnips, don't peel
                          -don't let them go mushy when you boil them
                          -add a tsp of amylase not of pectin enzyme
                          -you can always add sugar later, you can't take it out
                          -takes ages to mature
                          -tastes brill!

Comment

• Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                            My proper brews so far number a gallon of elderflower which needs bottling, a gallon of banana liqueur which also needs bottling ...
                            Bottling is so tedious.
                            Is it really wrong to just drink from the syphon tube?

Hazel, I really enjoyed this thread, and planted extra parsnips this year so I could make some of your lovely wine (i have also naughtily amended our library's copy of CJJ Berry, so everyone else can add amylase not peptic acid)
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-01-2010, 04:34 PM.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• just thought I'd bump this as I'm sure lots of us have parsnips in the ground that were too frozen to dig out for christmas dinner and hence will have a mountain of parsnips in a few weeks.......

Comment

• My Parsnip & Apple was racked again today: doesn't taste of parsnip at all, it's quite nice. Nearly clear too (after 3 months)
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X