No announcement yet.

Hazel's Parsnip Wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks hon! You're right that the 'wait forever' bit is a HUGE disadvantage with making your own wine.

Hazel's sums say: 1 gallon of wine = 6 bottles = 1 month supply therefore make one batch of wine a month...

BUT do you see the flaw in the plan??? Make 12 batches of wine over the next 12 months before you can actually DRINK any of the damn stuff!!

*drum fingers

Comment

Wow, one gallon a month - aren't you well behaved!

Glad you are enjoying mine - cheers!
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        Wow, one gallon a month - aren't you well behaved!

Glad you are enjoying mine - cheers!
        Crikey isn't she good

Was yours parsnip Shirl? If so, stop drinking now Haze... That's strong stuff if my sister's brew is anything to go by
        Last edited by scarey55; 05-02-2008, 07:58 PM.
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Nope, 'fraid mine was the Young's Chardonnay kit from Wilko's. My proper brews so far number a gallon of elderflower which needs bottling, a gallon of banana liqueur which also needs bottling and I have made a couple of gallons from tinned rhubarb for Madmax. I made rhubarb and strawberry crumble for pudding on Sunday and the juice from the tinned fruit is now bubbling away merrily in a demijohn with a tin of red grape concentrate - smells delish!
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Ooh, great idea.

KK is very partial to a glass of rhubarb wine. Might have a go at that next.

Comment

Umm...

...I think it might be a bit strong.

Having cleared beautifully with the sediment all at the bottom, I've take Shirlthegirls advise and racked the wine off into another demijohn.

I measured the SG whilst I was about it, and had a little taste, as you do.

The sum is (1104 - 988)/7.36 = 15.75%.

Tastes quite nice, actually - a bit vanillery/chardonnay - but rather more like a spirit than a wine....
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks extremely good Hazel. Give yourself a big pat on the back. Well done.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                    ...I think it might be a bit strong.
                    Hazel, what are you saying? a bit strong - is there a problem??

Looks great and so clear already. As Shirley says, give yourself a pat on the back but don't have too much at once

Comment

Bottling...

....and this is wot it looks like now!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Crikey Hazel, that looks fantastic and so clear, truly well done to you.

Now... d'ya think you can leave it for a year

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                          Crikey Hazel, that looks fantastic and so clear, truly well done to you.
                          Thank you! I am a bit chuffed on how clear it is.
                          Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                          Now... d'ya think you can leave it for a year
                          Well I've been racking my brains on that one, and the answer will most likely be NO except if it was squirrelled away somewhere safe.

I was thinking of my mum's shed, but it'll get to warm, and the daft ol' bat might drink the stuff, anyway.

I'm going to stick it in the garage somewhere inaccessible, I think....

Comment

Very nice looking wine Hazel. Well done. Does it taste as good as it looks?
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                              Very nice looking wine Hazel. Well done. Does it taste as good as it looks?
                              Tastes good, Shirley, although I suspect that a few months 'mellowing' in the bottles won't do it any harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                                I'm going to stick it in the garage somewhere inaccessible, I think....
                                How about the middle of France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X