X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't improve on that photo MBE

Comment

• Well the quality's not as good, but this was clattering around in my greenhouse earlier:

I don't mind admitting that it was making me edgy, and I like bugs! It's Rhyssa persuasoria, the Giant Ichneumon. Giant's about right too!
      Attached Files
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
        Well the quality's not as good, but this was clattering around in my greenhouse earlier:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30225[/ATTACH]

I don't mind admitting that it was making me edgy, and I like bugs! It's Rhyssa persuasoria, the Giant Ichneumon. Giant's about right too!
        Nice photo Mr B, it doesn't look less than two inches long in that pic...in fact it looks decidedly tropical beastie..
        Last edited by T8Ter; 20-06-2012, 08:02 PM.
        "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Thanks T8Ter. I thought it was about 4" with the ovipositor, but 3" is probably nearer the mark. Quite big enough to keep me out of the greenhouse.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• whilst moving things down the lottie to de'weed an area,DH moved a bit of ground covering out the way,a mouse ran for its life,then he noticed some baby's,by the time he tolled me and i got there,they were gone,then from knowwere came 1,DH picked it up and put it near the bags close to where the so called mother ran,next thing another came,so was but together,the second 1 snuggled up part under the 1st one,they were their for ages,eventually 1 dissapeared,leaving the 1,i recone they not very old,
            The last pic is specially for VC,just a small a few of MY farm,they went on a salty lake with a few more dozen,just thought the field mice looked cute
            Attached Files
            Last edited by lottie dolly; 08-08-2012, 08:03 PM.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Your little meeces are really cute LottieD, so I wish you'd thought of me then, instead of when you saw the slugs and snails

Comment

• Now this is cheating slightly, because I've already posted this before.

Attached Files
                The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

• Found today in the middle of the road, in the baking midday heat. From reading this link, he's about a month old
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• No pics I'm afraid, but today I saw my first ever shrew, it's made a burrow by the looks of it, in one of my raised beds, what a fabulous little thing, pics to follow if can come across it next time.
                    "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Magpie Moth

I've already posted this photo here http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oth_67194.html. Forgot about this Wildlife photos thread
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Never seen one of those either - what a sheltered life I've led....
                        Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I've already posted this photo here http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oth_67194.html. Forgot about this Wildlife photos thread
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]31379[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Originally posted by T8Ter View Post
                          today I saw my first ever shrew, it's made a burrow by the looks of it, in one of my raised beds, what a fabulous little thing
                          One time when I was turning a compost heap two shrews got into an old compost sack. The sack had been split lengthways and they were running from end to end, pausing only to shout and scream at each other as they passed in the middle. Very funny and endearing.
                          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Swallowtail Caterpillar

Munching its way through the bronze fennel.
                            Attached Files
                            Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Drinker Moth

Originally posted at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ase_67556.html
                              Very kindly identified by Mrbadexample and his friends at Eggar? - Wild About Britain
                              as The Drinker moth Euthrix potatoria, a member of the eggar family (Lasiocampidae)
                              Attached Files

Comment

• New to the forum, so I thought I'd share some of my favourites

Insect on Osteospermum

Dragonfly on fence

Sparrowhawk on the same fence

My personal favourite, Woodlouse on Moss!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X