Parsnip Tape!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnip Tape!

I think we've all heard of carrot seed tape so this year I'm gonna try gluing Parsnip seeds onto newspaper edge with flour & water to save on thinning & stop them blowing away..............can anyone think of any pitfalls?
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Just don't use self raising flour

Seriously though, you don't need to do anything fancy with parsnips. I grow them in stations about 4" apart. Along the row between the parsnip seed I sow radishes which makes it really easy to see where the parsnips should be.

Comment

Cheers AP, I usually sow them 2" apart, I find them so small & light so was just an idea. Plus it'll save me bending down for long periods.
      Last edited by Bigmallly; 14-02-2014, 10:24 PM.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I grew a tape of parsnip seeds last year and they did very well, to bloomin expensive though so your newspaper idea sound good.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Cheers Bill,that's encouraging......my main concern was if they will grow mould prior to sowing.

Comment

The seed tapes do seem expensive!
            I'm going to use a thickish bar and make a hole every 4ins. Fill said hole with compost and sow 3-4 seeds. Then thin out to 1. Will try this for one row to see how it goes.

Comment

Appreciate what you are saying marco but if I did your method, I'd never get back up..........

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Cheers Bill,that's encouraging......my main concern was if they will grow mould prior to sowing.
                As long as you dry them out quickly they should be fine, and you could always make your tape quite close to the planting time.
                Last edited by Bill HH; 15-02-2014, 08:53 AM.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                  As long as you dry them out quickly they should be fine, and you could always make your tabe quite close to the planting time.
                  That'll be tomorrow then...............

Comment

What a good idea! I'd never heard of this before, must have been away visiting some distant planet or other.
                    Just had a quick search on t'interweb and there is lots of information and videos about it, will defo be giving it a try. Still can't believe I'd never heard of it.
                    My new Blog...

Click here to view

Comment

Well, for all you newbies & oldbies alike I've had a bash & what a breeze.......For those interested:

1. Cut strips of paper & mark the seed distance (in my case 3")......note, the 1st mark is at 2" & the last at 1"........all will come clear soon........

2. Put drops of paste on marks with in my case a crochet hook that I double up as a dibber. Use said dibber to pick up the seeds and place on paste:

3. Overlap previous tape hence the 2" & 1" marks mentioned earlier:

4. Fold the tape in half to seal the seed and stack on floor until ready to roll up:

Enjoy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That looks brilliant Mally, it remains to be seen whether the seeds will stick or all drop out when its dry. So far its looking hopeful
                        Of course there is another advantage in doing this yourself in that you can use varieties that dont come in strips, or even other types of seeds. I wonder if pritt stick would work as a glue?

Comment

Cheers Bill, the tape is already drying & looks ok so far. Not sure about the pritt stick as I don't know what it contains. At least with flour & water it's edible. When I've done enough Parsnips, I'm gonna have a bash with beetroot...............This retirement lark is so tiring..........
                          Last edited by Bigmallly; 15-02-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Cheers Bill, the tape is already drying & looks ok so far. Not sure about the pritt stick as I don't know what it contains. At least with flour & water it's edible. When I've done enough Parsnips, I'm gonna have a bash with beetroot...............This retirement lark is so tiring..........
                            Pritt stick is ok for children to use so should be ok, just a bit less messy. My biggest problem with parsnips has been trying to sow them thin enough and failing, then leaving the thinning out to late and damaging them when i do, this should get over that well.

Comment

Mally, my only problem with retirement is I never get a day off, I can't even ring in sick.
                              My new Blog...

Click here to view

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X