No announcement yet.

James Wong - seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After two weeks I put in more seed, 2 weeks later they're all up....(2 weeks after that cute little plants that look too frail to survive out on their own ha). Found trick with seed in to keep close to surface, only sprinkle of compost and preferred dining room table in front of window rather than propagator. 6 out of 8 seeds germinated from realseeds. Hope they crop well as expected! James Wong just tweeted that they're being commercially grown UK for first time - exciting!

Comment

• Meant to say original seeds came up at same time as fresh - as left in same pot. Maybe need more light to germinate than available in this yr dismal weather.

Comment

• Am coming in on this thread late.
        Just wanted to say..I bought electric daisy seeds which were fab, germinated well and are growing strongly. Cucamelons seeds- I have three good plants growing ( don't forget folks you can overwinter the roots like dahlias) but my white strawberries were a real disappointment- firstly the little foil packet wasn't sealed properly so when I went to open it (upside-down) the contents spilled all over the floor! Grrr... out of what I managed to rescue the germination rates were French pancake... I have about a dozen good plants.
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

• In the end six of the seeds Inca Berries germinated, but this was over a period of six to eight weeks. I have no idea why some took so long as they were all planted together with only a tiny amount of covering, and all in the same tray.

Comment

• Update, The Asparagus peas, are now growing, but still very slow
            Cucumelon, did not like being transplanted at all, some remain, although none appear strong.
            White strawberries, tiny plants but so many of them.
            Gogi berries, currently have a small forest which I must prick out.
            Stevia, still the same number germinated, but these now have four leaves each.
            Callaloo still no sign of these or the quinoa which I have replanted. Could not do with the Callaloo as so few seeds in the packet.

This has been an awful year, so disappointed so far with the kitchen garden exotics.

Comment

• My electric daises have not done very well ... however! I have had a couple of flowers and me and mum tried half a small one today. It is awesome! Not in the slightest bit painful or uncomfortable, like fizzy sherbet in a really nice citrus flavour with tiny little sparks in your tongue similar to the tingling you get from pins and needles.

Cucamelon one survived being planted out and has grown about an inch in 4 weeks. Asparagus peas have grown about the same. Radish rat tails I sowed in modules in Feb (bit too early) and are only just starting to flower. Massive plants too, taking up quite a bit of space. Musk melon not very happy, grew two proper leaves and started to wilt so popped in on the kitchen windowsill where it gets a lot of sun and it's slowly growing. Don't see how it could produce fruit in a British summer without a greenhouse.

Comment

• Anyone fancy meeting James Wong? He will be at Buckingham nurseries this Saturday don't you know

Comment

• i sowed a pack of cucamelons a few weeks ago in a large pot .... only have sprouted so far .... suppose i did something 'wong' and am a bit dissapointed as i was looking forward to these
                  Last edited by dim; 19-06-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                    i sowed a pack of cucamelons a few weeks ago in a large pot .... only have sprouted so far .... suppose i did something 'wong' and am a bit dissapointed as i was looking forward to these
                    Can't remember who it was but someone on YouTube was moaning about the rate of non germinating JW seeds not to long ago
                    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

• I planted 6 Cucamelons, 5 germinated in an unheated propagator. Just planted one in a pot and I'm slowly hardening it off. The ones left in the prop have gone wild in the last few days... Not much not much hope for the one I'm trying outside...

Done the same for electric daisies, same result as above.

The Goji berries have just come from Suttons, bit of a delay. Too late to sow when it says Jan to Mar on the pack?

Comment

• Problems with Wintergreens

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has had any problems growing James Wong's Wintergreen? I've tried to grow two packets this year (one with normal seed compost and one in ericacious compost) and nota single seed germinated. I put the second batch in a heated propagator.

Does anyone have any advice? I'd be very grateful for hints, tips, so I might get some sucess with this plant.

Comment

• Previous thread here on James Wong seeds http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eds_70201.html

Welcome to the Vine, by the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlefox2000 View Post
                            Hi, I wonder if anyone else has had any problems growing James Wong's Wintergreen? I've tried to grow two packets this year (one with normal seed compost and one in ericacious compost) and nota single seed germinated. I put the second batch in a heated propagator.

Does anyone have any advice? I'd be very grateful for hints, tips, so I might get some sucess with this plant.
                            Me too. My advice would be to not buy from that collection again.

Merged with the ongoing saga thread...
                            Last edited by zazen999; 20-06-2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• I only grew the cucamelon, tomatillo and electric daisies
                              The daisies were poor, but have a few around the garden.
                              the other two I got a nigh on 100% germination rate with
                              They all potted on nicely and currently have a few of each in the greenhouse.
                              Some pics:
                              Cucamelon:

Tomatillo:

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome!

I think I've found the reason my wintergreens didn't germinate. Apparently they need a cold spell of 4-10 weeks to take them out of dormancy. I am going to contact Suttons and let them know their instructions on the packets needs to be more detailed. I have also tried cucamelons, Chinese chives, asparagus peas and radish rat tails.

I am so far really disappointed with everything. My cucamelons only about half germinated and the plants are so tiny, I doubt any will come to much. The Chinese chives started well but since their initial growth spurt have stopped growing and are only a size of blades of grass (I sowed them 6 weeks ago). The asparagus peas only half germinated and again seem really stunted. My radish rat tails, well I can't really comment yet, as I only just sowed them direct into the soil and I've seen a couple of seedlings coming up.

This range is the only range I've had little or no success with. But I think a big part of the problem is the poor instructions on the packets.

I am going to keep trying with the wintergreen. But I will find an alternative supplier.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X