No announcement yet.

James Wong - seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Joe, sounds like mine except they haven't started to swell. I too have hundreds of flowers.

Comment

• This post has been so useful. I just started another thread asking if JW was making it all sound a bit too easy in his book, and from reading this it looks like the answer is a big fat YUP! I love Real Seeds, so will go through them if I do decide to buy any of the seeds I'd earmarked.
      Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

• I've got some musk melon plants grown from JW seeds, which are producing dozens of male flowers but no female - has anyone managed to get further than me? I'd have thought they'd like this weather!

Comment

• I haven't tried them. I'd forgotten that my purslane seeds were from the JW range. They're showing very little sign of life yet
          Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

• well, the electric daisies have done well as have the rats tails radishes which are very nice in a salad. The cucamelons are only just climbing cos the slugs had them. my musk melons just like LOL,s - only male flowers.

Comment

• I thought I might find a thread on here, given how the Magazine is stuffed with JW bumpf on a monthly basis.
              In a word: ****. I was completely sold on the idea initially and bought about seven packets of seeds and two live plants.
              Underpacked packets. Very poor germination. The live plants were very slow to arrive. (the 'mouse melons' have grown really well though, in fairness.)
              Until I'd read through this thread, I didn't realise just how widely available most of these seeds were elsewhere, just without all the heavy marketing.

I sent a letter of complaint to Suttons who were kind enough to send me replacement seeds but their reply suggested they hadn't really even read my letter, I was just sent every seed I'd mentioned, including the two I stated germinated very well.

Not a range I'd touch again.
              Planted in the Midlands, now growing in N. Kent.

Comment

• Rats tail coming up - all 16 outside after 6 days
                Mooli - all 16 outside after 5 days
                These were sowed before I found this thread so I couldn't check numbers in packet.
                Seedlings seem okay so far.

Wongs seeds from Eden Project - I wonder how they would respond to reading this thread?
                Birkacre in chorley also stocks them. I will mention this to them next time I am in.
                Yet to open wintergreen, daisies packs. Ill let you know.

Just to clarify what I have read. Is is all JW seeds where the issues are occurring or just those supplied by Suttons? It could be a storage, transport or batch issue.
                Has anyone written to or had replies from GYO magazine staff please?

Sorry for questions.
                P

Comment

• This is just plain Wong
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

• I sowed a few of these into a windowsill planter two weeks ago, and they're just starting to come up. I bought my seeds from RealSeeds.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
                      I sowed a few of these into a windowsill planter two weeks ago, and they're just starting to come up. I bought my seeds from RealSeeds.
                      They aren't "James Wong Seeds" from RS. They are the same types of plant but grown to RS standards - I got the impression it was the seeds with JW's names on that are where the problem lies regardless of supplier.
                      Last edited by marchogaeth; 07-03-2014, 02:10 PM.
                      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• Yes, that was my impression too - I was giving my seeds' behaviour as a comparison.

Comment

• Sorry if I misunderstood, just wanted to be clear. (I love RS.)

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
                            Yes, that was my impression too - I was giving my seeds' behaviour as a comparison.
                            But you didn't say what variety of seeds you have. Cucamelons as a wild guess?

Comment

• I've not read the whole thread, but I get the general gist from other threads ...

Here's what I've sown of JW seeds that HAS worked:
                              Queensland Arrowroot (4/6)
                              Dahlia Yams (5/6)
                              Wild White Alpine Strawberries (not counted, but probably 70% +)
                              Inca Berries (1/6 - that's all I wanted and didn't have room to pot more on so I didn't give the others a chance - they were very slow)

My huckleberries were from Real Seeds IIRC, and Golden Pearls was 6/6 and black (Wonderberry) was 2/6

I have got other JW seeds too, but it's not time to sow them yet ...

Comment

• So is JW bergamot the same as bee balm? I've just had a quick look at his site - it all looks quite expensive, whether it grows or not!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X