Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armpitted Tomatoes

F1 Sungold. Flum's fave tomato.

I don't usually buy ready grown toms, well - the odd one maybe if it takes my fancy...usually heritage only though.

But this year I stood next to one in a nursery and by golly, it leapt right into my hand. £1.20 for a fine looking plant, just about to flower.

Took it home. [I had paid for it, obviously!].

Nipped out 3 'armpits' and put them into modules; so now I've got potentially 4 F1 Sungolds from one £1.20 plant.

I'll keep putting the armpits into compost and repotting as they grow on....making probably at least 15 plants all from one original plant.

And to top it all, the first bud opened today so the first flower on it is out.
    Last edited by zazen999; 16-05-2010, 09:21 AM.

In the immortal words of Alan Partridge, "Cashback!"
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Sungold throw out 'armpit shoots' at a fair rate of knots don't they? I usually only grow a couple, and root a couple of side-shoots and that does us right through the season

Comment

I just thought I'd mention it now at the start of the season, so that anyone new can try it and get lots of lovely new plants for free! Rather than mention it when it's too late to try it.

As they are the same age as the parent, they fruit quickly as well; and on shorter stems so not as much leggyness going on.

I have also got an overwintered tomato [no idea which variety as I picked it out of trimmings and took a cutting last summer] which survived and has also got it's first baby tomato on it.
        Last edited by zazen999; 15-05-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I had never heard of this before so thank you,do you just pot them up or dip them in a little rooting powder first?

Comment

Nice tip, thanks
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I was on the phone to my mum who's a keen gardener and has been for years and told her about this. Her response was one of those classic, "Reeaaaallly?"s!
              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
              Snadger - Director of Poetry
              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I've never bothered with rooting powder, just stick them into a 3inch pot of damp compost

Comment

Thank you for mentioning that. I got what was supposed to be 4 seedlings in a pack for 64p from Wilkos but there was an extra one. They all looked pretty sorry for themselves but are now doing well. Will definitely give this a go once they get to that stage.

Comment

thanks for the reminder; I'll be trying the armpits this year. Sungold is my fave tomato
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As Sarz says - no need for any powder.

Toms form roots along their stems - so just stick the armpits [the bits that you nip out anyway as they grow] straight into little pots or modules of compost; water well and wait. They will flop over for a few days, but most of them will perk up and in a week or two you will have a new plant ready for potting on.

Comment

I've 'armpitted' (new word?) a couple of plants from Cherokee Purple. Small as yet, but perfectly proportioned. My un-sungolds are F3 this year and looking nice and strong.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have three armpits doing well. I put mine in the shade for about 4/ 5 days and then gradually accustomed them to the sunlight. It stopped them fainting so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                            I've 'armpitted' (new word?) a couple of plants from Cherokee Purple. Small as yet, but perfectly proportioned. My un-sungolds are F3 this year and looking nice and strong.
                            It is now, It's in the title!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              It is now, It's in the title!
                              Common as muck you lot! The Tories are in power now and trying to bring a bit of decorum to the land. Sideshoots, if you don't mind!!!!!Lol
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X