No announcement yet.

Armpitted Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it is better to root them by standing them in a glass with a little water on a shady windowsill. In a week you'll see the roots form and you can pot them on then....no droopy sulky bit.

Also a good way of taking pelagonium cuttings.
    Last edited by Paulottie; 28-05-2010, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I always root them as Paulette does. You then know which ones are going to make a plant, or not.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

either way - don't waste those armpits!

Comment

Put a plastic bag over pot to keep humidity up , they go bonkers, and no droop.
          Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
          Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

Comment

Ah well, you see, I'm not organised enough to have a galss of water or pot of compost on hand! I always do it in the greenhouse and stick the cutting under the main plant. amazing I get any at all really!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              Ah well, you see, I'm not organised enough to have a galss of water or pot of compost on hand! I always do it in the greenhouse and stick the cutting under the main plant. amazing I get any at all really!
              Good idea Flum...........saves you having to label them also!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Great tip. I've started some off, just stuck into moist compost on a sunny ledge and they're looking good.
                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Last week popped 5 side shoots into water and all have started to root. No idea what type as I start loosing labels when I start repotting toms It'll be a surprise.

Comment

yay, my armpitted tomatoes have roots!! I have 4 extra tomatoes on top of the 30-odd. OH thinks I've gone insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksprat View Post
                      Me too I had 125 before I starting giving them away!! Will remember this for next year though
                      And I thought mine 35 were too many to accomodate in the greenhouse with 12 chillies and some cukes

Comment

To you folks who are going mad (like I did last year) and have tons of tomato plants growing, with not a lot of space, how many trusses do you let them get before you nip out the tops?

I have about 12 plants in my 6 x 4 plastic greenhouse so I can't really let them get too big.
                        Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          If it is just the leaves, with no growing tip then they won't work. They have to have a growing tip.

How long are you leaving them? A week [well watered, don't let them dry out] usually does it.
                          Sorry forgot I'd posted that query. That's where I was going wrong them.

I'm constantly pinching the armpits out - d'oh keep forgetting. I'll try this next time!

Comment

I remembered this post as I was nipping out the first side shoots .... I was in a bit of a rush and just squeezed them into the remainder of compost that was left over after potting on some lettuce ... over did it with the watering "/ left them in the shed and totally forgot all about them ......... went into to the shed this morning to look for my gloves and I thought hmmmmm where have those tomato plants come from ??? LMSO

Thanks very much for sharing the tip

Comment

So, this thread starting out with the F1 Sungold toms. Why are they so special? I've just googled them and I've just found the price for 10 seeds! Flamin' Nora. Anyway I'll wait until I've got vouchers but what makes them so special (I've already guessed they taste fab). They are on my wish list for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
                                So, this thread starting out with the F1 Sungold toms. Why are they so special? I've just googled them and I've just found the price for 10 seeds! Flamin' Nora. Anyway I'll wait until I've got vouchers but what makes them so special (I've already guessed they taste fab). They are on my wish list for next year.
                                The taste is wonderful - a great balance between sweetness and sharpness. Over-sweet tomatoes can be bland, but not these. However, F1s are expensive because someone (usually in China) has to cross the parents each year to get seed, and I can tell you from experience, tomato crossing is fiddly - although I 'm sure if you do it all day long you get a bit good!

It's possible to sow the seeds from F1 hybrids and select out those tasting most like the hybrid, over a period of several years. I'm in Year 3 of this process. This year I'm growing my selection plus a few of the original Sungold to compare the taste.

I have also crossed Sungold with a heritage tomato to get a bit of the sungold flavour in a cross. This is looking hopeful for a good flavour too. I'll keep you posted!
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X