No announcement yet.

Armpitted Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto. I've grown open pollinated varities this year with the hopes to reduce my seed costs for next year (HA!) but I keep hearing about these dang F1 sunnies. Now I HAVE to get some next year.
    The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Thanks Flum. Llamas just prepare yourself for a shock when you see the price (T&M are currently out of stock)

Comment

Tomato : Sungold F1 (Seeds)

Comment

How large should they be, before you pinch them out to pot on then? I've some probably about 3 inches tall, still growing from the armpits. Can I pull them out and pot on?

Comment

Mine were from 2 and 1/2 to 4 inches and they seem to have rooted well.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl tonight. So do they grow fast to catch up then?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                Thanks, I'll give it a whirl tonight. So do they grow fast to catch up then?
                yup, one of my armpitted tomatoes decided it was going to flower must remember to plant it out

Comment

After being away on holiday, I pulled some huge armpit toms off yesterday. I thought sod it and stuck them in a bit of rough ground/supposed to be lawn, where the chickens had been running. It rained alot after that, so we'll see what happens.
                  "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

My armpitted toms - I have been good, I put labels in them.
                    Attached Files

Comment

They're looking very healthy mrscorpio And thank you for the jar of water tip Paulottie, sounds perfect (and saves a leeeetle bit of space in the already chocked GH!).

Comment

What a brilliant idea. I wish that I'd read this thread yesterday. I pulled a huge growth off and threw it in the compost bin! I think I'll go and rescue it! This is my first year veg growing and I only have three tommie plants which a neighbour gave me so more would be great. Having said that, I guess there's a limit to how many I can squeeze into a plastic 'blow away' greenhouse!

Comment

Just bought some more tomato plants from Wilkos..I chose the ones with lots of armpit growth.....

Comment

This is certainly a steep learning curve. I have just discovered that the tomatoes I de-armpitted yesterday were, in fact, bush tomatoes which should have been left alone! I thought that I was struggling to find which bits to snip off and which bits to leave! I couldn't save any from the compost bin either, they were wilted beyond resurrection.

Comment

I "armpitted" some plants which were given to me as "bush" but after a few weeks growth they obviously weren't. I put the cuttings in a jamjar of water to see if they would root. Each one had many tens of inch roots protruding all the way down the stem. I am going to pot them up tomorrow and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Never knew that I could do that (armpit)!!
                                I learn something every time I delve into this site, Fab!

What a brilliant plan, I'll try it even though I have zillions of toms and no greenhouse yet. Started with seeds in Feb, 'cause i am now in Scotland and wanted to give them a start.

Unfortunately the greenhouse is not yet up, but I have baby toms anyway, and they are outside in pots, in the garden, and even one in the lounge window!!! Quite a sight!
                                My house got taken over by them and chilies ( Fruit on them also).
                                Anyone else planted toms in the garden in between the plants?

Thanks Folks
                                Mizjazzi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X