No announcement yet.

Armpitted Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice technique, I have heard better names...
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Would like to try this, but will they fruit this year? as they must be realy small plants, or do you need to let them get a bit bigger than you would normaly nip out?

sunnymay.

Comment

Cool. I didn't know that you could do this - thanks folks.
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Oh my goodness I am just thinking of all the armpits I have turned my nose up to lol. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one. Brilliant idea.

Comment

btw...I have one underarm growth that I must have missed before. It's about 8" long and producing flower can I nip this off and restart as well?

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymay10 View Post
              Would like to try this, but will they fruit this year? as they must be realy small plants, or do you need to let them get a bit bigger than you would normaly nip out?

sunnymay.
              Yes, they are a bit shorter than their parents but will fruit this year, just like their olds.

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                btw...I have one underarm growth that I must have missed before. It's about 8" long and producing flower can I nip this off and restart as well?
                Yes. it will wilt for a few days but put it deep into compost and it should be fine.

Comment

You need to see a Doctor about that Brengirl!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    You need to see a Doctor about that Brengirl!
                    OMG I really should read what I wrote.

Comment

Wow that is interesting! I never knew that, although I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with at the mo.
                      Following on from Brengirl's question (the serious part ) - I have followed instructions on removing the armpits of my large non bush toms, but wanted to double check something please - they are still very bushy can I remove other branches/part of branches to thin them out abit? And if so, should I snap them off with my fingers or use a knife?
                      Ta muchly xx

Comment

One of my bought sungolds is already proucing it's first small fruit, and it's armpit progeny are beginning to flower although only 4" high, I think it's becasue they are at the same stage as the parent plant. Great isn't it?

Comment

It certainly helps me justify the cost (£3) of a packet of Sungold seeds: I can eke out a pack for 3 years or more
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

OMG I really should read what I wrote.

Ah, I see its a grey/white hare as well!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ooo, good tip, thanks! Haven't yet pulled off the shoots from mine and was bemoaning the fact that I've given away all the spares so couldn't give any to my mum and dad just the other morning (they've got spider mites, their tomatoes, not mum and dad )!
                              Last edited by Rabidbun; 16-05-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Great reminder....thanks....and love the new profesional term...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X