Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Sounds a good idea lolie, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Besides, they don't have to be squares, they can be any shape you desire.
    And keyhole gardens don't have to be round, either. It's really the central compost tower and the slope which make them work.

Might make a small one and see how it goes. What have I got to lose?
    Last edited by lolie; 21-03-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Just thought I'd put an update of how my beds are coming on, there's still room for some successional plantings, flowers & more tender plants like the humble tomato. Are you trying the SFG method & if so, hows it going?

Attached Files
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• I'm using square foot spacings in my raised beds.

Only got stuff into the ground today, so it will be interesting to see the results.

It's not laid out how I wanted at the moment, partly because I was hoping to have more beds ready and partly because some of the seedlings I wanted to put into the beds decided to **** themselves over the last week.

I'm also not using the mix I wanted at the moment. My beds are 120 litre and at the moment each contains 60 litres coconut coir, 30 litres MPC and 30 litres of a vege potting mix which contains blood and bone.

The lack of vermiculite probably won't matter over winter but I definitely want to add it for the summer crops along with some mushroom compost.

Starting my 220 litre compost bin today as well.
        Last edited by lolie; 17-04-2016, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• I have started 2 small 3 x 3ft beds for the first time this year and so far it seems to be working as for one not as much slug/snail damage and good growth.

Just a question about replenishment. When say harvesting my radish (16 in a ft), can I keep re-sowing to replace harvested as I know you are not supposed to keep sowing the same veg in the same spot over and over or is this just annually ?

Cheers.

Comment

• Ideally you want to put a different crop in to the one you have harvested, this will reduce the harbouring of pests/disease. If it's the only square available then put some more in & see what happens.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Just thought I'd put an update of how my beds are coming on, there's still room for some successional plantings, flowers & more tender plants like the humble tomato. Are you trying the SFG method & if so, hows it going?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63227[/ATTACH]
              Ok I need to ask why do peeps not have all of the same veg in the same place? So for example why do you have squares of onions dotted around instead of a groups of squares together full of onions?

I'm sure that's a silly question but I'm tired today so humour me please?

Comment

• Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
                Ok I need to ask why do peeps not have all of the same veg in the same place? So for example why do you have squares of onions dotted around instead of a groups of squares together full of onions?

I'm sure that's a silly question but I'm tired today so humour me please?
                It is believed that companion planting confuses the beasties, whether that's true or not I don't know. What I do know is from my experience crops don't seem to suffer as much as traditional planting.

Comment

• Ah.....thank you.

Comment

• I have found that dotting different plants about also helps with potential light problems. As onions and leeks etc grow straight up and don't have a leafy canopy they can help leafier veggies that are planted next to them get more light.
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• I was wondering if you could mix veg in the same square foot as say you would have 16 radish, could you have half and half of something else that you can plant 16 of ( as long as they are not antagonistic with each other of course) when I pull my radish I want to plant something different in the same hole as in summer they will bolt. How long also before the compost mixture will exhaust in a square foot bed ?

Comment

This may help you to start planning your sq ft beds. Obviously you can expand the sheet to your own needs.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...5TaXc&hl=en_GB
                        Thanks for the spreadsheet, I am new to this gardening lark so all help greatly appreciated. Printed out & in my seed box for reference

Comment

• Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                          I was wondering if you could mix veg in the same square foot as say you would have 16 radish, could you have half and half of something else that you can plant 16 of ( as long as they are not antagonistic with each other of course) when I pull my radish I want to plant something different in the same hole as in summer they will bolt. How long also before the compost mixture will exhaust in a square foot bed ?
                          The square foot gardening plans are guidelines of how much space plants need,so you can lift 8 radish & plant 3 spinach,8 carrots or 3 turnips if you want,as long as you don't forget & then one day look at your radish bed & think what are those weeds? The compost would be fine,when I lift my potatoes (in bags) I plant tomatoes,peppers & flowers straight in after with a bit of BFB for nutrients.

Comment

• I am a believer in the 'cram them all in together' school of growing. At the moment 1 of my footish squares has turnip, beetroot and spring onions in it.

Go on be a dibble and have a go to see what works for you.
                            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• I'm going to try this SFG in my new beds. Just sitting down with some graph paper and trying to plan. Trouble is I keep on picking my iPad up and reading new posts/threads, I think I'm addicted .....!!
                              It's all so interesting and far more varied than you would ever find in a single gardening reference book!!
                              Plus, I'm nosey, I like to see what everyone else is doing!!!

So anyway, SFG, anything can go anywhere, next to anything - just to be aware of taller plants overshadowing the smaller ones. Can I put some nasturtiums in with the mix - and how many to a square ...?
                              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• In the past I have put 1 nasturtium in per 4 square - at the point where they meet as it means you have as nearly as much veg growing room.

However, remember the nast's are only attractive (I think) to the cabbage whites so are only useful for amondst your brassica's.

I now plant climpning nast's among a close flower bed to attract the whites away from my veg. Their sent is addictive to them (a bit like me and a good cheese). I grow the climbing variety as they will mingle in amongst the flowers rather than form a clump.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X