No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I put in between my winter planted garlic? I've got all the radishes and lettuce I can use.
    There's about 5" between the stems. I wondered if some dwarf peas till mangetout stage might be ready before the garlic needs harvesting would work? or if you've got any ideas I'd be pleased to hear them as the empty spaces bug me.

Comment

• How about some Beetroot, Turnip, Onion Sets.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Thanks Bigmally, I haven't got any turnips sown yet, so that's where a few are going

Comment

• Hi everyone, I'm new to this gardening thing so hoping to get some advice. I'm interested in this square foot gardening topic as I thought it would be an easy intro to vegetable gardening. Is it too late for veg this year or are there still things I could try out? Have just built my first raised bed 3x4, I have 2, any suggestions on soil type? Thanks to eveyone in advance for any answers to my many questions!
          sigpic

Comment

• Hi Jay, welcome to the vine.

You can still plant loads of stuff, radish, lettuce and other salad leaves, turnips, spinach, spring onions, carrots, beetroot, herbs, after the summer heat has gone you can also get some oriental greens such as Pak Choi in too.

Whatever soil you have, make sure it is free from stones and full of organic material such as well rotted manure and/or compost. You also need to make sure that you have got out as many of the weeds as possible to give your own plants the best possible start.

On my You Tube channel I have a video titled 'Square Foot Gardening' where I started off a square foot bed in August last year, so you are definitely not too late

Andy
            Last edited by Samurailord; 27-05-2014, 11:52 AM.
            http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

• Thank you Andy for the fantastic video! Off to get my canes and seeds and get started! Appreciate the advice and can't wait to see if I get any success!
              sigpic

Comment

• That's a really interesting video - thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Square foot gardening boxes.

We took to this idea after reading his book. Best way to garden in my opinion, even better if your coming with age and pains! There is no bending down, hardly any weed pulling to do. No varmits in the garden either.
                  The only draw back is spring time, up here in Northern Ontario Canada, the winter freezes everything rock solid, and the beds take a while to fully thaw out, so one must be patient and keep an eye on the soil thermometer.

We grow quite a bit of crops out of our 7 boxes. Nice thing about these boxes is, if you have to move, you can take them with you. With the expense of building them, adding expensive soils and fertilizers, one sure wouldn't want them to stay behind.

Some walls are 8" high (White ones, that was our first ones). The latest one I built was this spring, is 5'X12' and has 18" walls (brown box). This one will be used for potatoes, sweet peas, and carrots.

Happy Gardening people.

Attached Files

Comment

• Welcome to the vine Bandit.........good post.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• What he (BM) said!

Comment

• Good post Bandit543 and lucky you to stay in Northern Ontario! My son lived in Toronto for 2 years and we know how cold it gets there! Funny thing is he is desperately trying to find a way back! You do have lovely summers so I guess your raised beds bloom! Going to look into beds like this for my parents, think they would really love them.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hi, I had a go at veg growing in the garden without great success and tried SFG a couple of year ago. I have to say that it has improved my results and is easy to look after. Hope you have success!

Comment

• Hi Guys

I tired Square foot gardening about 5 years ago with limited success, the problem I had is slugs and snails are everywhere in my garden and they just ate everything and I gave up in the end.

I would like to start again, any suggested about how to make the raised SFG slugproof?

I read something about putting guttering round the outside? or even thought about some electrical wires on a battery

Many thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                              Hi Guys

I tired Square foot gardening about 5 years ago with limited success, the problem I had is slugs and snails are everywhere in my garden and they just ate everything and I gave up in the end.

I would like to start again, any suggested about how to make the raised SFG slug proof?

I read something about putting guttering round the outside? or even thought about some electrical wires on a battery

Many thanks
                              i posted some youtube stuff on the snails and slugs thread, about electric slip proofing , seems to work
                              Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

• Hi Bal

Sorry Im new here, where would I find the slugs and snails thread?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X