Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vixylix View Post
    They look fab BM - I love the randomness!
    Me too, Vix - that's what impresses me with SFG - there's no rigidity - think it must be my 'arty-farty' side coming out of me .......!!!
    ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
    a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
    - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• If you could only grow veg from September until June using SFG (probably only 6-8 squares) but undercover (Polytunnel) what crops would you choose to be most productive/successful for youngsters?

I have a few ideas and some things could be started in August to go in as plants, other things could be started with heat and light indoors but KISS is best!
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• Hmm, I might have to join in.

I found an old 8 foot blind in the garage ceiling. Should give enough lats to mark out 7 8x4 foot beds but I think I'll start off with one for now.

So how many yacon per square them?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          So how many yacon per square them?
          None.............The problem would be disturbing neighbouring squares when harvesting.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
            If you could only grow veg from September until June using SFG (probably only 6-8 squares) but undercover (Polytunnel) what crops would you choose to be most productive/successful for youngsters?
            Off the top of my head..........maybe Autumn Onion Sets, Leeks, Parsnips, Spring Cabbage, Garlic.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Marchogaeth.............Broad beans, peas, salad leaves, spinach, chard, carrots..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                None.............The problem would be disturbing neighbouring squares when harvesting.
                OR 16 squares per plant

I've seen in planting plans courgettes having two squares - I would have thought 2X2 squares as I cant imagine courgettes fitting into that space.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Yes, in an ideal world 4 squares would be given to Courgettes. I'm giving them 1 square with the intention of trying to grow them vertically up a cane so they end up something like this:

Last edited by Bigmallly; 30-05-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Off the top of my head..........maybe Autumn Onion Sets, Leeks, Parsnips, Spring Cabbage, Garlic.
                    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Marchogaeth.............Broad beans, peas, salad leaves, spinach, chard, carrots..............
                    I also had short day length greens like mizuna, turnips if I started them in modules in August. VC hadn't got carrots down so good one. Ideally, I want two crops per square or more. Thinking to green manure the lot over summer when it gets water but nothing else? Best plant there - mustard or spinach?? Would have to be chopped and dug in green.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Yes, in an ideal world 4 squares would be given to Courgettes. I'm giving them 1 square with the intention of trying to grow them vertically up a cane so they end up something like this:

BM, I've only given 2 squares to my courgettes and wish I'd allotted 4 each. Could I stake mine now to grow vertically, rather than sprawling. They're just going to overrun everything in neighbouring squares ...
                      Attached Files
                      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• That's small enough to stake. I think it's important to remove leaves once they are not productive. I used to do this when I had them in the poly tunnel. BM would you plant a bush one or a vine on the basis that is is easier to grow up and over.

Comment

• I grew Costa Romanescue up a trellis - two in a three foot by one foot space. Another 2 didn't make it as the stems snapped when I was tying them up.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                            That's small enough to stake. I think it's important to remove leaves once they are not productive. I used to do this when I had them in the poly tunnel. BM would you plant a bush one or a vine on the basis that is is easier to grow up and over.
                            I would think a vine variety would be easier to tie in, I would just keep removing the bottom leaves as they tend to rot quickly anyway. A bush "may" grow in a cage, I've never tried it.

Comment

• A bit late Susie but here is my brassica bed plan.

Attached Files

Comment

• Good job you confirmed "mini Varieties" of Cabbage & Cauli Sara as otherwise they would need 1 square per plant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X