Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday I sowed 20 pots of sweetcorn ovation.

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
      Late with sweetcorn this year. Thinking of direct sowing in to the ground. I think the soil is warm enough. I've not done this before though.

Would be Swift

Anyone any experience of doing this?
      ​​​​
      I did it once a few years ago but a lot of seed got eaten or didn't grow so since then, late or not, they go in pots first and then move outdoors. It might have been bad seed but maybe mice or other pests.
      Last edited by greenishfing; 10-05-2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

I did it once a few years ago but a lot of seed got eaten or didn't grow so since then, late or not, they go in pots first and then move outdoors. It might have been bad seed but maybe mice or other pests.
        quanglewangle A few years back, due to late cold winds and an anticipated crop fail we re-started Swift on June 1st. Admittedly the seed was chitted on kitchen roll but the cobs all ripened just in time (for the records - so did the original struggling plants.. we ate a lot of sweetcorn that year..)
        Last edited by Mr Bones; 10-05-2022, 06:02 PM. Reason: add the @
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
          Yesterday I sowed 20 pots of sweetcorn ovation.
          14 of them have germinated overnight

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post

14 of them have germinated overnight
            That's sweetcorn. That's why there's no need for anyone to panic.
            Last edited by quanglewangle; 13-05-2022, 01:03 PM. Reason: Two glasses of a nice red at lunch
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• A lot of my Spagna Bianca beans have failed (only 6 came up), so I've sown a whole load more.
              They're all ones I save from last year, but I also save two other varieties of runner bean from last year and they germinated perfectly. Don't know why only these ones are failing.

Comment

• Originally posted by bramble View Post

Hi Annie, No, I sowed them into a seed tray and will plant them out when the weather is warmer.
                I did the same last year and they were fine.
                bramble my nigella seeds are coming along and have the start of true leaves, but still tiny. Thinking they would struggle if I tried to put them out now. What size do you plant them out? Can prick out and pot up while I wait.

Comment

• Annie, I wouldnt plant them out at that small size.
                  I usually plant the seedlings into individual small pots until they are a bit sturdier.
                  Having said all that, the seeds can be sown directly in the ground where you want them to grow.
                  I just find this way works for me.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Just planted out about 70 sweetcorn swift.

4 rows 20cm by 20cm then a 40cm access row and another 4 rows 20cm by 20cm
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Compress_20220516_173711_1078.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2545839
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• On Sunday I sowed more cucumbers and all my squashes and courgettes. Still so much more to do!
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Today I sowed all my French and Runner Beans. Chitted Swift and Lark Sweetcorn. Sowed more lettuces, spring onions and beetroots.
                        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Today I sowed 8 celebration & 8 moonlight runner beans in pots on the windowsill

Comment

• This morning a pinch of spring onions in a pot then some radishes and mixed lettuce.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Basil and salad.

Comment

• Today some marvel of four seasons lettuce sowed direct in a little trug next to some spring onions I planted in there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X