Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sowed more radish and mixed salad leaves.
    Potted on some of my chilli peppers.
    Planted out the last of my sweet peas.
    Sowed some mixed scarlet runners.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Herbs
      Basil
      Tarragon
      Dill
      Sorrel

More spring onions

And some Rubinette and Lucinde lettuce resown as the first lot got somewhat leggy.

Comment

• Potted up some sprouted squash, cucumber and kale seeds.
        Also sowed some basil and vegetable mallow seeds.

Comment

• Potted on some tomatoes, pumpkin and courgettes.

Comment

• Got my fifth bag of Charlotte potatoes planted up yesterday & the first tub of Desiree.

Comment

• Put some bean seeds to sprout:
              -16 Cobra French beans
              -16 Spagna Bianca runner beans
              -16 Black runner beans (forget the name)
              -16 Giant runner beans I accidentally bred myself (a cross between Spagna Bianca and Enorma).

Comment

• Potted up 17 pre-sprouted sweetcorn seeds and 18 pre-sprouted asparagus pea seeds.

Comment

• Sown my Climbing French Bean 'Blauhilde' into loo rolls.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Late with sweetcorn this year. Thinking of direct sowing in to the ground. I think the soil is warm enough. I've not done this before though.

Would be Swift

Anyone any experience of doing this?
                    ​​​​
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                      Late with sweetcorn this year. Thinking of direct sowing in to the ground. I think the soil is warm enough. I've not done this before though.

Would be Swift

Anyone any experience of doing this?
                      ​​​​
                      I've never outright direct sown, but last year I did sprout the seeds on damp paper then direct sow those sprouted seeds.
                      Considering the fact that they were pre-sprouted, emergence was surprisingly poor (something must have eaten them below ground, or maybe they dried out), but the ones which did come up grew and cropped well.
                      The variety was Swift, same as you.
                      I didn't do it this early, mind. I put my seeds on damp paper at the end of May, and sowed in the soil 2nd June.
                      Last edited by ameno; 05-05-2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Thanks ameno .i have sprouted things on paper before and had patchy results and resolved if I tried it again I would cut up the paper and plant that too. Worried that too many fine root hairs would have bound to the paper and got damaged on seed removal.
                        But, yes, might try it.
                        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• I've sown my first lot of sweetcorn in modules. One I disturbed when it had just germinated. It didn't grow after that. Very anecdotal evidence and only the one seed. But I have read elsewhere they don't like being disturbed much.

I've grown from modules before and planted out when a few inches high and a decent root structure had formed. I've also sown direct. Both worked fine. Your climate would seem to be milder than mine, QW.

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                            Thanks ameno .i have sprouted things on paper before and had patchy results and resolved if I tried it again I would cut up the paper and plant that too. Worried that too many fine root hairs would have bound to the paper and got damaged on seed removal.
                            But, yes, might try it.
                            That doesn't really matter. Those will regrow in a matter of hours, anyway.

Comment

• I haven’t sown sweetcorn yet,I’ll buy seeds soon,I didn’t think it’s late tho. Germination might be quicker indoors,easier to keep them from drying out whilst germinating too. It would be quicker direct sowing,maybe put some clear plastic over the sowings to heat the soil more & it won’t dry out so quickly & stop mice?

Comment

• Finally sowed sweetcorn, way late for us but sweetcorn is famous for catching up.
                                Went the old tried method of sowing in modules in the end.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X