This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ameno View Post
    I got one of the large ones (£18, rather than £10 for those small ones), which is why mine had more fruit on it. I guess they probably sold out of those ones by now. They did get them in on the 20th of March, after all.

Weight the kumquats. Measure out an equal weight of water and an equal weight of sugar.
    Cut in thin round slices, reserving the seeds (there are a lot).
    Put the sliced kumquats and water in a pan. Put the seeds in a muslin bag and put those in, too. Simmer until rinds are soft (took about an hour for me).
    Remove and discard the seeds.
    Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.
    Bring to boil, and boil rapidly until setting point is reached, testing for set in the usual way (took about 10 minutes for me, although it's a slightly soft set), then jar.

Just make sure to use a pan far bigger than you think you need. There's something about citrus fruit which makes marmalade really foam up when cooking it, far more than most jams do.
    Yep - I was glad to get the tiddler for £10.
    Surprised that they had any left at all.
    Thanks so much for all the info.
    A posh jar or two of marmalade would’ve cost more than a tenner - so I’m more than pleased.
    Thanks again for the tip off.

Comment

Forgot to mention, but be sure to lid the pan during the simmering stage, or it'll lose too much water. The rapid boil stage should be done uncovered, obviously.

Comment

Perfect - thanks

Comment

First ever Wild garlic harvest (from home grown)
          Last edited by Small pumpkin; 09-04-2020, 04:42 PM.

Comment

lettuce, leek Blanketweed
            V.P.
            The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Rocket, salad leaves, pea shoots,

Comment

Land cress, garlic chives, All year round lettuce then some PSB and Kale for tonight's dinner.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Cress. My first harvest from seeds sown in 2020 :-)

Comment

First very sparing oak leaf lettuce pickings sown this year. Apart from that overwintered perpetual spinach, lamb's lettuce and a bit of rocket.
                    Last edited by elleme; 13-04-2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
                      Have you got a good recipe, ameno?
                      Thank you so much for the tip off about the kumquat plants in Lidl (and for the recipe), ameno.
                      Only managed to get one jar from my small plant, but there are quite a lot of fruits still to come.
                      The resulting marmalade is absolutely delicious - I reckon it would’ve cost a tenner in a posh shop for a jar of such yummy and different marmalade.

Comment

• A bit of PSB and a couple of leeks. Getting really thin on the ground now, although the overwintered chilli has a lot of fruit on it

Comment

• 2 meals of psb, one for the freezer. Enough rhubarb for a pie or crumble and a bunch of parsley.

Comment

• just some of the last of the overwintered lettuce from the GH. This years sowing are making their presence known :O)
                            V.P.
                            The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

• Asparagus & purple sprouting broccoli

Comment

• Baby New Potatoes!

My pot-sown, greenhouse-grown Accord potatoes aren't due ready until the end of the month, but We couldn't resist taking a couple of plants early. Both plants had a large number of spudlets, so it bodes well for when they are properly ready.

They'll be joining for lunch some assorted volunteer broccoli greens and florets from a patch I need to clear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	2387030

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X