No announcement yet.

Growing some early tomatoes - 2019

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got one coming up in my GH too ,was wondering it to leave it or bring it in .

Comment

Red robin in the hydroponics has come up.

Comment

First one up today - Mrs Rucks

Comment

8 out of 9 up for me (still waiting for Totem). 15 little seedlings in the bedroom.

I say Goodnight to them when I go to bed and Good morning when I wake up. I draw back the curtains and move them into the sunlight that is always streaming through the window in Sunshiny South Wales.
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 14-01-2019, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Red robin and micro tom in the hydroponics has come up.

Comment

Having read about micro tomatoes on another thread, I have ordered seed of Tiny Tim and Windowbox Red, as these should be a manageable size inside for the next few months (if I can get them to grow ). I haven't grown tomatoes from seed before, and my query is, how warm do they need to be once they come up and are growing on?

I have a grow light which I am using on some cuttings in my utility room, and the temperature overnight is tending to be about 11 degrees just now. Is this warm enough, or should I bring them into the livingroom which will usually be a bit warmer?
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Tiny Tim and Windowbox red now sown - a first for me. Hopefully get some tasty tomatoes in June.

Comment

I'm sure you will Babru! Post photos as you go on and we can have a nosey I love a photo!
                  Once mine have germinated I keep mine on the kitchen windowsill, away from any radiators that go on and off.

Comment

Babru, don't forget to save some seeds from your toms and join the Tomato Seed Circle. I've never heard of Window Box Red so I'll be interested to see how the perform.

Comment

My IT skills have so far not been up to putting photos on unfortunately... However if I get any tomatoes, and they taste ok I would definitely be up for sharing seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                        My IT skills have so far not been up to putting photos on unfortunately... However if I get any tomatoes, and they taste ok I would definitely be up for sharing seeds.
                        Have you tried to add photos? If you are using a phone, try chopping a bit off - sides and top or bottom . The usual problem is the photo is to large.

PleSe have a go - honestly once you've done it once it is easy
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 19-01-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Yesterday I sowed my first tomatoes 4 balconi red,4 hahms gelbe & 2 tiny tim. (First time trying tiny tim).

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Babru, don't forget to save some seeds from your toms and join the Tomato Seed Circle. I've never heard of Window Box Red so I'll be interested to see how the perform.
                            Just caught up with this. According to Tatiana, Windowbox is one of Tiny Tim's parents bred by the University of New Hampshire. So I need to get on and sow some Tiny Tim.

Comment

Two more varieties of my tomato seeds have germinated.
                              Beliy Naliv.
                              Demidov..

Sowed two seeds of Maskota today.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

So update on the early tomato seeds I sowed on 12 Jan. they all germinated but I accidentally broke one so have 11 of 4 varieties. They got a bit leggy as I didn’t spot that they had come though but all doing ok on the sunny front Windowsill. I am planning to put them on today and will just plant a little deeper.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X