No announcement yet.

Growing some early tomatoes - 2019

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamite...you mean the sensible people...usually sow the seeds in March.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

These "early toms" we're sowing are mostly small bush plants that will stay on windowsills and in the GH until mature.
      Unless you can provide enough light and warmth, there's no point starting vine/cordon toms this early. Also, if you're growing them in a GH, they can be started earlier than those that will be planted outdoors

I stagger my sowings, a few each month for several months.

Comment

I grow 3 types, 5 plants of each type.
        But I'll start 3 of each in February, then 2 of each 4 or 5 weeks later.

Comment

Well have sown a dozen - 4 types as a wee experiment. Veggie chicken - Why do you say these couldn’t be outdoor ones. Was thinking probably these would be for the GH but could I not then put them in a bed in say May?

Comment

By May, they'll be tall plants so moving them around risks damage.

Have a look at last year's thread https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...8-a_95631.html It will give you some idea of what to expect in terms of size and ripening.
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 12-01-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Hulme View Post
              I grow 3 types, 5 plants of each type.
              But I'll start 3 of each in February, then 2 of each 4 or 5 weeks later.
              I stagger mine too,last year I sowed the earlies (6 plants) in January & the mains (45 plants) in March,this early growing has a little more effort involved but it’s worth it because we love sowing seeds & we can’t stop ourselves & slightly earlier tomatoes

Comment

I've decided I'm having a go at this with 'Tiny Tim'. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Red Riding Hood
                  red robin
                  micro tom
                  are up.

Comment

Micro Tom in the hydroponics is up and red robin is thinking about, definitely signs of life.

Comment

Still waiting for the hydroponics to start.
                      Last edited by Ms-T; 13-01-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

5 Cherry Falls seeds set to chit today, couple of months on a sill then into the gh for an end of may tom fest

Comment

Originally posted by rambleberry View Post
                          I've decided I'm having a go at this with 'Tiny Tim'. Fingers crossed!
                          Snap! We can compare newbie notes! Just waiting for mine to arrive then they’ll be in the heated propagator

Comment

Finally thought I'd better get my act together, so took warm compost out to greenhouse to sow them, only to find that my laziness at the end of the season, had done the job for me. In the Gartenperle pot were 3 seedlings, not looking happy, but alive and rooted
                            These are now in a little pot on the kitchen windowledge, hopefully they'll appreciate coming into the warm.
                            Guess that shows that they are hardier than we think, though?

Comment

Sowed 4 Balconi red yesterday - out of date seed so sowing in good time to get replacements if they don't germinate.
                              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                                Finally thought I'd better get my act together, so took warm compost out to greenhouse to sow them, only to find that my laziness at the end of the season, had done the job for me. In the Gartenperle pot were 3 seedlings, not looking happy, but alive and rooted
                                These are now in a little pot on the kitchen windowledge, hopefully they'll appreciate coming into the warm.
                                Guess that shows that they are hardier than we think, though?
                                There are several tom seedlings coming up in my GH too. I agree that they don't seem to need all the mollycoddling they receive for germination.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X