No announcement yet.

Growing some early tomatoes - 2019

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have ripe tomatoes on Tumbling Tom, Rambling Red Stripe and Bajaja and nothing tastes as good as the first homegrown tomatoes of summer.

Comment

• My GH smells of toms especially after I've pinched of the armpits but no matter how much i look at my toms they're just not ripe yet, so i'm feeling rather envious of yours VC.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I have a few green tomatoes, but none have ripen yet, and with the weather we've been having, I'm really not surprised.

I have also come to the conclusion that sowing in January and having them in my bay window for six months is not a winner either. Next year it will be March before I sow tomatoes, and I know I won't lose anything by waiting
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
          My GH smells of toms especially after I've pinched of the armpits but no matter how much i look at my toms they're just not ripe yet, so i'm feeling rather envious of yours VC.
          Not much to be envious of, Bren, but they are the first for me, so they're very special.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0815.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	2384241

Apologies for the blurriness - its the excitement.

Comment

• I started in jan too for the first time. I have lots of trusses and flowers. Even a few tomatoes but none ripe yet. Am thinking it is more about the weather this year than the fact that I sowed early. Not sure though I want to see what the final results for the year are before deciding whether to start that early again.

Comment

• I haven’t got any red tomatoes yet from my January sowed but there’s green tomatoes on them. All my March sowed plants just have flowers,it’s definitely worth sowing early for an earlier tomato & plants are nice too,if you have just a few you don’t feel like they’re taking over the windows.

Comment

• First few fruit off a Latah will be ready in 1 or 2 days. Sown mid-March and been outside since mid-May.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Not much to be envious of, Bren, but they are the first for me, so they're very special.
                  I can nearly smell those toms VC enjoy
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Reading up about early tomatoes, Latah look like a good bet for next year. How tall/wide have the plants got tmtt? Just wondering about having them indoors. No way I could have had mine outside here in mid-May as it has been too cold.
                    Last edited by Babru; 23-06-2019, 08:02 AM.
                    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• The plant with ripe fruit on is around 40cm tall and 50cm wide. The other plant is bigger, 50cm tall and 60cm wide, and doesn't have ripe fruit on yet. They were only in 500ml yoghurt pots until their potting on in mid-May. They are tied to bamboos cane to stop them from growing on the ground since they're a bush and like to sprawl.

Comment

• Thanks. Not too big then. From reading about them they sounded big and sprawling, but that is manageable.

Comment

• Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                          First few fruit off a Latah will be ready in 1 or 2 days. Sown mid-March and been outside since mid-May.
                          Yes, Latah always the first to produce toms for me.

Comment

• Got lots of trusses but nothing ripe yet

First time growing tomatoes. Sowed 28th Feb in heated propagator and grown in greenhouse bed warmed by heating cables.
                            Due to inexperience I have no idea how close these are to being ripe but would welcome estimates.

Manderin Tomatoes.
                            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                            ∃

Comment

• I've not heard of Manderin tomatoes so don't know what colour they'll be when ripe.
                              Waiting, anticipating, its all part of the excitement of growing tomatoes.

Comment

• They're golden orange according to this site, and should be ripe about 80 days after transplant. https://www.reneesgarden.com/product...mandarin-cross About now in fact

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X