Growing some early tomatoes - 2019

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delighted to find this thread today.

Was worrying that I had planted tomatoes way too early (got a bit excited during couple of days sunshine late Feb).

Plants now on window sill but getting a bit big for indoors. At least in opinion of my other half. However suspect still a bit cold in greenhouse. Thought the plants might all be goners but if you guys can do this from early jan, maybe I can ride them over..

Can anyone advise when I might be able to start gardening off to put in unheated greenhouse? I’m new to this - 1st ever toms last year and I had started them later, and the summer was outrageously warm. I’m in Dundee which presumably means into greenhouse later than further south.

Comment

• I've started planting mine out in the poly-tunnel just because they're getting too big for the pots - its a gamble really with the weather at this time - hopefully we are through the cold weather here but no way to be sure. Best bet would be to have a look at the local weather forecast where you are.

Comment

• I have been putting mine in And heated greenhouse during the day for the last couple of weeks. Still too cold to leave them overnight I think will need to wait a few more weeks at least. Keeping close eye on the weather and overnight temps.

Comment

• Planted out a dozen tomatoes in the PT now - more to follow. The Harzfeuer (a Lidl special) are the most advanced, with two plants with flowers just opening - but a couple of the others are not far behind.

The led grow-light has definitely helped with getting the plants into reasonable nick this early - in an ideal world I'd buy another as one really isn't quite enough, but I probably won't, as the extra cost wouldn't really be justified.

Comment

• My very lonely tomato in the hydroponic thing is ripening

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	2383144

I've got one lonely ( there's a theme ) tomato coming on the plant being grown in a pot. Really hope a couple more appear. It's been a mass of flowers.

Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2383145

It's about time I gave a mention to my 2 gardeners delights. They were sown in the tunnel in December as part of the random seed sowing advent calendar ( for those with good memories ).

Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	2383146

I'm very impressed with them, they are a couple of plucky little survivors

Comment

• Nearly there

Name:	P1000650 (2).JPG
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	2383155

Name:	P1000649 (2).JPG
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	2383156

Comment

• ^^^Now you see, that's what I was expecting

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                  Nearly there
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]86194[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]86195[/ATTACH]
                  These are amazing! My Tiny Tim and Windowbox Red have the teeniest little flowers on them. I'm going to start putting them in the greenhouse during the day and hoping they move on a bit.

I was thinking I would move them up a pot size but their roots were nowhere near filling the ones they are in, maybe next size up from 9cm.
                  Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• Noticed some just beginning fruit on the The Harzfeuer - thanks to all, particularly VC, for the encouragement to get plants started earlier than I normally would have done.

Comment

• I picked two micro toms and one red robin today.
                      Last edited by Ms-T; 23-04-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• I tried my one lonely micro tom today as well . Will be interesting to see if the one growing in the pot tastes any different. Also interesting if the ones growing in the tunnel ( planted at a slightly more "normal " time of year ) will taste any different.

I'm now quite pleased there was only one tom, I've had better tomatoes .

Comment

• Was that the hydroponics one, SP?
                          If so, do you think the flavour (?lack of) was as a result of being grown that way?

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Was that the hydroponics one, SP?
                            If so, do you think the flavour (?lack of) was as a result of being grown that way?
                            Yeah it was the hydroponic one. I'm hoping it was because of being grown that way. A bit tough skinned and quite sharp taste?

Comment

• I've always thought that toms need sun to develop their flavour - which is why the forced ones, imported in winter, seem to be tasteless.

Comment

• So happy I decided to have a go at this. Have got two plants in the upstairs window sill full of tomatoes

Name:	20190429_071839091_iOS.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	2383355

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X