No announcement yet.

What I Did Today (Undercover)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing physical but I spent the day wondering what to do about raised beds in the tunnel. I'm thinking of building one big bed down the middle, about 5ft x 22ft and 3 ft high then concrete walkways around the outsides of it to the edges of the tunnel.

Comment

I got wood today and started putting edging in the tunnel, was advised to do it instead of one down the middle.

I was digging down about 3 inches to set it and the little trench filled with water, that's how bloody wet my tunnel is. If I planted anything in it now it'd drown.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwin. View Post
        I got wood today and started putting edging in the tunnel, was advised to do it instead of one down the middle.

I was digging down about 3 inches to set it and the little trench filled with water, that's how bloody wet my tunnel is. If I planted anything in it now it'd drown.
        Rice? Watercress?
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Those who read my posts will know that the garden I am moving to has been neglected.
          Today I went into the poly tunnel and although there is nothing growing in there apart from one single nettle which will be expelled next weekend. There is, however, a rabbit hole! Pesky Wabbit!!
          Ill have to block the hole off and see if another one appears.
          What shall I do if it comes back? Don't say kill it please, because I just couldn't do that.
          Lynne x

Comment

I was going to suggest a ferret but if you don't want to kill it that's a bad idea. I'd just fill it in with stones and hope for the best, once the rabbit gets the scent of someone in there it should probably avoid it anyway.

I don't think I'll be planting rice, I'm doing my drainage Monday and I'm going to drive the digger up to the door of the tunnel, reach inside with it and dig a drain down the middle of the bottom half of it. I'll have drains either side of it on the outside too so that should dry it out.

Comment

I have hoed off the green stuff again, noted fresh growth on the broad beans, peas in gutter, garlic and o/w onions. Pleased we bought the poly when we did. Enjoyed the warmth in there and in the greenhouse. Just in case peeps are interested
              Poly - 16°c
              Greenhouse - 11°c
              Outside - 5°c
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Went to water my peas and pak choi, but was devastated. All nibbled off, the peas almost completely down to the ground, with one or two leaves lying around. Set 3 traps and put some poison down. Hate doing that, and will keep door closed for a week to stop birds eating it, but could have cried.

Comment

Oh noes! A new sowing should catch up quickly? Have a (((hug))) anyway x

Comment

Originally posted by Acanthus View Post
                    Went to water my peas and pak choi, but was devastated. All nibbled off, the peas almost completely down to the ground, with one or two leaves lying around. Set 3 traps and put some poison down. Hate doing that, and will keep door closed for a week to stop birds eating it, but could have cried.
                    I had that very early on and now mine are up on a hanging shelf. In gutters first.

Comment

After the disaster with my greenhouse heater cutting out, I now have just one plant at 4 leaf stage, rather than the 15 I started with So I've spent the afternoon potting up the later sown 'maincrop' plants and am back to square one: no room for them all in the house and nowhere warm enough to put them out... I have to decide whether to buy the stuff to repair the back garden greenhouse and hope that the electric heater still works, or, pay to have the gas heater serviced for the lottie greenhouse with the threat that it might be condemned as unsafe and me £25 worse off and still heater-less. *sigh*

Comment

How does the song go Sarz?..............Things can only get better...............
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                          After the disaster with my greenhouse heater cutting out, I now have just one plant at 4 leaf stage, rather than the 15 I started with So I've spent the afternoon potting up the later sown 'maincrop' plants and am back to square one: no room for them all in the house and nowhere warm enough to put them out... I have to decide whether to buy the stuff to repair the back garden greenhouse and hope that the electric heater still works, or, pay to have the gas heater serviced for the lottie greenhouse with the threat that it might be condemned as unsafe and me £25 worse off and still heater-less. *sigh*
                          Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have simple solution - cheap fluorescent tubes you are already providing the heat for the house, the tubes will give the perfect light and cost pennies to run. Get the timing right and you should only need them for a few weeks in the year until things warn up a bit.

Comment

Planted out peas, mange tout, broad beans and new potatoes in the polytunnel, it looks so much nicer for a good tidy up and some new stuff. Had wrapped up so much as it was cold out that I almost ended up overheating!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                              Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have simple solution - cheap fluorescent tubes you are already providing the heat for the house, the tubes will give the perfect light and cost pennies to run. Get the timing right and you should only need them for a few weeks in the year until things warn up a bit.
                              I have lights, which is how they had gotten almost to flowering stage already, but the lights needed to be set at the right height for the seedlings and the early toms were getting scorched. So I decided to move them into the greenhouse, which is what I bought the heater for a few years ago. Lucky that it was only a handful of tomato plants that bought it, and not the 40+ that are still under the lights

Comment

Ah right glad it's not a total disaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X