What I Did Today (Undercover)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
    Does anyone have plans to sow early peas for the tunnel/greenhouse? If so, when are you going to sow them?
    I chitted Oregon Sugar Pod and Hurst Greenshaft about three weeks ago. I have a full block of root trainers of each (32) on the go. The shoots are about 4-6 inches high. Going to wait a little longer to let the root trainers do their air-pruning thing a bit more and then plant them in the ground hopefully later this week.
    Last edited by redser; 25-02-2013, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Sown a couple of little pots with spring onions seeds just a sprinkle in each.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

According to Gatter & McKee (previously mentioned on this thread), a sowing list for the polytunnel in February:

Aubergines
        Broad beans
        Cabbage
        Carrots
        Cauliflower
        Celeriac
        Celery
        Chard
        Coriander
        Garlic
        Kohlrabi
        Lettuce
        Peas
        Peppers
        Potatoes
        Radishes
        Rocket
        Spinach
        Spring onions
        Strawberries
        Sweet potatoes
        Tomatoes
        Turnips

I think that's probably based around the Midlands in terms of climate, it'll be slightly later if one is further north.

I think I can tick off most of the ones we like from that list, I just need to get my early spuds in and I haven't done any spring onions or celery yet.

Comment

According to Gatter & McKee (previously mentioned on this thread), a sowing list for the polytunnel in February:

Aubergines
          Broad beans
          Cabbage
          Carrots
          Cauliflower
          Celeriac
          Celery
          Chard
          Coriander
          Garlic
          Kohlrabi
          Lettuce
          Peas
          Peppers
          Potatoes
          Radishes
          Rocket
          Spinach
          Spring onions
          Strawberries
          Sweet potatoes
          Tomatoes
          Turnips

I think that's probably based around the Midlands in terms of climate, it'll be slightly later if one is further north.

I think I can tick off most of the ones we like from that list, I just need to get my early spuds in and I haven't done any spring onions or celery yet.
          Crikey oh Riley, way too cold in my poly in the midlands for some of those! Guess what book I picked up this morning too? SNAP!
          Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 25-02-2013, 10:03 AM.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Sarz, are you putting your spuds direct or in bags in there? I've just bought more and am running out of room. Don't know whether I should plant into beds - or bags again,
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I'm putting a few in a bed; the gurus reckon they'll be out by the end of April, in time to get cucs and toms in, but also some in big pots that I can move outside later. I've been quite restrained with my seed potatoes this year, for a change!

Comment

Wish I could restrain myself I'll do that with my red DoY then. Cheers!
                Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 25-02-2013, 02:19 PM. Reason: changed to first early variety - duh moment

Comment

Planted four seed potatoes of Red Duke of York. Here's hoping
                  Oh and the peas in guttering are through. Broad beans sown into poly have new growth, so have wrapped them up in blue pipe hoops and fleece. Have closed their ends with polycarbonate sheet. Is that the right thing to do?
                  I may put the coir pots of beetroot into the poly soil to grow there instead of planned Lotty. Then I could sow more in modules for later planting. March may not be as hot as last year
                  Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 26-02-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I've just planted 4 Lady Christl (sp?) watered them in and covered with a wire/fleece cloche

Not sure about your broadies, aren't they supposed to be hardy? I think I'd fleece them if they'd been grown indoors, but not if they were germinated out there? Hmmmm. P'rhaps someone with more experience will be along soon...

Comment

I've just planted 4 Lady Christl (sp?) watered them in and covered with a wire/fleece cloche

Not sure about your broadies, aren't they supposed to be hardy? I think I'd fleece them if they'd been grown indoors, but not if they were germinated out there? Hmmmm. P'rhaps someone with more experience will be along soon...
                      I don't know either. Maybe I should move them off the beans and onto the potatoes. I hadn't even thought of that yet Think they show them covered in the polytunnel book and I normally cloche them at the lotty, because they get frost hit up there, so I copied the book

Comment

Planted out over wintered peas from their modules, also some small pak choi plants. Took all dead leaves off strawberries,and watered various salad leaves.

Comment

Aired the poly and pottered between this and greenhouse. Trimmed herbs, sorted oca, noticed carrot and spring onion seedlings are up Stuck some onion sets in modules.

Comment

Sowed a few pinches of seed of Long Red Florence onion and some Welsh onions in modules.

Comment

OK hands up if you're thinking of sowing cukes or melons this month and if so, when? My polytunnel book suggests it

Comment

Seems a tad optimistic! Probably early April for me, they get too big very quickly to be indoors for long, and even with fleece I wouldn't put them out before late April up here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X