What I Did Today (Undercover)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toasty in the tunnel today, compared with outside

I've planted out another 3 rows of peas which were supposed to be going outside, but the others are doing so well inside and there's no hope of planting outside for a while yet, so thought I may as well shove them in

Weeded round the onions, cabbage and broccoli, and pulled out some horsetail that was starting to sprout below the surface

Finished laying weed-control fabric on the paths.

Comment

• Placed recently purchased surfinias and strawberry plants in heated greenhouse to acclimatise.

Will repot today.

Tomatoes growing slowly.

Min Greenhouse temp 9C - 25C in sun yesterday.

Overnight temps outside range from -6 to -1C.

Daytime ? a max of 6C.

Looked at bees quickly to check stores . OK. (all hives insulated top and sides last summer)

Comment

• I was out from 11:30 until 8:30 today weeding the polytunnel then making a raised bed for it, my back is killing me and I'll be in bits in the morning but I'm in brilliant form and actually came back into the house with a smile on my face.

Comment

• I was out for another 6 hours or so today, the polytunnel is starting to take shape. I need to add a bit more soil to the beds and give them a good turning over. I want to put wood on the floor in the corner and maybe stones down the middle.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Darwin. View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]34816[/ATTACH]

I was out for another 6 hours or so today, the polytunnel is starting to take shape. I need to add a bit more soil to the beds and give them a good turning over. I want to put wood on the floor in the corner and maybe stones down the middle.
            That looks great Where did you purchase your polytunnel from?
            Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

• I bought it locally, there's a croud only 20ish mile up the road do them. It's been up a year now and I'm just starting to get it right. I'm getting a peach, nectarine or fig tree for the big pot at the bottom.

Comment

• Watered, aired, moved seedlings out of house into poly. Down melon seeds, more broad beans, watered, divided some herbs and pricked out cerinthe seedlings.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• I watered the polytunnel for the first time today, just one small section containing about 20 onions and 6 shallots.

Comment

• I sowed the first Broad Beans today, and also put a pipe from the Waterbutt to the inside of the Greenhouse and have the tap working, nice running water now inside the GH!!!

Comment

• My waterbutt is about 40m from the greenhouse so no chance of that for me I'm afraid.

Comment

• Most of my work was outdoors today but I did go to the garden centre and order one of those auto open things for the window of the greenhouse. I bought 6 75litre bags of good veg compost and spread them in the polytunnel. I'll give that a good mix with the multipurpose stuff, the perlite, clay and topsoil.

Comment

• Just found this thread - thanks!! (PS good to mention whether you are commenting for GH or PT - I think they are somewhat different - at least they certainly seem to be for temperature at the moment!)

I have GH which I run overwinter as well - deep bed down one side which is currently full with pak choi, mizuna, various other asian veg - all overwintered and under another layer of fleece (GH is not heated, so gets cold in the winter!). I need to pick more, some of the asian veg is flowering. Don't water very often (once a month?) over winter.

I have roottrainer of BB sitting on the staging ready to go outside when the weather is a bit better - however, as I need to rebuild 3 raised beds and don't yet have the new wood, I may need to replan where they are going to go! Weather this weekend finally seems reasonable, so today is the day I think (I'd prefer a moon day but I can only garden at weekends so am a bit limited).

Sowing beet, turnips, radish today - the radish will go into the greenhouse but I need to check first - the peas I sowed into a gutter on the staging have been munched - slug or mouse??

I also need to clear out the remaining old pots from last year (oops) - most have gone, but there are still a few to clear - then wash down the staging properly (if it is warm enough!) and weed under the staging :-(

Tomato seedlings, chilli, aubergine, melon and cucumber are all in the guest bedroom under the velux windows - too early to go out to GH yet!

Comment

• I also have two mini-polytunnels (portable plant protectors) which fit over the raised beds - they are heavier than I wanted, which means two of us to move them! Under one I have overwintered broccoli (planted way too late, and munched, so I don't think there is much harvest) and some leaves; under the other are overwintered leaves / asian veg.

This weekend need to remove both - water, and allow to air - and then see what is growing, what can be harvested, what is not required... Haven't yet done the plans for this year planting, so I'm not sure how long they will be there - quite a while I think yet, the weather has been so dreadful, I reckon I'm a good month behind usual!

Comment

• Yesterday in the unheated GH:

* Sowed some Sugarsnax and Amsterdam Forcing carrot seed in flower buckets, covered with prop lids and hoping they'll get going!

* Pricked out some Swiss Chard seedlings into individual pots

Planning on doing some first early spuds in flower buckets today (I'm a bit behind with this!)

This is the first year I've been using the GH even semi 'properly' and I'm loving reading this thread to give me ideas on how I can use it proper 'properly' next year so I can have things overwintering in the beds!
                              http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

• Friday and Saturday, all in modules or seed trays/hanging mushroom trays.
                                Oriental salad leaves
                                Lamb's lettuce
                                Basil - cabbage leaved and ordinary
                                Chervil
                                Brussels sprouts - Seven Hills
                                Daubenton Kale
                                PSB - label says very vigourous
                                Autumn Cauliflower - Sicilia Violetta
                                Cauliflower - All Year Round
                                Autumn Broccoli
                                Cabbage - Greyhound.
                                Camomile - lawn
                                These are all in the PT as if it were a cold frame.

Planted out early sowings of chervil and spring onions in PT beds. Potted on a couple of slightly leggy BNS. Dug up French Tarragon from PT bed and potted up.

Moved autumn garlic outside for day to harden along with a selection of brassicas some onions in pots and early started leek.

Left tomatoes, peppers aubergines, courgette plants out over night - mega protection - plastic cloch and about three layers of fleece! O/N min temp was 3.4C outside fleece.
                                "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X