No announcement yet.

What I Did Today (Undercover)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're forecast another cold spell over the weekend too, I think once that's past I'll be shifting a lot of stuff down to the allotment greenhouse. For now, I'm putting everything destined for outside beds out on staging during the day and back inside about teatime. It's keeping them slow growing, and giving them more light than they'd get crammed in the 6x4 greenhouse at home, and leaves more space in there for the tomatoes and chillis. It's just a juggling act at this time of year!

Comment

• It's been reaching almost 30 degres in the gh with the doors closed over the past week, which explains why the plants have shot up, so I'm keeping the doors and all the vents open during the day and closing them during early evening. It really took me by surprise, how hot it's been in there, even for April. Same with the cold frame, it gets opened first thing and closed early evening. The only problem is the pheasants, (!) who can't resist a good nosey about, sometimes helping themselves to whatever take their fancy.
      Just go for it..

Comment

• Arrived at allotment to find those flaming meeces had eaten every sweetcorn and every beetroot seed plus all 9 courgettes that I had sown last night in modules in the greenhouse.

Luckily I still had enough beetroot left for a second sowing! Just resowed this and covered modules with a plastic cover.

Had a root around my seeds and couldn't find any sweetcorn or courgettes so will just have to buy some more!

I hates them meeces to pieces!!! (not really,poor little sods must have been hungry a nd just popped out for a feed at Burger King, a-la my greenhouse!)
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Fitted the louvre window that I'd bought at the back end of last year.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Got rid of several trays of plants for the allotment, which meant three new spaces on the benches for greenhouse sowings...wahoo. Watered again. Doors and vents are getting opened like crazy now and I have the first bean set on my broad beans, wahoo. Not sure I will be polytunnel planting them again though as I see no benefit time wise. Still, lesson learned and all that.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• I planted my BBs in the tunnel too, but they're HSL ones and I'd like to save seeds from them, so hoping they'll be a bit easier to isolate once they start flowering in there

Comment

• Anxiously removed the fleece from the tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes in the gh at 9 a.m .. having seen the fields white with frost under a clear blue sky a couple of hours earlier. Looks like all is well, but expecting to have to get the fleece out again for the next few nights.

Meanwhile, noticed that the surface of the compost in pots is looking a bit green, so going to cut back on the watering and try and increase the ventilation. It's a fine balance at this time of the year.
                Just go for it..

Comment

• Have potted on some more tomatoes. Used child labour to ferry my tomatoes, Oca and sweetcorn from house to greenhouse - thanx chickee - unfleeced my potatoes in the poly. The rest is taking its chances
                  Having a coffee and a sit down whilst playing the toms a bit of Heart FM THEY LOVE IT
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Today, April 28, 2013, I transplanted my tomato seedlings into autopots and "officially" opened my greenhouse for the season, as it is not practical to move them back indoors when the weather turns cold. If it becomes necessary I will heat the greenhouse.

No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, no culture comparable to that of the garden. But though an old man, I am but a young gardener. - Thomas Jeffereson

http://hydroponicworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Polytunnel : - Noticed that daughter's own sown climbing peas are through - excellent. Potatoes are sprouting more so earthed up around them. Tipped the equivalent of 1.5 large trugs of compost on the area that the celeriac came out of. Moved some seedlings out of the greenhouse into there.
                      Greenhouse:- trying to make room now that my tomatoes are getting larger, as I will soon need the floorspace. Moved plants out and moving plants back in.

Comment

• Watered watered watered. Sowed parsnips the other day too and forgot to record.

Comment

• Built a homemade trellis for the charentais melon in my new polytunnel and then filled a few large pots with compost ready for the chillies/toms....I was in the tunnel with 3 hoverflies and then 2 big bumble bees turned up in there so I guess that's a good sign for my chillies and tomatoes etc in the summer :-)
                          -------------------------------

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also
                          Black tomato,Dragons Egg Cucumbers and Charentais Melon

Comment

• We're off on holiday on Saturday for a week - so I decided to risk it! Tomatoes are now planted out in the GH bed (14 or 15 of them - oops!) with sticks, well watered, and I'm activating the watering system for that side of the GH (as I'm away every week, both the GH bed and the staging get timed watering...)

Think I ought to take the risk and put the courgettes out also - not so sure about that? The bed is ready (other than the cats using it as the local lavatory)...

Chillis, aubs, still in small pots on staging - but the cucumbers and the last 2 melons (last surviving) went into Morrisons buckets on the GH floor last weekend - looking happy!

Comment

• I'm frantically trying to keep up with potting up, and rapidly running out of space in the heated g/house. The tomato and chillis sown by gardening group at school are now in the allotment g/house (unheated) with a double layer of fleece, and seem to be surviving okay. Some of mine are going to be making the trip there this weekend too, the forecast for the next two weeks is looking promising; only one night around 0c. Next on the potting up list; squashes and courgettes.

Comment

• My tomatoes have been in the greenhouse for over a week night and day, uncovered. Today some got planted into the ring culture pots in the greenhouse. Peppers are in there now, hardening off too. Took the opportunity to clean the greenhouse and put my new stool in
                                Seaweed fed the poly tunnel plants, also planted toms. Pricked out more blessed brassicas. Hoping to offload a few up at the lotty!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X