No announcement yet.

What I Did Today (Undercover)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the mice ate all my squash seeds I replanted but 1st rolled the seeds in hot chilli powder. They didn't eat those ones.
    An té nach gcuireann san earrach
    ní bhaineann sé san fhómhar.

Comment

• Planted Cyril's Choice and Grushovka tomatoes into the polytunnel beds - first two spaces. Watered and misted. Planted peppers into Morrisons pots where they will grow on the hanging shelves in the polytunnel. Watered in the greenhouse and moved things around. Hot hot hot in there today.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• I watered today too, while it was overcast so hopefully the plants will get the water instead of it just evaporating! I also fed the onions in the hope of speeding them up a bit

Comment

• Filled the greenhouse up with books which have been stored in Ikea blue bags in my upstairs since February while the work has been going on for the renovation. In a week it should all be over and I will have a kitchen (yeahhhhh) and a bathroom (yippee) and carpets (woohooo) and windows (whitwhoo) and by the end of next week I should be able to move those books back into what will be my home.
          I didn't do any gardening again yesterday but I looked at it and enjoyed it.
          Looking at and enjoying the garden is something that we gardeners don't often get chance to do without tweeking or nipping or pulling weeds is it!
          Lynne x

Comment

• Doors opened early this morning. Nearly 40°c in the poly at 09:30 - flippin eck! Greenhouse open and have sown Piacenza Savoy cabbage, CDN kale, basil in pots using Lidl seed discs. Tomatoes and peppers are thriving just fine at night time temps in there.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Too hot. Just. Too. Hot. And my water is down to 400l

Comment

• I've misted again to try and get the humidity up.
                Planted four more spud tubers. Squeezed them in.

Comment

• Shifted pot grown plants out of the coldframe and into a sheltered sunny corner of the garden to make room for trays of annuals from the greenhouse staging. Decided to water trays from underneath and not from the top, which seemed a waste of time when it's up in the 30's in the gh. Made up three hanging baskets and hung in gh, two with annuals, the other with tumbling tom .. planted up spare tomato plants in Morrisons buckets.. wondering what to do with the leftovers. Amazed myself at the price of foxgloves at the garden centre .. I've had loads overwintering in the gh that I sowed last year, wasted most cos grew far too many.. I'd no idea how expensive they are to buy.
                  Last edited by Ericthehalfabee; 06-05-2013, 06:49 PM.
                  Just go for it..

Comment

• I'm struggling to decide what to do with all my plants. I reckon I have about a third of the tomato plants, half of the pepper/chilli plants and half of the squash/pumpkin plants down in the polytunnel. The rest are in my heated greenhouse in the back garden, as insurance against disaster. They're getting far too big to stay out there though (it's only 6x4), but I don't have enough fleece to cover them all up in the polytunnel, and we're forecast down to 1c overnight this week. It's a biggish tunnel - 14x20, so should store a good amount of heat in the soil through the day, but is it going to be enough?

I've bust my max/min thermometer dropping it from a fair height, so I can't check the difference between outside/inside temps

Comment

• I should reckon they would be fine Sarz...I have had all of those in two unheated greenhouses ( as opposed to a tunnel) for around a month now and no problems...its always going to be a good few degrees higher inside the tunnel I reckon..
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

• I feel your pain Sarz, I haven't moved anything to the tunnel yet and the house is a mess of plants. It's got to be in the coming week but temps are forecast lower

Comment

• Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                          I'm struggling to decide what to do with all my plants. I reckon I have about a third of the tomato plants, half of the pepper/chilli plants and half of the squash/pumpkin plants down in the polytunnel. The rest are in my heated greenhouse in the back garden, as insurance against disaster. They're getting far too big to stay out there though (it's only 6x4), but I don't have enough fleece to cover them all up in the polytunnel, and we're forecast down to 1c overnight this week. It's a biggish tunnel - 14x20, so should store a good amount of heat in the soil through the day, but is it going to be enough?

I've bust my max/min thermometer dropping it from a fair height, so I can't check the difference between outside/inside temps
                          I am checking polytunnel temps and so far it's been no lower than 7° c in there despite iPhone weather saying 0°c a few days ago.

Comment

• Been hardening off annuals and outdoor veg outside while the night temperatures have been ok, really pleased with the extra space this has created in the gh. Transplanted Concador dwarf beans into the gh border. Grew them under cover a few years ago and got a bumper crop, tried them outdoors last year and none of them grew more than about 6 inches tall, so it's back under cover this year. Gave chillies and peppers a new home, in Morrisons flower buckets. Contemplated liquid feeding tomatoes.
                            Just go for it..

Comment

• Transplanted my dwarf beans into the greenhouse border. Could do with moving sweetcorn into the cold frame to free up space to set my tomatoes out.
                              Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                              Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                              -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

• 2.7°C last night. Didn't see that coming. Re-errected the hoops for fleece over toms, chillies and aubergines. Brought poor old squashy things back in to the tunnel before they become really sqashy.
                                "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X