X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrysanthemums

Any Chrysanthemum growers on here?

I found some old threads (e.g. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...mums_2350.html) but didn't recognise any of the names.

This year I'm going to start growing early flowering chrysanths for cutting on the allotment. I used to do this on my last allotment (nearly 20 years ago now) but not since.

However I have had a patch of some rather nice golden flowered intermediates in my back garden for the last couple of years. They have looked after themselves mostly; I let them break when they wanted to, put canes in when they flopped over, just some disbudding to make bigger flowers. This is they:

So this year I've lifted a couple of the stools with a view to taking enough cuttings to fill a bed on my allotment. I've also ordered five more varieties online (from Chrysanthemums Direct - good name, never bought from them before so we'll see), so that's five plants out of the 24 or so that I need to fill the bed. I just went for the largest flowered ones.

I've got a rough idea what I'm doing but am FAR from being expert so I'd welcome any help.

First question: Is there any benefit to giving the chrysanth stools a bit of warmth to encourage them to produce cuttings material a little earlier? I seem to remember I used to just leave them in the cold frame until they were ready, but maybe I could get bigger plants this way?
    Attached Files
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

I know nothing about Chrysanthemums. In fact, when my Grand Mother used to grow them I thought they were old fashioned . I've now changed my mind! (Woman's prerogative ) I will follow this thread with interest, as my challenge to myself for 2015 is to grow some this year that I can use for cutting in arrangements.

I'm really looking forward to the replies

Comment

I've just got an allotment, after a few years with no garden and have been surprised at how few chrysanthes are grown, I'd been hoping to beg a few starter stools but no luck so far - it's surprising as they are so rewarding in the garden and as a cut flower!
      Flowers do go in and out of fashion, it's the same with dahlias, when you're young they seem ordinary with older eyes you see how sensational they really are.

Comment

I'm looking to buy some too. I quite like the "Fantasy" flowers

Chrysanthemums Direct - Growing instructions for Fantasy Varieties

Martin, what did you order?

Comment

Sorry Martin I am a newbie to chrysanths as well. However any passed on knowledge would be great My MiL gave me some plug plants years ago and they got munched and gave up, so in my head I had written them of as difficult (by my standards) but would love to give them another go.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I'm looking to buy some too. I quite like the "Fantasy" flowers

Chrysanthemums Direct - Growing instructions for Fantasy Varieties
            Yes, they look spectacular - but for now I'm just thinking allotment rather than greenhouse.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Martin, what did you order?
            I just bought four simple, early-flowering ones with big blooms. Mrs H's favorite colours are yellow and white, so...

Chessington
            Clapham Delight Yellow
            Dorridge Crystal Primrose
            David Shoesmith

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
              My MiL gave me some plug plants years ago and they got munched and gave up
              Yes, the slugs and snails like them when they are young. Once they get up a bit and the lower stems go a bit woody they get better and they are only as much trouble as you want them to be. If you just leave them to "do their own thing" they will produce pretty flowers, they will just be later, more numerous and smaller than if you'd been more diligent.

Comment

Found it!

"I'm sure I've got a book on growing Chrysanths somewhere", I thought to myself as I was waiting to go to sleep last night.

And there it was, on the shelf right where it should be. I picked it up years ago in a second-hand bookshop in Brighton. It's called "Chrysanthemums for Amateur and Market Grower", by F.W. Allerton. It was published in 1949 (!) but I have the second impression published in 1950.

Obviously some of it is going to be outdated (e.g. the introduction says at one point "Despite the fact that insecticidal practice has been entirely revolutionized by the coming of D.D.T...") I can't see how the principles of will have changed much.

So I'm going to have a good read and see how much of it I can apply.

I love old books.

Comment

I'd love to grow some. I tried and failed a couple of years ago, so I might give it another go this year. We ought to give Snadger a shout, I know he grows them.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Yes, I remember reading about it but couldn't find the thread when I looked last night. I think he was keeping them in the GH during Autumn/winter? I'm going to choose my varieties later. Looking forward to doing something a little different.
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 09-01-2015, 07:24 PM.

Comment

We'll have to compare notes Scarlet
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

OK well as I mentioned, I want to take cuttings from the yellow ones ("Bloom Gold" according to the label) that I've been growing in my back garden.

My old book says that I should have lifted the plants (stools) after flowering and kept them in a frame away from the worst of the weather. As it happens I did that. But then it says I should cut off green growth and box them up in early January to encourage them to produce shoots for cuttings. So that's what I did this morning according to the instructions:

- cut the old stem down to six inches
                        - wash all the soil off the old roots
                        - cut back longer roots back to six inches
                        - cut off existing green shoots back close to the rootstock
                        - replant in a deep seed tray in fresh compost
                        - plant them half an inch deeper than they were in the ground, so that the cutting material will be white at the bottom
                        - water thoroughly.

The book says to keep them at around 50F until the shoots are growing strongly then increase the ventilation and drop the temperature to around 45F. I don't have facilities for this kind of precision, so I'm going to stand the box on my new heated propogator (with no lid) instead. They can come off onto the unheated greenhouse bench later on when they've got going.

I fitted six plants into my tray, couldn't quite bring myself to cut off ALL the green shoots so I left a few baby ones.

Let's see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

My new ones from the nursery will be delivered in late Feb. Hopefully I should have some rooted cuttings of "Bloom Gold" by then!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                          I just bought four simple, early-flowering ones with big blooms. Mrs H's favorite colours are yellow and white, so...

Chessington
                          Clapham Delight Yellow
                          Dorridge Crystal Primrose
                          David Shoesmith
                          The rooted cuttings arrived in the post today, nicely packed and intact with just one snapped leaf.

I've potted them up into a deep seed tray. I prefer this to using pots, they seem to develop a more extensive root system. I used John Innes #1 as recommended by my Chrysanthemum book.

Meanwhile, my overwintered yellow ones are ready for me to take the first batch of cuttings. I'll probably do that tomorrow.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                            Found it!

"I'm sure I've got a book on growing Chrysanths somewhere", I thought to myself as I was waiting to go to sleep last night.

And there it was, on the shelf right where it should be. I picked it up years ago in a second-hand bookshop in Brighton. It's called "Chrysanthemums for Amateur and Market Grower", by F.W. Allerton. It was published in 1949 (!) but I have the second impression published in 1950.

Obviously some of it is going to be outdated (e.g. the introduction says at one point "Despite the fact that insecticidal practice has been entirely revolutionized by the coming of D.D.T...") I can't see how the principles of will have changed much.

So I'm going to have a good read and see how much of it I can apply.

I love old books.
                            Hi Martin
                            i have some now in cold g house from last year you have done well to keep them outside.
                            Mine are still in pots i grew them in just cut them down at end of last year lots of shoots comming from the base now.

Will have to take some cuttings soon, mine are sprays ,cuttings are like geraniums they root easily.
                            like your yellow ones.

Nothing smells as good as chrysanths xcept sweet peas
                            cheers peter

Comment

Mine aren't due till the beginning of March. I've chosen 5 fantasy varieties to grow on in the greenhouse. Please keep us posted Martin...I'm following
                              Last edited by Scarlet; 17-02-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X