Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't bother with extra heat for the Chrysanthemum seeds Ryez, they aren't going to need it. The only doubt is whether they have enough growing season left to put on a decent display.

Good luck!
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Thank you Martin! I guess I will use only a few seeds, and keep the rest for next year. In the UK based Chrysanthemum rainbow seeds they say they are quick to flower, within 3 months from sowing, but as these are from china - in ebay, I have no idea! I hope they are genuine, to start with!

Comment

• Chrysanthemum rainbow seed?

Are those the ones that are several bright colours in sections on the same flower. If so I would sow them as they are likely to be anything Sorry there have been several threads on here regarding the giant stuff and the coloured stuff and no one has come back yet as having what they should have . I think most of us accept the coloured stuff as dyed or photoshopped

Comment

• I suspect they are a selection of Chrysanthemum tricolor (like these, from a bit of random googling): Tricolor Chrysanthemum carinatum Seeds | Annual Flower Seeds

I've grown these before many years ago, but they turned out to be too short-stemmed to be useful as cut flowers, so I haven't bothered since. Pretty though.

Comment

• Indeed, the image they had was more likely to be dyed flowers, very beautiful but it is a scam as indeed there are several people on Amazon warning buyers. So, I googled them and found those like the tricolour effect that Martin mentioned as well these "painted daisies effect" chrysanthemum seed Chrysanthemum Rainbow Mix Seeds from Mr Fothergill's Seeds and Plants but it was sold out in the U.K. and I would have to order it from the USA (too expensive), so I decided I might as well risk it and order it from China, but I really don't know what it is! So there is a surprise element in this... It might not even be Chrysanthemum seed! I did sow it today so we shall see!
            Last edited by Ryez; 24-06-2016, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• ps: Yes Norfolkgrey, the Chinese (in eBay) were also selling these purple giant allium seeds, but in the end I decided to order the bulbs from Suttons (expensive) instead, just to be sure! And together with these I ordered 20 medium blue allium bulbs....
              Last edited by Ryez; 24-06-2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryez View Post
                ps: Yes Norfolkgrey, the Chinese (in eBay) were also selling these purple giant allium seeds.
                I think you may have had a lucky escape. I'm sure those don't grow well from seeds...I tried several years ago from self saved, I would just stick with the bulbs.
                Last edited by Scarlet; 24-06-2016, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Indeed, but they were a tenner for only 3 bulbs! I guess they will propagate and will have more in the future.

I will be watching this thread closely so I can learn how to grow and propagate Chrysanthemums!

Comment

• The first of the flower buds are showing colour! Only a month or two early.

This variety is Godiva Lady Purple.

Attached Files

Comment

• That's quick! Jealous! Can't wait to see them in full bloom, must be very pretty.

My garden ready bought Chrys are now getting taller but still only got leaves, no flower buds yet. Some of the bottom leaves get a bit dark, so I pinch them out, not sure what is causing it, possibly the wet weather.

The ebay-China bought seeds have emerged at just about 1mm above ground and stayed there! Very slow to grow these are!
                      Last edited by Ryez; 07-07-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• I sowed some seeds end of May (in pots) , they are now about 4inches high with plenty roots . Shall I pot on or plant out?
                        Northern England.

Comment

• CG, I would plant them out now.

Comment

• Yippeeeeee more space , thanks

Ps should I pinch the tops out?
                            Last edited by Containergardener; 13-07-2016, 09:41 AM.
                            Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                              Ps should I pinch the tops out?
                              I'm not certain, but it's a good idea for pretty much all annual flowers to make a nice bushy plant, so I would.

Comment

• -^^^^already have , as do with everything else
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X