Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This season I thought I'd try "bagging" a few of my chrysanths to get the best possible blooms. There are two kinds, both made out of waxed paper: small bud bags and larger bloom bags. I had put bud bags on three flowers a couple of weeks ago but I noticed yesterday that the developing flowers were starting to get cramped. So I replaced them with bloom bags. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out compared to the un-bagged ones. In the meantime though they do make the plot look untidy so I'm not sure I like them...

Attached Files
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• You've a lot of chrysanths there
      Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
        You've a lot of chrysanths there
        Only 20 plants:

Attached Files

Comment

• Well okay, I have 8 more in an overflow bed...

Comment

• I only have 3
            Oh actually , I have 3 varieties ..err I think I've more than you
            Last edited by Containergardener; 16-07-2016, 09:43 AM.
            Northern England.

Comment

• for some reason I double posted and cant delete, sorry!
              Last edited by Ryez; 24-07-2016, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• My Chrysanthemums are growing quite tall, but some of the side branches broke. I have only staked the middle stem, am I supposed to stake all the branches? :-/
                Last edited by Ryez; 24-07-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryez View Post
                  My Chrysanthemums are growing quite tall, but some of the side branches broke. I have only staked the middle stem, am I supposed to stake all the branches? :-/
                  They do tend to snap off as the flowers develop, so I stake all the breaks. This year I've got really strong canes so I'm tying them all to the one cane with nice loose loops of soft string. Basically I just want to stop them from falling away outwards. You might be able to see from this picture:

Mine have all been disbudded now, so there's just the central flower bud on each break. How are yours getting on?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Right! Ok, will have to try this, it's a pity some broke = less flowers. Mine don't even have flowers yet! Imagine. Two of them are very tall, and the third one is still short but getting bushy. Hope the flowers will come soon. I took your advice and transplanted them in the flower bed.

The ones I started from seed are still looking like seedlings, cant even tell if it is Chrysanthemum or what!

Will have to wait and see!

Comment

• Patience, Ryez, the usual time for "Early Flowering" Chrysanths is September. Have you got any flower buds at the end of the branches yet?

Comment

• Thank you for all the advice Martin! No buds yet, I think all this transplanting might be delaying them, plus they travelled through the post! Just hope they will survive the dog and the cat roaming at my flower bed... They have grown a lot though. :-) The lilac chessington is really short though (about 4 inches) and bushy, is it a different kind or just slow growing?

Comment

• Got any pictures, Ryez?

Comment

• Yes, the small one on the right, infront of the yellow flowers is the lilac chessington. The other two on the middle and left are the tall ones (that lost a branch each) :-( Just tied them.

Not much flowering happening in my "flowering" bed this year. It's all on and off. Comes and goes!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• I have the ordinary white Chessington and it's already nearly three feet tall

All your plants look healthy enough, just a little behind. They will probably grow a bit more yet before forming flower buds.

Comment

• The healthy bit is a good sign! But they are behind indeed! Yours is a giant next to mine!

thank you, hopefully we will have some pretty flowers in a month or two in my case!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X