Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my early chrysanths planted out today. I took cuttings on Feb 20th, boxed up the rooted cuttings on March 7th and have been hardening them off in the coldframe for the last week.

Here they are now:

Hopefully the pigeons will leave them alone. Once the plants are settled in I'll start stopping them.

This year I'm growing:

Bloom Gold
    Clapham Delight Yellow
    David Shoesmith
    Dorridge Crystal Primrose
    Ginger Nut
    Godiva Lady Purple
    Misty Cream
    Misty Lemon
    Pink Allouise
    Southway Strontium
    Harry Woolman
    Mayford Perfection Bronze

The last two may not flower before winter, in which case I will lift them in November, pot them up and take them home for the greenhouse.
    Attached Files
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• The guy on the next plot to me is an expert he grows around 300 a year will have a word with him for you
      When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

• I always thought that chrysanthemums were sensitive to the length of the day so they usually flowered in the Autumn. I have chrysanthemums in flower at the moment and they are flowering most of the year. They are the common type, nothing like the gorgeous blooms pictured in this thread. I'll try and post a picture as soon as I get hold of a camera.

Comment

• I'm disappointed with myself. I didn't lift mine to put in the GH. The handful ive got in the greenhouse (about 5) I took cutting but I think I'm obviously doing something wrong as they've just not taken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin H View Post
            I got my early chrysanths planted out today. I took cuttings on Feb 20th, boxed up the rooted cuttings on March 7th and have been hardening them off in the coldframe for the last week.

Here they are now:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63600[/ATTACH]

Hopefully the pigeons will leave them alone. Once the plants are settled in I'll start stopping them.

This year I'm growing:

Bloom Gold
            Clapham Delight Yellow
            David Shoesmith
            Dorridge Crystal Primrose
            Ginger Nut
            Godiva Lady Purple
            Misty Cream
            Misty Lemon
            Pink Allouise
            Southway Strontium
            Harry Woolman
            Mayford Perfection Bronze

The last two may not flower before winter, in which case I will lift them in November, pot them up and take them home for the greenhouse.
            The only one I have out of that lot is the Pink Alloise but the nine cultivars I have got mixed up when I was taking cuttings so I'll have to wait until they flower and put a varietal name to the plant. I have over 2 dozen plants sitting in 3 inch pots at the moment ready to harden off.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I really enjoyed this thread

I never thought in my early thirties id be really interested in growing Crysanthemums be you guys have convinced me

Comment

• Oops, I have just treated myself to some more . I have lost one from last year though
                Thank you all once again for this thread I am so chuffed I gave them another bash and didn't fail at the first hurdle this time

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                  Oops, I have just treated myself to some more .
                  Me too!

Comment

• Hi Boatsman, they are day length sensitive but are split into to 3 ( for showing) Earless with normally power around Augst /September, Mids nataurally flower around October and with a bit of manipulation in stoping dates as either Earlies or Lates which are the ones normally grown in pots and shown in November. But some of them (like Late Sprays) you can trick into flowering through the year by a process called Blacking out.

By giving them 12 hours darkness for about 13 weeks ( give or take) you can get them to flower for a given date . this is what the big commercial nurseries do where then have computer controlled screens that give the blacking out.

They rare really easy to grow but you need some big vases I used to get columns of flower 3ft tall so 3 of those in a vase takes some arranging
                    Attached Files
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

• I don't do anything with them apart from dead heading and cutting off dead branches. They just keep on flowering most of the year.

Comment

• Wow!! So jealous!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatsman View Post
                          I don't do anything with them apart from dead heading and cutting off dead branches. They just keep on flowering most of the year.
                          What's your location Boatsman. Mine died back. Some in the GH - some outdoors.

Comment

• I live in Israel, near Jerusalem. The weather here can be very hot and dry, as today, or we can have snow in the winter. All my plants and trees are outdoor and everything is automatically watered with a computerised drip system. Except the blueberry bush which receives rainwater or the collected water from the airconditioner.

Comment

• I don't have any special chrysanthemums. I would like to grow large pompoms but have never seen them in nurseries here. Mine are just the ordinary plants that are in flower most of the year.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I haven't sown any yet, am I too late? Say it to May on pkt . Any advice to help em along . Not done them before , only ever bought plants.
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X