This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I started taking cuttings.

The plants I boxed up on January 10th have made good growth and I reckon there are 8 shoots big enough to use:

My book explains that to take the cuttings you should cut the shoots off below the soil surface. This is because you want to end up with a quarter inch of blanched white stem at the bottom of the cutting. It also says to remove all but two leaves from the shoot to reduce water loss while roots are forming.

Roots should form first from the white part of the cutting and then from the green part.

Here's an unprepared cutting on the left and a prepared one on the right:

The book says to dibble them into a tray of JI Seed compost covered with a layer of sharp sand. Some of the sand falls into the holes and helps keep the cutting well drained and stops it rotting.

I'll be looking to fill this half-tray up (another 12 cuttings) by the end of the month.

In the meantime I've put them onto the heated propogator with the lid on. In this way I will "encourage quick rooting by means of a suitable compost, ample and constant moisture, and a little bottom heat" as advised by Mr Allerton.
    Attached Files
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
      Today I started taking cuttings.

The plants I boxed up on January 10th have made good growth and I reckon there are 8 shoots big enough to use:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53564[/ATTACH]

My book explains that to take the cuttings you should cut the shoots off below the soil surface. This is because you want to end up with a quarter inch of blanched white stem at the bottom of the cutting. It also says to remove all but two leaves from the shoot to reduce water loss while roots are forming.

Roots should form first from the white part of the cutting and then from the green part.

Here's an unprepared cutting on the left and a prepared one on the right:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53565[/ATTACH]

The book says to dibble them into a tray of JI Seed compost covered with a layer of sharp sand. Some of the sand falls into the holes and helps keep the cutting well drained and stops it rotting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53566[/ATTACH]

I'll be looking to fill this half-tray up (another 12 cuttings) by the end of the month.

In the meantime I've put them onto the heated propogator with the lid on. In this way I will "encourage quick rooting by means of a suitable compost, ample and constant moisture, and a little bottom heat" as advised by Mr Allerton.
      Super them martin you will get some nice flowers they have realy come on,keep us informed cheers Peter

Comment

I took another 8 cuttings this morning. The first batch look ok but no sign of new growth yet.

The new plants that I potted up a couple of weeks ago have recovered from their trip through the post and are starting to grow away now.

Comment

Just done a search on eBay after reading your posts and fell in love, can anyone tell me what variety these are please?
          Last edited by Scarlet; 01-03-2015, 05:51 PM. Reason: Link didn't work

Comment

Hi Hayley, you'll have to ask the seller I'm afraid. My guess is that it will vary depending on which ones he has ready at the time. Also from the listing it looks like the varieties would be different depending on whether you specify earlies or lates.

At less than a pound a plant the price is good, but you can never be sure of the quality.

Comment

Hayley, your link didn't work - it was trying to call a number - can you try again?

Comment

I think it's these, Scarlet: 20 Exhibition Chrysanthemum Plants for sale | eBay

Comment

Thanks Martin there the ones. Love there little 'Pom Pom' flowers

Comment

In the blurb it says all colours, all types ...perhaps it's just pot luck. Have a look on the website that Martin put up in the beginning of the thread Hayley. It shows a photo of each type and colour.
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Like most things, you get what you pay for. £1 a piece is a good price but you need to speak to the seller and see what joy you get. If not, spend a bit more and get exactly what you want. The link Martin put up is really good as you get all the growing instructions specific to each variety and it also gives stopping dates etc. so great for peeps that are new to them (or a chrysanthemum numpty like me )

Good luck, let us know how you get on

Comment

I've just had a look, I never realised there were so many wonderful varieties. I think my allotment needs a chrysanthemum collection.

Comment

Received mine this morning. Again nicely packed and intact, a little bit crumpled but to be expected.

Comment

Did you get yours from the link Martin shared Norfolk grey? What types did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Hayley View Post
                              Did you get yours from the link Martin shared Norfolk grey? What types did you get?
                              Yes, I got them from Chrysanthemums Direct. I was also very methodical in what I picked

Senkyo Karyu (fantasy variety)
                              Delistar Mint
                              Pot Black
                              Chempak Rose Purple
                              Lime Green Mist
                              Lakelanders

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Scarlet, The suppler is John Peace a highly respected grower ,oand National Champion, I dont think you will have any problems with the quality. I have dealt with him in the past, and order education some more this year. Good luck, Ian.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X