Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've ordered the 20 plants from eBay 😱 I've asked for varieties with blooms like their photo, will keep you posted on the outcome.

Comment

I've bought from Woolmans before and been pleased with the plants I've received.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
        I've bought from Woolmans before and been pleased with the plants I've received.
        It was many years ago, but I too had a good experience with Woolmans chrysanths.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

The first batch of cuttings that I took on 19th Feb were starting to push the lid off the propagator, so today I potted them up into John Innes no 1. All 8 of them had taken, here's the first 2 out of the box:

I'll take my third and final batch of 8 cuttings tomorrow, that will give me more than enough.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looking good Martin....my little order hasn't come yet but it will be here soon!

Comment

These posts have just aroused my interest in Chrysanths. My father used to have a big selection of these but at the time I didn't have the interest.
              I have some common white daisy ones that just bloom each year without any attention.
              Think I am going to invest in some colored ones.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Bit like me Bramble...I've never really fancied them. I always considered them 'old fashioned' , though I went to a show a couple of years ago and some of them were stunning. Martin posted a few photos last year and I thought I'd give it a go too. Never grown them before but I'm looking forward to the delivery of my little selection soon. I think I chose half a dozen to start me off.

Comment

Just caught the post lady with my eBay chrysanthamums on my way out for work yesterday morning. Theres was 22 in total of 4 varieties, they all look really healthy with a good root and well pavkaged. Really chuffed.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves
                    Martin, have you ever considered putting up a fact / info sheet on your blog?
                    No

I'll give it some thought, though. I'm learning as I go, so no harm in leaving a trail...

Comment

You can do that...but don't forget about us here! I haven't got a book and I need all the info I can get. Fingers crossed mine will turn up next week

Comment

This thread has also aroused my interest. I have never really been one for flowers but now thinking I will give them ago.
                        ?
                        Go on GL, have a go

Originally posted by Hayley View Post
                        Just caught the post lady with my eBay chrysanthamums on my way out for work yesterday morning. Theres was 22 in total of 4 varieties, they all look really healthy with a good root and well pavkaged. Really chuffed.
                        Where's the photos? What varieties did you get?

Comment

I got.....Rose Kath Stevens, Gold Courtier, Gilletie & Dynasty.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A couple of days ago I posted:
                            Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                            The first batch of cuttings that I took on 19th Feb were starting to push the lid off the propagator, so today I potted them up into John Innes no 1.
                            I forgot to take a photo at the time, so here's one now that they've settled in:

As you can see I've put them into a deep seed tray that I used for this same purpose many years back. I could use some new ones but I haven't see them in the sheds or garden centres for a very long time.

The four in the back row are the ones I bought this year from Chrysanthemums Direct and potted up in late Feb. The 8 nearest the camera are the ones I took myself ("Bloom Gold").

By using trays I'm actually going against the advice of my old book. Mr Allerton says that best results are obtained by potting up in size 60 terracotta pots. (What did people do before Wikipedia! I now know that a size 60 pot was 3 inches across the top and 3.5 inches deep.) But I've found that if I use these deep trays instead, the plants don't suffer as much if I forget to water them and also the roots spread out along the bottom of the tray so the root system will be much better developed when I come to plant them out next month.

However I did follow Mr Allerton's advice on this "second best approach", in that I put 12 plants into a 3 inch deep box using John Innes no.1.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Martin H; 08-03-2015, 05:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Martin, have you ever considered putting up a fact / info sheet on your blog?
                              This probably isn't exactly what you had in mind, but maybe it helps... https://haddersm.wordpress.com/garde...hrysanthemums/

Comment

Nice surprise today when I arrived home this evening...my order has arrived (well one of the orders )

5 fantasy varieties for late GH flowering and 1 outdoor. On its way is the ebay order of outdoor varieties.
                                Beppie Red - outdoor
                                Fantasy varieties
                                Fleur de Lis
                                Seatons Galaxy
                                Seatons Ashleigh
                                Symphony
                                Kiyomi no meisui
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts