X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W
    Originally posted by Greenleaves
    Top Bannana Martin, that is exactly what I had in mind.....thank you very much

Just one more thing if I may, would you recommend a particular type for an absolute novice?
    Totally agree, I've just read it

Comment

Looking forward to my plants arriving!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]54103[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54104[/ATTACH]Nice surprise today when I arrived home this evening...my order has arrived (well one of the orders )
        They look just fine. Don't worry that a couple of the plants look a bit droopy, get them potted up and they'll pick up in a day or two.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves
          Top Bannana Martin, that is exactly what I had in mind.....thank you very much

Just one more thing if I may, would you recommend a particular type for an absolute novice?
          You're welcome I can't really recommend any particular type as long as they are in the "early flowering" section I've found them all as easy as each other!

Comment

I hope so, I gave them a good drink and potted up all before the boys tea.
            This is exciting stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Looking forward to my plants arriving!
              Where did you get yours from Snadger? I thought you already grew them?

Comment

My eb@y order arrived. They look very healthy, strong stocky plants - really pleased.
                I was sent:
                William florentine
                Danny peace
                John wingfield
                White pearl celebration
                Attached Files

Comment

Has your orde arrived yet GL?

Martin, do you stop your plants on a particular date or when they are a certain size?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Martin, do you stop your plants on a particular date or when they are a certain size?
                    This year I'll be experimenting.

I reckon that you'll get the best plants if you wait until they are about ready to break on their own; it's just that they might be a bit late. Certainly my "Bloom Gold", left to their own devices in the back garden, start to break naturally some time during May and produce a great display in October: all I do is disbud.

But I may get some good flowers by stopping them earlier, so with that variety I'm going to try stopping 2 plants every fortnight from the beginning of April onwards and see what happens. We'll see whether I end up with a succession of cut flowers.

With my newly purchased varieties I've only got one plant of each, so I'm going to use the stopping dates recommended by Chrysanthemums Direct and see what happens. Theoretically this will make them all flower at about the same time for some imaginary show bench, although since I'm growing them as cut flowers for the house that isn't really ideal! The given dates are:

Clapham Delight Yellow (early incurved) - 25th March
                    David Shoesmith (early intermediate) - 10th April
                    Dorridge Crystal Primrose (early reflexed) - 15th April
                    Chessington (early intermediate) - 15th April

Next year hopefully I'll have more of each variety and will be able to do some more experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                      With my newly purchased varieties I've only got one plant of each, so I'm going to use the stopping dates recommended by Chrysanthemums Direct and see what happens. Theoretically this will make them all flower at about the same time for some imaginary show bench, although since I'm growing them as cut flowers for the house that isn't really ideal!
                      Hmm, I've been reading up and as I'm not aiming for a date to flower I wondered if there was a more suitable time to stop to ensure best growth for the plant.
                      I've got the "show" stopping dates for my varieties too and as I've never grown these before I'd best stick to the guides.
                      Do you spray for rust?
                      Also, do you plant them all in pots or have you got some in the ground?
                      Last edited by Scarlet; 15-03-2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I don't spray for rust and will be growing them all in the ground at the allotment. They'll go out in a few weeks when it's a bit warmer.

Comment

Good. I wasn't intending to spray but I've read that they really suffer from rust..So was unsure.
                          I'm planting mine in my garden veg plot except the 5 fantasy varieties which are going in large pots- those I'm particularly excited about.

Comment

Last week 20th March, Gardener's World had a feature on Chrysanthemums. The people at Chrysanthemums Direct were obviously worried it would put people off growing them and sent me this email (also on their home page):

Don't be fooled by Gardeners' World

Many of you will have seen Monty Don talking about Chrysanthemums in the BBC Gardeners' World television programme on Friday 20th March. Whilst it is good that Chrysanthemums are getting the coverage, we feel that Gardeners' World did not make the most of the opportunity to promote Chrysanthemums as a fantastic, easy plant to grow in the garden.

Ivor Mace, who was featured in the programme, and other top exhibitors will spend hundreds of hours each year tending their plants to produce the highest quality blooms to exhibit at flower shows around the country. However, to produce blooms for garden decoration or good flowers for cutting, you do not need to go to such lengths. Many Chrysanthemums will grow, and flower, in the open garden with no protection; they just need a sunny position and well-drained soil. Pick the early or mid-season flowering varieties, which will bloom from early September until the end of October. Sprays are probably the easiest, but if you grow a bloom variety, and dis-bud to leave just three blooms per plant, you will get a stunning display.

To extend the season, to give flowers from mid-October until the first sharp frost, go for the late sprays. These can grow quite tall but will produce many stems of flowers, which are ideal for cutting.

Of course, if you wish to grow the later flowering blooms, you will need a cold greenhouse. Grow the plants in pots outside for the summer and move undercover before flowering. It is not too difficult to get good flowers for Christmas in this way.

Have a look around our website for lots more growing advice and, with nearly 450 varieties to choose from, you are sure to find something that takes your fancy. If you want any further help, please either email us, or give us a ring on our Freephone number, 0800 046 7443.

Always remember that as soon as you receive your Chrysanthemums get them un-packed and potted up straight away. On Gardeners' World Monty Don's plants had obviously been left in the box for too long, and although they were good quality cuttings, they had begun to bend due to the lack of light.
                            I couldn't agree more. Growing Chrysanths is only as complicated as you want to make it, wherever you get your plants from.

Comment

I got that but as I dont watch TV I didn't have a panic attack

Also, my order from them is flourishing, putting on good strong growth and looking very healthy.

Not sure what is happening with my eb@y bargain. They looked healthy when they came, (though admittedly not much of a root ball) but they seem very 'floppy' I sat them in a propagator for a few days (lid off) to give them a helping hand, they are in the GH but they still don't look that strong. I've lost two

Comment

^^ Have you messaged the seller. It just seems wrong you should lose 2 that quickly

I got the same message from crysanthemumsdirect, although GW didn't panic me about them Although those wiggy looking chrysanths were fantastic. The plants I have don't seem to have grown so much as just bulked up if that makes sense. Just have to see how it goes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X