• I have 10 more....here's 9 of them.
      Attached Files

Comment

• ^^^aww...what breed are they?
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• 2308 - 10 = 2298

I'm not sure if I've mentioned before, but a year or so ago we found we had a chicken that used to lay in one of our many hedges. We tried our best to keep her in, but we thought we'd lost her as we didn't see her for a while. A month later out she came with 15 chicks.

8 females who we've had for a year. I'm not sure how common it is, but four of these eight offspring are obsessed with getting out and also becoming broody in a hedge. They happily lay all year round in the coop, but once they become broody it's a nightmare.

Well it happened again, the daughter of hedge chicken became a Mum to 10 chicks. We tried our very best to contain them in the large fenced area, but the Omlet fence is pathetic. We built a new wooden coop so that she could use it outside the fenced area, but she wanted nothing to do with it. We made sure she went off into a large hedge every night, and that they couldn't be seen with any real ease.

We decided it was time to build a proper fence, so last week I installed 20 new wooden stakes ready for the fencing to on. Due to bad luck we had a delay in getting the fence, and with work getting in the way, it's not going to be completed until later in this week.

Last night.....

We heard one of the broody chickens we have in the dog crate going a little crazy at 4am, so went down to investigate, nothing going on, she can be a little loud so left her too it, and she settled.

We've come out this morning and found a set of feathers, knowing one's been foxed.
          It get's a little worse when I've checked the CCTV.

The mum and chicks have for the first time decided to move just before it got dark into the small coop. At 4am for 30 minutes, the fox has arrived, pulled Mum out and then come back a further 9 times to take a chick each time. You'd have though they would have scattered for safety, but I've a feeling they didn't know what to do and stayed for safety. It's been very easy picking for the fox as it literly just comes back, pops it's head in and leaves with a chick.

Now...for anyone following, 10 chicks plus a Mum is 11, not the 10 I've deducted above.

It's not much comfort, but one single chick, not seen on CCTV obviously decided to hide in the wildflowers when this all happened. On the CCTV it can be seen, as soon as the 20 other chickens we have come out of their coops she runs a good 20 meters to them. Amazingly one of her Mum's sisters without us helping has taken her for her own, they've been inseparable all day, which is nice.

We've decided should any of the chickens fly over the new fence, as we have some who are happy to try and get out and then others who don't care, the ones who fly will need their wings clipped so they don't get to the hedge again.

On that note, we currently have one of the daughters sat on an unknown amount of eggs in the opposite hedge, which she's been on now for a week. We can't decide if we let her be and then catch her and her chicks when they first make an appearance, or go and disturb her now which will be hard as she's in about five foot of holly.

Comment

• 2298 -1 = 2297

One of the newbies we bought last year (gilly) seems to have had cancer. Large hard growth.
            Slowly declined over the past few months...but enjoyed going out and sitting in the shade watching the others.
            This morning finally fell asleep after having her breakfast

Comment

• Originally posted by FuzzyFeltDeath View Post
              On that note, we currently have one of the daughters sat on an unknown amount of eggs in the opposite hedge, which she's been on now for a week. We can't decide if we let her be and then catch her and her chicks when they first make an appearance, or go and disturb her now which will be hard as she's in about five foot of holly.
              I would pick her,and the eggs up and put her somewhere safe. Dog crate or even a box if you haven't got anything else. She will be easy pickings. Foxes return.
              Have you considered an electric fence? They can be installed in a few hours and. Can be moved around to include new areas which can really help.

Comment

• I'll add my three please. 2298 + 3 = 2301

Ex bats almost 12 months into their luxurious retirement!

Comment

• We have allotment chickens. Shared maintainance.
                  Started in June with 30 now down to 25.

Something is killing them one by one. No idea what. I suspect a fox but others have suggested ferret, mink, stoat...

It seems to be pulling them through the bars of the fencing, Heras style, presumably when they stick their heads through.

Hopefully the fencing should be improved this week.

Comment

• 2301 - 1

One we bought last summer. She looked puffed up and hunched last night...not egg bound. No other signs of distress....
                    Sadly found dead this morning.

Comment

• 2300 - 1 = 2299

RIP Blondie

You had character and independence. Always the one roaming alone - away from the other 2 - the last to come back to the coop - and always up to mischief.

For a few weeks you've not been yourself, not running and flying when the corn jar was shaken, walking sedately, not like you at all.

This morning you came out of the coop with the other 2 and seemed well. A couple of hours later you had left for the great hen house in the sky.

We'll miss you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9818.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	2382585

Comment

• ^^^ always a sad occasion

Comment

• So sorry veggiechicken Blondie sounded lovely. My sympathies are with you. x

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                            Hi all
                            I am new to the site. I am glad to see there is such a love for all the feathered friends.
                            Add to the list my norfolk greys,pekins, welbars, welsummers, ixworths and the random brown hen that just turned up one morning. Hoping to get olive eggers next year.
                            I am down to 8 chickens now

3 norfolkgrey
                            1 norfolkgrey x welsummer
                            3 cream legbar x welsummer (olive eggers)
                            1 cream legbar

hopefully I will have lots of new additions soon as I have a load of hatching eggs about to go in.

so total 2299-8=2291

Comment

• Lost another golden oldie a couple of weeks ago. She must have been about 8 yrs old. Not ill, just suddenly keeled over....awwww....

So, we bought 2newbies at market . Both POL.

One took herself to bed last night on her own but the other hid under the bunny hutch...but settled in once in with the others.
                              Lets hope she goes to bed on her own tonight

The others seem OK with them being around...apart from 'psycho hen' who hates all other chooks within a couple of feet of her

So 2291 -1 + 2 ( keep up) = 2292

Comment

• Ooopsss....guess who ' accidentally'bought 2more POL chooks
                                A lovely Light Sussex and a coucou de Rennes.

2292 +2 = 2294.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X