X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thats a lot of eggs ladies and gentlemen, lucky you
    Nannys make memories

Comment

We lost 'Child of Pheasant' this morning.

She was a real sweetie...small bantie with dark brown eyes-same as her mommy
      Very sad as she was a wonderful mommy herself hatching out several clutches of huuuuge (normal sized )eggs over the years .
      We should have taken piccies...she'd keep them under her wings as they were too big to fit underneath her chest...looked like she was having flying lessons whilst sitting down!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        Stan...I think you've still forgotten to add one of yours!
        Ah.... but what prompted me to update the thread was that one of our old girls passed away aged 5 and a half... so minus 1 but plus 6 = 5!

And in more bad news, 3 of our chicks from last year have been taken by a fox in the last couple of weeks. Our cockerel and two of the bantam crosses...

2389 - 3 = 2386
        Last edited by Stan79; 31-03-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Well...watch this space...Tilly is quietly sleeping in a box in the barn....

Comment

• 2386 + 19 = 2405

We seem to be bless/cursed with broody chickens. We currently have our prolific Mum hen (Welsummer) sat on around 10 eggs. We call her hedge chicken as she always used to escape to the bigger garden, yet end of Summer last year we thought she'd either gone elsewhere or been had by a fox. 25 days later we had 15 new chicks! 9 female and 6 male, so odds where in out favour!

She's going to be coming out with some more around 18-21st of April.

Comment

• -1...Tilly didn't make it through the day

She was a lovely Light Sussex and used to lay double yolkers.

Total....2404

Nice addition there Fuzzy....always lovely to have chicks , especially around Easter!
              Last edited by Nicos; 01-04-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• One died, two added. Total 2405

Sorry to hear about Tilly, Nicos.

Our two new ones are Browny (much darker than the other two) and Cocky, so-named because has a very large comb, which flops to one side, and wattles, making her look more like a cock than a hen. Should really have called her Houdini...

Comment

• Er Stan am I hearing you right? Over 3000 hens??????
                  And you have NAMES for them all and know them individually?? What???
                  Wow. And I thought I was weird for wanting to name my 40 or so worms.
                  I really struggled to find gender neutral names although I suppose that’s not a problem you have with chickens.

Comment

• Nah!...that's the total we Grapes have between us !(presuming everyone is keeping up to count!)
                    Had it not been for all the knowledge, support and advice from fellow chook owners on here I probably wouldn't of had the courage to have got some myself!

Comment

• I’m going to get some hens. Maybe five. I just have to wait for one other job to be done first. I’m getting a large pond area filled in and the lorries need access. Once that’s done I’ll be able to set up a run and hen house.

Comment

• 2404 as one of our older ladies died yesterday. She wasn't moving much in the morning, and experience told me she probably wouldn't last more than a day or two. Decided to give her a nights sleep to see how she presented in the morning, sadly around 5pm the rooster started making a very weird call and all the ladies flocked to him. They stood over her as she'd died, they wouldn't leave until I spread some corn for them.

On a brighter note we have the best mother we have sat on 15 eggs, we've had to put another 4 in the broody pen. I hear some people wish for more broody hens, we have the exact opposite!

Comment

• Minus one more...2403

Night night Waynetta xx

Comment

• And another one gone
                            Poor Cora had a bad stroke a couple of days ago -affecting her left wing and leg.Totally paralysed.
                            We left her quietly in a rabbit hutch but she was just very lethargic.... she's now 'gone to sleep'...awwww....

So.... 2403 -1 = 2402

Comment

• So, amongst the sadness, now is probably the time to add our new chick which is running around with her mommy in the great outdoors!
                              And yes, we're pretty sure it's a lass cos of her rounded wing feathers and tiny comb!

Total back to 2303 again!
                              Last edited by Nicos; 31-05-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• 2305 now!
                                2new Harco POLs
                                Really lovely gentle and interactive (chatty) temperament!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X