X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..........and onions and lettuce and basil - and that's just today

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      Deffo white paper VM, I'm sure there is a scientific explanation but am too tired to goggle it.
      Best ask a decorator then BM Ohhh that would be me then

Its all down to the light reflectance values of colours,which are measured from each colour standard using a spectrophotometer giving the Y value (brightness of the colour) in the Munsell colour system (are you reading this Jules )

The approximate light reflectance value (LRV) of a colour indicates the amount of visible light that a colour will reflect. Black has a light reflectance value of 0% and absorbs all light. In contrast, white has a light reflectance value of 100% absorbing virtually no light.
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• If you have a B&Q nearby you can get different size panels of hardboard for next to nothing. Nice and rigid but you could cut them with a serated kitchen knife no problem to suit the size of your box. Small pot of their own brand matt white and away you go.
        The reason white works best is because white objects dont have colour as such. Red objects are red because they absorb the red part of the light spectrum. All the other colours are reflected away. Same for blue etc. But when you see something white you are seeing the whole of the light spectrum reflected back to your eye. Nothing is lost/absorbed. So you have a light source sourounded by a box that reflects the light perfectly back around the box and onto the plants. Makes sense?
        BM, out of interest, are you putting something over the open end? You should or the plants will lean in towards the light and away from the dark of the room. Outside there is only one sun providing light, but in a white box it's like an infinate number of suns shining from all directions. The plants love it - they'll be super plants Only problem is they will be spoiled and tender as hell and will need careful hardening off before moving them out. In fact starting this early with lights is a problem as they will grow so well the conditions outside wont be right yet when they get too big for your box. That's what I've learned and so I'll be waiting till March. But enjoy the experiment!
        And please dont burn your house down!! Not scaremongering, honest, just be careful.

Comment

• Thinking about doing this

Will probably go the white box route just posted, just wondering about ventilation in an enclosed box

Might try sticking a small fan in there to keep the air moving

Comment

• Would this work the same using fish tank only I've got one upstairs complete with hood and tube.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              Would this work the same using fish tank only I've got one upstairs complete with hood and tube.
              I was thinking exactly the same Bren. Instead of starting the tube low & raising it as the plants grow, you would have to start the plants high on blocks, books etc then lower them as the plants grow if that makes sense. Is it a growlux or flourescent tube you have in the tank? Be careful of the heat if it's a bog standard light bulb.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                Best ask a decorator then BM Ohhh that would be me then

Its all down to the light reflectance values of colours,which are measured from each colour standard using a spectrophotometer giving the Y value (brightness of the colour) in the Munsell colour system (are you reading this Jules )

The approximate light reflectance value (LRV) of a colour indicates the amount of visible light that a colour will reflect. Black has a light reflectance value of 0% and absorbs all light. In contrast, white has a light reflectance value of 100% absorbing virtually no light.
                I wasn't aware you was multi-lingual BB..........one of your many hidden talents.........
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  I was thinking exactly the same Bren. Instead of starting the tube low & raising it as the plants grow, you would have to start the plants high on blocks, books etc then lower them as the plants grow if that makes sense. Is it a growlux or flourescent tube you have in the tank? Be careful of the heat if it's a bog standard light bulb.
                  BM I've had a look and its this light mines F014 so I'm going to give it a go.

Arcadia - Original Tropical Lamp

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Two pots of lettuce sown (4/1) and I'll do a test to see which grows the better - in or out of the Box!
                    Two pots germinated - one in BluePeter lightbox and the other on SE facing window - same room. Watch this space
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 06-01-2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                      BM I've had a look and its this light mines F014 so I'm going to give it a go.

Arcadia - Original Tropical Lamp
                      Sounds perfect Bren as you have the tube that stimulates plant growth.......waste not want not.....

Comment

• I've re-read the whole thread and picked up lots of tips one being to use white paper instead of the foil i would have used.

Comment

• I too have enjoyed all of the advice Bren, I've certainly learned something.

Comment

• And i certainly have thanks to all
                            come on in take a seat time for tea

Comment

• FTAO Bramble:

Cheap LED Light and Grow Box - The Cheap Vegetable Gardener

Read Updates 2 & 3.........really interesting.
                              Last edited by Bigmallly; 07-01-2013, 06:32 AM. Reason: Interesting Updates

Comment

• Thanks a million BM. That solves a problem for me as I only want to start a few things early and it would have been wasteful to set up the 5 foot lights!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X