Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4Shoes
    replied
    Still working my way through the posting, but in summary here are the key points

Light fittings
    Light tube Fittings come in T5, T8, T12 presentations and either have 5 or 13mm between the pins. This presentation is not important for the Grow Light project. It is the Light output (Lumens) and Light Temperature Value (K).

The aim seems to be to get close to Day Light Temperature Value (6500K), but design for what you aim to grow.
    Cool Light around 4000K - 5000K (Blue light) – Veg Growth
    Warm Light - 3000K – (Red Light) – Flower Growth

Light intensity.
    For the human spectrum, light is measured in Lumens (Lm) or Lux (Lx) 1lx = (1lm / msq)
    Plants light intensity is refer to as Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR). There are many on-line articles on PAR, but without kit, it is hard to make use of the information.

So I took from that - It is no good getting a the correct light source, if you hang it from the ceiling. Build a frame and lower the light to stop plants going leggy, they need a more intensive light source.

For most lay people it means that low or no heat light sources can be lowered to within 2” to 4” (50mm to 100mm) to the plants.

Put white walls around your Frame to reflect the light back towards the plants.

On / Off
    Plants do some growing in the dark, so can not have light all day. The minimum darkness is said to be 4hrs for veg growing plants (20 ON / 4 OFF) , but other believe 6hrs darkness is more balanced. 18 ON/ 6 OFF.
    Perhaps 12 ON/OFF for seedlings early Jan.

Add heat to the bed and use a thermostat if possible. Some people recommend the ITC1000 or an Inkbird type controllers. They could be used to control heat and cooling in Greenhouse in summer if no longer required. (Also a lot cheaper than some of the devices in garden shops. Can also be used for a beer fermentation fridge

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    It was quite mild last December,I had my hyacinths in a pot of compost under a bag & a dustbin in the shed/summerhouse & the soil froze along with the roots,I can't imagine how to keep a grow box at 12 degrees out there,it has to be cost efficient. Would it be better using the space you live in rather than the outdoors (but I like the idea if there's a free way of heating).

Leave a comment:

• mic
    replied
    Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
    What are you going to be growing,it's too cold out there for most things?
    chillies. hoped an insulated box might be around 12 deg?

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    What are you going to be growing,it's too cold out there for most things?

Leave a comment:

• mic
    replied
    What's missing here?

2 options

Have light and heat indoors for 1-2 plants

Or

Have light and whatever temp the summerhouse is for 4 plants

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Lights are for light - not heat. You've lost me

Leave a comment:

• mic
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Why would you use lights in a summer house
    This is the issue. Small warm box inside or large insulated box in summerhouse.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Why would you use lights in a summer house

Leave a comment:

• mic
    replied
    ordered the UFO type. need something now to grow in. i can fit something in the cupboard under the stairs but it wouldnt be very big. i read average height for LED to plant is between 18-24 inches. whatever item id use id have to modify.
    if i want to go larger i can use the unheated summerhouse in the garden. i have a sheet of celotex which i could make a nice size grow box for a few plants, would be insulated great.

so, do i go small and indoors or larger and unheated?!

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    I just use the one bulb it works really well,this is a photo from March 1st. Tomato variety balconi on the left,sowed in January & is such a small variety it could fit in the small space for months. The only problem is when they're too big for the space,is there going to be enough sunlight when they're moved out from the light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2375141
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Cadalot
    replied
    Mic - I bought the LED Panel they were just under £10 each off ebay as they were clearing stock see Alans Allotment: Grow Stations I've not seen them as cheap again otherwise I would buy another

Name:	LED 225 14W Grow Panel Red Blue Hydroponic Light Board Grow .jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2375136

Name:	LED Storage Box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2375137

I ended up buying better clear plastic boxes and melting some hole in for ventilation and stacked them in my micro office. They were great for getting things going then they went out in the Grow House in the Shed with the two lamps. All in the link above
    Last edited by Cadalot; 23-09-2017, 08:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mic
    replied
    What about one of these led things?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/122529128952

Leave a comment:

• Cadalot
    replied
    Ideally you want min two bulbs one from each end of the spectrum like I did in the shed above the freezer I used

Philips Tornado 42W E27 Edison Cool White Spiral Energy Saving Light Bulb
    Daylight 6500k Spiral SAD 42W Day Light E27 Low Energy Bulb Hydroponics Lamp

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Is any heat coming from the bulb,can you get the seed tray about three inches away from the light so the seedlings don't have to stretch for light? It might help to see photos but it sounds good mic,the only way to find out is get sowing seeds & photos of seedlings when they appear,they might start off looking leggy but the light will stop that & thicken up the stem,you could try some seeds of something under the grow light & some seeds on a windowsill to see if there's a difference,when it's not sunny maybe?

Leave a comment:

• mic
    replied
    Hi!

So I've found a corner at home for my diy growbox. Seems to average around 18c day and night.
    Looking at what bulbs I have. The growbox is scaly a 1ft square, maybe 15 inch high. I've found an energy saving bulb 6500k with 1450 lumens. Will that be enough? I have a few 2700k bulbs but with 6500k being daylight I'd say that would be better.

Is 1 enough? Will be able to adjust the height and keep close to the plants

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X