Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kristen
    replied
    Probably not, no. You will be spending money on electricity to run the light, best IMO to get a bulb that emits the sort of light that the plants will maximise into growth, otherwise its just throwing away part/most of the energy

Leave a comment:

• Crazy_Tomato_lady
    replied
    Is type of light important?

I have a UV light similar to the kind used to cure nail varnish in salons. It was originally bought to cure rubber for making rubber stamps but I've not used it for years. Would this be any good for helping the plants to grow indoors?

Leave a comment:

• maverick451
    replied
    They look good smutley.

Im way too early, all my Tomatoes have grown so much they no longer fit under the light so Im having to move them into the conservatory for a week and then they go in the greenhouse which im having to heat.

This is my first try at doing this so still learning but next year im going to start the tomatoes at the end of Feb, this year I started on the 11th

This is a what they look like at the moment.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• smutley
    replied
    Well, here we are 19 days down the line from my last post. The Toms, Peppers and Aubergines have been potted on.

Quite pleased, seeing as it's the first time I've tried this approach.

I will definitely refine this bit of kit for next season.

Leave a comment:

• Deano's "Diggin It"
    replied
    Originally posted by Spunky View Post
    I use a couple of these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=281143032460
    There good as gold and never missed a beat so far
    Spunky! I have posted on another thread, not about the fans, just intrigued as to how you got on with your new lighting system you "Rigged Up" a few weeks back!

Any good?

Leave a comment:

• Kristen
    replied
    I feed my plants under lights with Canna Terra Vega (I don't wait for 6 weeks to use up what [might] be in the compost, but I start feeding very weak, particularly seedlings). I have no idea if it is beneficial to use that, rather than a bog-standard liquid feed, but its what the Cough! indoor growing boys use and a lot of their products/procedures work well for them, albeit different species of Cough! herb, so I just followed their lead.

First year under lights I raised Cannas from seed and Mrs K remarked "How extraordinary that there is a special fertiliser just for Cannas"
    Last edited by Kristen; 20-03-2015, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• maverick451
    replied
    Just a little update

Some of the plants are showing a few small signs of stress, a couple even have flower trusses forming! and they just seem a little more pale with a couple of slightly yellow leaves at the bottom.

I think I made a mistake in not feeding them, I thought they would be ok for a few weeks in their own pots but on reflection I think they were growing very fast and they seem to have just run out of nutrients.

Next year ill make a note to myself to feed them every week with a very dilute feed.

Ive moved any stressed ones into the conservatory (the first lot I moved look much better after a few days and to perk the others up a bit im going to give them a feed and cut the number of tubes down to just 2 so theres little stress on them.

Next weekend ill move them into the greenhouse (heated at night)

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    They look great Maverick and very healthy.

Leave a comment:

• maverick451
    replied
    What ive noticed is while most varieties are thriving under the heat and light of the growlights they are a couple of varieties that just arent happy.

Ferline and Latah both have curled leaves and even have dropped leaves, Ive moved these into the conservatory and they look a lot happier, interestingly both are these are marketed as outdoor types so maybe they prefer cooler conditions?

They rest are romping away, I only sowed these mid February.

Attached Files
    Last edited by maverick451; 13-03-2015, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spunky
    replied
    I use a couple of these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=281143032460
    There good as gold and never missed a beat so far

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    The tubes on my grow light garden get quite warm. One day I think we must have had a minor earthquake or something, and the top slipped down onto some peas (its been fine before and since, hence the earthquake theory). Luckily the tubes missed most of the plants and got caught on the edge of a pot, but a couple of plants were in the firing line, and by the time I discovered the problem they were quite badly scorched.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    My aquarium light is a 36" power glo t8 tube light. When you put your hand under it at 1" or 3" it's just lovely & warm,doesn't burn & watering once a day is fine for germination & plants. Warmth is needed for germination but some seeds want light too. The lights have (colour spectrums?) that stimulate plant growth,so you could grow veg all year. Germination is better with lights because I can make it a 'sunny' day,every day for the seed,so it has maximum potential of being a strong seedling. You can't do that in a heated propagator. So they're a bit different?

Leave a comment:

• Kristen
    replied
    Fluourescent tubes / CFL "bulbs" don't have much heat, but they do have some. I am doubtful that even at 1" it would be too hot for the plants, but I haven't got one running to be able to check ...

My Metal Halide lamp would be too hot at 18" ... maybe even 24".

LED bulbs have virtually no heat at all ...

I think holding back-of-hand at the height of the plant leaves is a useful test to be sure that the bulbs (whatever type) are not going to be too hot for the plants.

Might be overkill for LED ... and also Tubes?? its a while since I last checked them.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    I'm finding this quite confusing as I was lead to believe you do not use hot tubes/bulbs as grow lights. I used cool light tubes which threw no heat out at all. It's light that is important not heat.

Leave a comment:

• libbyloulou
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonny.D View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Does the heat from lights aid germination in the same was as a heated propagator?
    It does yes, but also be aware the because the heat will be from overhead and liable to dry the substrate out quite quick.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X