Rita1's grapevine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it this one https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ils_96189.html

If its "bleeding" it probably isn't dead but unless you do something about the weevils it may soon be. Put it in a pot as Norfolk grey advised.

Comment

#merged threads

Comment

this is a very big vine, i couldn't dig it out unless it was to ditch it, if there is a chance it could come back. i don't want to up root it. i have given it a good dose of nematodes, so i will see. the weevils has eaten the tiny roots and mushed the big ones, but there are still some little tiny roots there. i will give it another month and see what will happen.
        Rita

Comment

how do you all get rid of weevils

i have tried nematode but they are still alive. what is the best and quickest way to get rid of them. any advice would be great.
          Rita

Comment

What kind of weevil are they, Rita? And where are they hanging out, what damage are they doing? Could you post a picture? Need to know the enemy...
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

More here, Martin! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ils_96189.html

Comment

Yes, saw that ^^^^. Assuming these are the same ones, I felt it would be good to confirm the diagnosis of vine weevil larvae before making any other suggestions!
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by rita1 View Post
                  i have tried nematode but they are still alive. what is the best and quickest way to get rid of them. any advice would be great.
                  Hi Rita,
                  As previously suggested, need to see pics of said weevil, but ,if as suspected they are Vine weevil, your best option is to RePot some living roots into a CLEAN pot, using Fresh compost and Most of all....clean the roots,even wash them ...and remove ANYTHING that looks remotely like an egg/Eggs.
                  Sadly your vine may take a year or so to return to its former glory, but hey, better than losing it altogether ..!! and they do grow at an alarming rate
                  Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

There's advice on the RHS site https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=234
                    It says that nematodes should be applied when the soil is warm - August-September. When do you apply yours?

Comment

• vine weevils

ok i have dug out the soil around my grape vine and all the soil in the greenhouse, put it in the wheel barrow and let the chickens eat the weevil grubs, there were loads and loads of them, poor grape vine. i went to the garden centre and had a chat to one of the ladies who recommended this weevil killer liquid, which i had to pour into the water can and soak the vine and my pots and the greenhouse ground, i have replaced all the soil with new. so now i have to wait and see if the vine will recover. i hope it will live, such a lovely vine with beautiful seedless 🍇.
                      Rita

Comment

• Be careful using the soil drenches on edibles. The ones I've used were quite persistent systemics that could last for four months but were only used on ornamentals. RHS say they're a no no on edibles.

Don't know anything about poultry but if you've used drench in green house I'd keep hens well clear of it.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=234
                        Last edited by DannyK; 30-03-2018, 04:58 PM.
                        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

• weevils

the chickens only eat the grubs before the soak. i will not be letting the vine produce grapes this year if it survives as it will need a year to recover. but yes your right i would never use chemicals unless i am desperate. i will go back to using nematodes from now on. i have ditched my strawberry plants as these were full of the weevil grubs. they are really horrible and the damage they can do is unbelievable. so now it's the waiting game to see if the vine will survive. i also bought some root feed apparently it will help the vine to produce lots of new roots. 🤞
                          Rita

Comment

• I've only ever discovered vine weevils once in a pot of something (cannot remember what but it was flowers of some sort), only investigated because they weren't doing as well as the rest. Tipped them out onto a plastic sheet and found loads of thick white grubs among the compost, removed the plants and washed the roots clean.

Then treated the compost with a sure 100% treatment that works, two size 9 boots with my weight behind them and just to make sure bagged it into a plastic bag and sealed it tight and left it so that if any eggs had survived they wouldn't be going anywhere and any that hatched to adults never went any further. Leave for 12 months and then its safe to use adding it to the soil in your borders, brutal but effective.
                            The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

• The fact that it is bleeding shows that there is some root activity pumping up the sap. The vine may still die but you may be able to save the cultivar, as has been suggested by taking cuttings. Pencil thick, about a foot long and planted in sandy soil. Try to cut about 25mm under a node for the bit to go into the soil as that is where the roots will come from.
                              Hope this helps.
                              David

Comment

• That sounds like a pretty satisfying method of pest control.
                                I use nematodes in polytunnel beds and strawberry containers once per year. I resent the money but it seems to work. The adult weevils will find the plants again so treating with nematodes regularly is probably necessary.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X