Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I been putting the last of my frames up to keep the Pigeons and Cabbage Whites off my Cabbages and Sprouts. I built them over the winter and have made them so that the tops can easily be taken off so I can get to the plants to weed between them.

I also planted my Carrots. I've done an experiment this year. I have got a load of 2 litre plastic milk bottles and I cut the bottoms off and turned them upside down and filled with with a mix of compost and soil, and then planted them in the dirt. That should help them retain moisture and it may also help deter Carrot Fly. I can hope anyway.

Last edited by Dynamo; 24-05-2011, 06:38 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Your brassica cages look like mine - built by Mr VVG and too bl@@dy big for me to move!
      Anyhow looks a nice allotment...

Today and yesterday I have been shuffling stuff around really. All seven yellow stuffer tomatoes are planted in Morrisons buckets. All seven Roma tomatoes planted in tomato tent heaven or in longtom pots. Note to self for next year:21 tomato plants IS EXCESSIVE! last year it was about 50 so I have come down and most went to RSPCA plant stall! Planted two outdoor gherkins into longtom pots. Peppers all in Morrisons buckets and occupying any gaps in greenhouse rainforest. Another note to self for next year: don't overdo it on the pepper sowing either!
      Earthed up bottom of lane potatoes. Put back retrieved cloches on the allotment. Anyone else sick of this stormforce wind?!
      Sweetcorn still looking smug sitting in trug. Am still waiting for the gales to blow over;-)

Happy planting everyone!
      Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 24-05-2011, 06:58 PM.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Sweetcorn planted. 32 ears in an 8x4 block. I hope for a lovely harvest.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

• Planted out minipop sweetcorn and outdoor melons

Watered, watered and watered, watered and watered some more. Sigh.

Comment

• Sorted out youngest daughter's front garden, and watered the pots in the back. They're back tomorrow after a week with MIL. Wonder whether she'll notice?

Comment

• Dug up a sickly looking Aaran Pilot tatty plant, because it would be rude not to! It had nothing to do with the fact I was desperate for some new tatty goodness..
              30 minutes later it was dinner for my tummy!
              My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by bethduckie View Post
                Planted out minipop sweetcorn and outdoor melons

Watered, watered and watered, watered and watered some more. Sigh.

You're brave on the melons but I too have planted my minipop sweetcorn today although windy still here!
                I have watered everywhere at home and on the allotment as everywhere so dry despite being watered yesterday. I have planted my courgette plants too in my open horse rotting composter with a stack of compost on top to put them in. I have also planted up all cukes and peppers now into Morrisons flower buckets. They are currently rammed into tomato tents and greenhouse. Slowly but surely my plantpots and gravel trays are getting washed up and put away. Repotted second set of mixed brassicas although I think I'll end up selling some as far too many again...sigh! Need another allotment.
                Last job tonight was to upskittle a bag of Rocket tatties for dinner tonight. I reckon there's enough to last us until Monday - feeding four - with some for my mum. Absolutely jiggered, wet and windblown. Time for a soak in the tub whilst Mr VVG makes din-dins! He has man floo so was no use today at all. I'm sticking a beechams in his tea :-)
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Well you see, I asked my son what he wanted us to grow this, thinking he'd say tomatoes, or strawberries or whatever, and he said melons. So we're having a go, but the lad has been well drilled that they probably won't grow.

They are a small one person sized fruit that are marketed as outdoor ones though, so you never know.

Comment

• Watered and weeded.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• have constucted several structures from canes for my beans and peas on my new plot. planted some runner beans plants donated to my by one of my neighbours. ( hope i like runner beans as to add to his 14 plants ive got another 10 at home growing away lol!) plus french beans and borlotti beans! o well! sowed some more peas, a heritage variety meant to grow nice and tall. hardening off my sweetcorn and chillis.
                      http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

• Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                        Your brassica cages look like mine - built by Mr VVG and too bl@@dy big for me to move!
                        The tops sit on top of the sides and are only held onto the sides with a loop of wire so are easy to remove. The sides themselves have legs on that are hammered into the ground. All in all, each frame consists of 2 end pieces, 8 side pieces, four at the front and four at the rear, and 8 tops that sit alongside each other. If you want, I can photograph the individual pieces and show hoe I fit them all together.

Anyhow looks a nice allotment...

Thank you. I have finally got to a point where I have utilised all the growing space in my garden after first getting it two years ago when it was totally weed infested and covered in rubble and rubbish like old bed frames and mattresses etc.

Comment

• Today I planted out the last of my sweetcorn (36plants) the last 5 courgettes and the last 3 butternut squash, then a little weeding before doing my sons sponsored walk with him.

Off for a beer or 3
                          Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                          Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                          -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

• I've a few days off work so spent the day at the allotments trying to to catch up. Started by uniting my chicks that I hatched with another four brown hens and a Faverolle cockerel.
                            First I had the onerous task of dispatching one of the cockerel chicks as he would just have been killed by the grown cockerel. He was lame and kept falling over so he wouldn't stand a chance.
                            Not a pleasant task and I bottled it the first time when I had a hold of him by the feet and he turned his head towards me with cow eyes as if to say "Please don't do it!".............I didn't and returned him to the coop but he looked a pitiful sight and I had to go and get him again and do the deed.

Anyway, the other chicks seem to have amalgamated ok and I know I did the right thing so I got stuck into the gardening to take my mind off it.

Cleared area, made a cane wigwam and planted my self fertile runner beans. Cleared an area and planted five cauli's. Cleared an area............sod it, just asume I've cleared the area , mucked and dug it each time I plant summat. Planted a long row of Ne Plus Ultra pea plants against a tall mesh support. Sowed seeds of the same down the other side to give a succession.
                            Planted two rows of mange tout peas along a permanent support frame work.
                            Donned my gloves and tackled any thistles or nettles i could find.
                            As the rain came along i retired to the greenhouse and potted on a load of chrysanth cuttings and planted out some banana peppers.
                            Pleased with progress but still loads to do!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamo View Post
                              If you want, I can photograph the individual pieces and show hoe I fit them all together.
                              Yes please! I want to see!
                              Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                              By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                              While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                              At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by bethduckie View Post
                                Well you see, I asked my son what he wanted us to grow this, thinking he'd say tomatoes, or strawberries or whatever, and he said melons. So we're having a go, but the lad has been well drilled that they probably won't grow.

They are a small one person sized fruit that are marketed as outdoor ones though, so you never know.
                                I keep my fingers crossed for you. Just need some of that April sunshine back!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X