Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeded japanese onions and peeled the husks off shallots to allow them to swell.

Big tidy up of greenhouse to make some room for when toms and pepper plants are planted up.

Earthed up a few spuds.

Planted out a few clubroot resistant cabbages.

Gave the indoor planting beds a good soaking.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Put lots of tomatoes into their final buckets and some into long tom pots.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Weeded japanese onions and peeled the husks off shallots to allow them to swell.

Big tidy up of greenhouse to make some room for when toms and pepper plants are planted up.

Earthed up a few spuds.

Planted out a few clubroot resistant cabbages.

Gave the indoor planting beds a good soaking.
        What do you do to your shallots to make them swell - me not know this, nor understandy?! Please tell me if I should have been doing something to them and haven't:-)
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Musical plants in the greenhouse just like VVG. Went to the lottie with grandson and did some weeding. Too muggy to do any heavy digging. I have some pods on the bored beans that TwoSheds planted out for me, and one nearly ripe strawberry. Bladdy overwintering onions are bolting.
          I find it's a good game - just like assembling a big green jigsaw. What can I squeeze where?! I need a field and polytunnels next. Anyhow I digress, today on lottie = more weeding, also spud earthing up and mass watering. Two spears up on my first year asparagus. So tempted to cut just one but MUST RESIST.
          Loads of flowers in my broad beans but no pods yet :-(
          Turnips gone mad or I did with my direct sowing.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• made some mint sauce, racked off my damson wine, put some blackberries to soak for blackberry wine, weeded out the beds, plucked an onion and a silverskin to check sizes,

thinned out my beetroot and used some of the thinnings to fill holes (may or may not take)

also stared in wonder at my empty squash bed!!! cucumbers little gem, butternut and pumpkin disappeared over night! ahhh well, i believe theres a plant sale on down the road LOL

Comment

• sowed my first batch of runner and french beans. Also sowed 3 types of winter squash and 2 patty pans.
              http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

• More weeding...argh my back! Planted my celeriac and put in my borlotti beans. Sounds paltry but just spent five hours up there.

Comment

• Watering. And dug and watered and whacked with a hammer the 4 dust bowls aka raised beds (in Essex, we still have drought, not much rain for months now) destined to hold beans. Then tipped loads and loads more water on in the hope that when I return tomorrow with my runner and borlotti beans the ground will still be damp enough to actually plant them...

Unless it rains tomorrow, in which case I will be so happy I'll buy a round, i expect!

Comment

• I've planted out my Scarlet emperor runners, two black beauty courgettes under a cloche then lastly a Marketmore cuc into a trug but that's stopping my the greenhouse during the day for a while yet.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Diddly squit gardening wise. Family round to visit, which was lovely

Comment

• Sowed some French bean (Cobra's) direct into 2 x 45 litre growbag planters I got at the weekend. At least 2 too many plants in each bag but I want something to cover the grotty back fence of the garden from sight as much as a crop so decided to give it a whirl. I will complete with 2 more bags with scarlet emperor runners in when i get them at the weekend.
                        Gone a bit crazy this year, at least 16 of each already at my mums and will have same again at my house. If it's a good year I will be sick of picking them as much as eating , good job we just got a large chest freezer to fill .
                        My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

• Planted out two lots of sprouts, one lot of banana shalllots I'd grown from seed and donned some gloves and did some thistle weeding!

Funny how each weed has its own time/ Just got rid of the dandelions and then the thistles start to make rapid headway.

Lit woodburner and cremated a chook which had died overnight. She wasn't looking very well yesterday so I hope she passed away without pain snuggled in the nestbox.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            Planted out two lots of sprouts, one lot of banana shalllots I'd grown from seed and donned some gloves and did some thistle weeding!

Funny how each weed has its own time/ Just got rid of the dandelions and then the thistles start to make rapid headway.

Lit woodburner and cremated a chook which had died overnight. She wasn't looking very well yesterday so I hope she passed away without pain snuggled in the nestbox.
                            Oh Snadger - sorry to hear about your girl. She'll be at peace now!

I agree with you on the weeds. We have been deheading dandelions and prising up their taproots, now that's done and they have gone it is thistle time. Have spent today weeding at home along with the help of my four girls although little so and sos starting shredding my sorrel. I chased them off that and started to Hammerite my obelisks, thought they were quiet (hens not obelisks) and they were eating my pea shoots!!! I suppose I should be grateful that they hadn't found my toms and peppers.
                            Anyhow today as well as weeding I earthed up second phase of tatties in bags. I planted out pepper plants into tomato tent thingy. I also scrubbed out the girls hen pen and composted their poop bedding. Shaved the bay tree into a proper shape today.
                            Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 19-05-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Sowing 14 replacement runner beans as since Sunday something has decimated 14 of my 16 plants in my parents garden. Looks like I need some mass Slug pellet /nematode help ;(
                              My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

• Potted on butternut squash and pumpkin seedlings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X