This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
    The folk I work for on Fridays are in Australia for Christmas so I'm watching their sheep for them. Trimmed a couple of feet, put out fresh hay, cleaned out bedding and put down fresh straw. Replaced the two empty mineral lick buckets with full ones - I'm saving the empties to grow show onions in next year !
    Very Seasonal! While Shepperds watch their flocks by night and all that! Sounds like an interesting day, I love being around livestock myself, grew up on farms, dont think people always apreciate the hours of work involved. What size flock do they have?
    Wish I had enough room to rear a couple of lambs just for our own use.
    Last edited by Fruit&2veg; 23-12-2011, 02:41 PM.
    "... discipline is what the world needs today and etiquette, you know. For one of the noblest things a man can do is to do the best he can, yeah ..."

Prince Far I (1944-1983)

Comment

• I picked up the following half price bargains in the local Wyevale.

A new trug
      Seas weed extract
      One of them potato scoop things

Loads of half price garedning stuff buy the OH had a face on him so I didn't get time to look at that much.
      Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

• pulled up 5 small swede for tommorow topped up my manure bin at the allotment and spread 4 dustbin loads of manure round my fruit bushes

Comment

• Christmas morning I gave the chooks there annual crimbo dinner of warm porridge with sprout leaves off the crimbo dinner added!
          Finally got round to planting out some japanese senshyu onion sets in a cold frame and after watering covered them with a glazing unit til spring.
          The sets were in modules, were well rooted and had six inches of foliage.
          Tried this a couple of years ago with great success, giving me some very early onions!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• - dug up my Xmas spuds (4)
            - put all the Xmas wrapping paper in the dalek
            - took another 4 bags of peelings etc up to the lotty
            - finally made apple & quince jelly (from the freezer)
            - bottled the sloe gin
            - racked all the wines (I do it every month)
            - had a 2hr weed up the lotty in the sunshine: mostly flowering chickweed & grasses, groundsel
            - noticed the comfrey has already emerged, which is WAY early
            - noticed the shed roof is still leaking, must fix it properly this year
            - picked loads of carrots, leeks, lettuce, chard, kale
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-12-2011, 12:09 PM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Harvested oca, parsnips, beetroot
              Finally cleared away tom plants
              Weeded
              Planted some more garlic
              Made friends with a robin
              http://seasonalfamilyrhythm.blogspot.co.uk/ - My new blog

Comment

• Had a good session at the lottie today. Gathered eggs and gave hens some corn.

Tidied a raised bed 7 metres long. Planted some garlic. Dug up my gladioli corms and put them in a tray in greenhouse to dry out.
                Stripped some of the 'blown' sprouts off for the chooks and to tidy the plants. Pulled up a couple of walking stick kale for the chooks also.

Finally got round to building a support for my 1000ltr water tank out of breezeblocks and manhandled said tank into position. Now all i need to do is put up some guttering and pipe to it. I will need any water I can get for the chooks soon as the mains water is turned off for winter.

Fired the woodburner up and burned some old wooden window frames that were rottem.

My back started to give me jip so I headed for home at the first twinge (live to fight another day hopefully!)
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I harvested .... ahem ... Luttuce (3 types!) mizuna, baby leeks, a cabbage (MY FIRST!) and a sprout top! (the sprouts didnt come to anything!) Oooooooh and some jerusalem artichokes! YAY
                  http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

• lottie again today,we started laying the slab path,looks great,more to do,
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Last night I bought a few 50% seeds from Dobbies garden centre (online) that I probably really didn't need, except for the parsnips.

Then this morning the DT Browns catalogue that I ordered dropped through the door with a free pack of seeds - and guess what they were, only blinkin' parsnips.

So now I'm the proud owner of 2 packs of parsnip seeds (Albion F1 and Duchess F1) for this year!!!!
                      The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                      William M. Davies

Comment

• The What I Did Today Archive 2011

The 'What I Did Today' is something of an institution on the Grapevine, having started and run continuously since 2006. At nearly 7 years old (at the time of writing this) it had grown to over 300 pages (9000 posts!), and was becoming difficult to browse. So we have decided to separate the posts into a thread for each year, and put them into the Archive for ease of use, keeping only the current and previous year in the active thread.

This thread is for 'What I Did Today', 2011

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X