This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dynamo View Post
    The tops sit on top of the sides and are only held onto the sides with a loop of wire so are easy to remove. The sides themselves have legs on that are hammered into the ground. All in all, each frame consists of 2 end pieces, 8 side pieces, four at the front and four at the rear, and 8 tops that sit alongside each other. If you want, I can photograph the individual pieces and show hoe I fit them all together.

If it's not too much trouble that would be very kind of you! :-)

Thank you. I have finally got to a point where I have utilised all the growing space in my garden after first getting it two years ago when it was totally weed infested and covered in rubble and rubbish like old bed frames and mattresses etc.
    We have just about got ours up and running now, bed 6 will be finished tomorrow, somewhat belatedly as Mr VVG had op for carpal tunnel six weeks ago. We keep getting told it's looking good which is nice to hear. Makes up for your breaking back :-) Keep it up
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Today popped in the squashes on the allotment. More weeding and watering needed - harvested some broad beans and peas for tonight's meal. Need to start my second sowings tomorrow.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Yesterday, late afternoon. Home from work at a sensible time, so popped up the plot to plant out the last of the celeriac. The rain has really encouraged the onions, potatoes and peas. There are flowers on one or two potato plants!! Rain has also encouraged the weeds, so I'll be back this afternoon for some major weeding and tidying up. Running out of space at the plot now, only a couple of half beds left un-occupied, but hopefully as we start to eat the potatoes, I can move things out of trays and pots and into their proper 'home.' Hard to know if this is the best time of year ... when we are all full of optimism about our harvest ... or is the actual harvest time the best, even with the occasional disappointments?

Comment

• - pickled 3 jars of broad beans (don't like them frozen)
          -
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            - pickled 3 jars of broad beans (don't like them frozen)
            -
            Do you like them pickled?

Comment

• Had a quick check of everything- lots of planting out to do in the next few days. Pulled a few weeds up while i was at it and turned the dalek

Comment

• Weeded the onions, shallots and garlic at the plot, three buckets of "goodies" for my neighbour's hens. Picked a punnet of strawberries. Felt smug :-)
                Last edited by susieq100; 29-05-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Planred up one side of a grenhouse bed with San Marzano toms. They aren't very big amd look a bit lost but hopefully they will catch up.
                  Played musical trays with my seedlings and moved loads of stuff arouind in the greenhouse.
                  Put some stuff outside in a sheltered spot to harden off.

Watered the whole plot with the hose as i got sick of carrying watering cans for individual plants I had set out.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
                    Weeded the onions, shallots and garlic at the plot, three buckets of "goodies" for my neighbour's hens. Picked a punnet of strawberries. Felt smug :-)
                    I asked one of my neighouring lottie owners who has hens if he wanted the small weeds off my lottie for his hens and he looked at me as if I was stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post

Originally Posted by Dynamo
                      If you want, I can photograph the individual pieces and show hoe I fit them all together.
                      Yes please! I want to see!

Here we go then. Here are the side panels.

The wood at the sides is another six or more inches longer to make legs and they are hammered into the ground. The top panel just rests on the top and is tied to the sides using a bit of wire like this.

It takes just a few minutes to untie the lids so I can get at the bed to weed it.

The lids and sides are just nailed together with two or three nails and the netting is stapled to the wood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamo View Post
                        I asked one of my neighouring lottie owners who has hens if he wanted the small weeds off my lottie for his hens and he looked at me as if I was stupid.
                        My neighbour's chooks are pleased to see them! It gives them something to scratch about in .... it's very dull for hens if they have exhausted all the scratching possibilities in their run. They are 'programmed' to do it .. that's why keeping them in cages is so cruel (one of many reasons anyway). There might not be much nutrition but there is entertainment!

Comment

• We are going away for a few days so yesterday, re-potted things into larger containers to help with the watering, put some gherkins and tomatoes into the flower beds, planted out some bargain Salvias (24 plants for £2.17 from Homebase) and pottered about generally in the greenhouse and garage (my potting shed!). Dragged OH down to the plot to explore our first potatoes - lifted a root - 2 golf ball sized spuds and a marble - TOO EARLY ... be patient woman. Will try again in a couple of weeks. And as I post this, it is raining ... hurrah!

Comment

• Have a great time susieq Those frames look great, Dynamo.. the timber must have cost a bit mind?

I finished clearing half of my new plot last night - planning to plant it up today with my wife and toddler.. bit it's hammering it down, which is a shame. Shopping instead. Oh, yes I "accidently" bought some felco seccys yesterday too when I was browsing in a garden centre. Oh, and more seeds. Argh. Haven't told my wife how much they cost mind!

Comment

• Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                              Oh, yes I "accidently" bought some felco seccys yesterday too when I was browsing in a garden centre. Haven't told my wife how much they cost mind!
                              You won't regret it Chris, Felco seccys are the dogs b*******

Comment

• Watched the rain. Watched the veg growing. Watched the weeds growing.
                                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X