X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I planted:
    4 Rooster potatoes - 2 per bin.
    1 Maris Piper in a bucket.
    All were supermarket spuds that had sprouted in the kitchen.

I also sowed a small amount of lettuce seed and some lamb's lettuce seed (again in containers).

All are in the polytunnel at the moment.
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Isnt it a bit early to be planting Potatoes?

Comment

Put my potatoes out so they can start sprouting. Planted my garlic.

Comment

Spent the last day of my hols on the plot, it started cold, windy and dreary (3C), but once the wind dropped and the clouds cleared it was a lovely afternoon for working (temp dropped to 1.5C, so far too cold to do anything that doesnt invoplve physical work to keep yourself warm)!

Mr D had a bonfire and burned all the fartichoke, raspberry and grapevine prunnings (from yesterday) whilst I barrowed 25 loads of bark chippings from the other end of the allotment site and relaid fresh bark on almost all the paths on plot 2! Looks much better, just a shame I forgot to take my camera with me! D'oh!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Unblocked the septic tank pipes and removed a dead fox from the dyke next to the orchard...I smell!
            More gardening related, cut down (to 1-2ft) the baby trees in the hedge hoping they'll bush out and block next door! Lots of wood for the fire stacked behind the summer house.
            Looked at the germinating chilis/peppers/aubergines quite a bit...

Comment

I've used Alanromans for seed purchases as i too am on a tight budget. I'm not sure if they're a well kept gardeners secret or what because they don't seem to get many mentions anywhere but the prices are good. Guess we're going to find out about the quality throughout the year. I've also gotten some seeds from friends that have been gardening for years & as my outlaws still read the mags but don't garden i get the seeds that come free with each edition. This weekend i shall be venturing out for a walk to find some plant supports. I think the tight budget is actually making it more interesting.

Comment

Today I PANICKED!

I had two trays of onion seeds in the airing cupboard, covered with a sheet of perspex.

This afternoon I found that a few of the seeds in one tray had germinated.
                The surface of the compost in other tray, though, is covered with a web of white mould.
                The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

emptied the heated propegator of all the chillies that have germinated and repotted them all on the kitchen windowsill in john innes no1

just deciding what to sow now that it is empty

if you have any ideas i would appreciate the inspiration!!

currently got 3 types of toms and 4 5 types of chilli in pots
                  as well as some strawberries that i sowed in november and have held up well on the window sill.
                  May the road rise to meet you,
                  May the wind be always at your back,
                  May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                  The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
                  Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

I potted up 22 chilli seedlings, and have another 15 or so to do tomorrow. I also pruned a rose bush, but activities were cut short my emergency phone call. Hopefully the weather will hold on for tomorrow.
                    Last edited by BarleySugar; 29-01-2011, 11:13 PM.
                    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Managed to get a bag of autumn onion sets sown. I already planted my usual quantity back in Sept/Oct but this bag was going cheap. Have had the ground covered with cardboard for the last two weeks so ground was nicely workable. Covered them with a mulch of shredded paper and enviro mesh so they have some protection to get them going. Also planted out 60 pots of garlic that have been sat in the cold greenhouse.

Ian

Comment

• Cleared over wintered lettuce that had finished from 1 large pot and started of early carrots in the pot in the greenhouse. Transplanted on some corriander and parsley. Started off some celeriac seed on the windowsill.
                        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

• Progressd with the re-glasing of my main greenhouse roof. This is being achieved by taking out the old roof trusses, replacing them with new ones then putting 8 foot X 2 foot sheets of glass on top.
                          Hard graft but I managed to get 3 sheets and trusses up today making a total of four done and two to go!

Paid the rent on one of my plots.....£40....need to save up to pay for the other plot by March!

Knackered and ready for a bath!
                          Last edited by Snadger; 30-01-2011, 04:53 PM.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• - ferried 30 sacks of leafmold up to the lotty
                            - got half an hour's weeding done: chickweed and annual grass is flowering
                            - did half an hour's weeding on school garden: couch grass and buttercups
                            - planted school's 2 free apple trees (Gala & Lord Lambourne)
                            - and 3 crates of empty bottles to extend my bottle border
                            - received a bag of jars and 2 dozen packs of seed for free
                            - watered the indoor peas (now 6" tall)
                            - and the indoor hyacinths, so tall they're flopping over, but smell gorgeous
                            - set Kestrel and Charlotte spuds to chit in egg boxes, cool east windowsill
                            - posted out a couple of seed parcels to Grapes
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Today it was too cold to do any of the outside work I need to do. (Not too cold for me, but the sproglets get too whiny in the cold and I have a low patience threshold today )

Instead I sorted through all my saved jars from over winter and freecycle. Delabelled them all and sorted into vinegar proof / none vinegar proof and put them tidily away in my garage. Now I know how much more I need to save and which sizes, and how many more to take from my freecycle savers.

Also stacked 80 empty beer bottles ready to fill with mead
                              Noob Gardening Blog http://bintgarden.blogspot.com updated 15th January

Comment

• Yesterday I fitted the windows in my new shed (new to me) and gave it a little rub over with a wire brush and today I been down again and stained the shed, sorted some 3x2 slabs for my greenhouse base...
                                Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                                Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                                -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X