This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
    Have a great time susieq Those frames look great, Dynamo.. the timber must have cost a bit mind?
    Yeah the wood wasn't that cheap, but I figured I'd be able to use the frames for a lot of years so in the long run it was a sound investment. It makes all the difference between having a good crop of cabbages and nothing at all for my efforts, in which case the expense is very worthwhile.
    Last edited by Dynamo; 01-06-2011, 08:42 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Today I battled japanese knotweed for quite some time! I also admired the first flower on my kestrel potatoes, it is a lovely purple colour with a bright yellow stamen.

Then I planted up two hanging baskets, one nasturtiums and one marigolds.
      Planted out my 9 onward peas into a square pot and put canes in.

Need to do more but it got a bit too sunny for me out there!

Sorry the photo's a bit out of focus! And this is an older hanging basket with violas and a surfinia.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bronwen; 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM. Reason: add photos

Comment

• Went to the allotment with youngest daughter and three of the grandchildren (aren't I brave?). Planted out 3 of the courgettes, weeded, picked lettuce leaves, radishes, gooseberries, sweet peas. Watered with the hose (had to, it's been so dry). Broad beans and spuds are looking good though. Runner and french beans are sulking.

Comment

• Today I potted on a cucmber into its final pot.

Had another run in with Sid the cockerel as I was trying to lift the food container so that the hens can just a say reach it, but the Rolands can't!

Locked myself in the run again so had to kick the door down to get out. Beginning to get a bit of a habit now!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Chester proofed the veg beds with chicken wire, shelves from 3 blown aways and some bamboo canes! (BTW Chester is my daughter's Springer Spaniel staying with me for a week). Sowed some sunflowers with fingers crossed, not literally you understand. Planted out another pumpkin (graciously donated by SMT via Hazel at the Hill) and a spaghetti squash.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Transplanted another cauliflower in to my veg trug

Sown beetroot pronto and beetroot bolthardy

Sown carrot parmex

Sown nasturtiums

Sown more radishes

Comment

• nothing.......spoke to all the children on the phone....went out to lunch drank wine...came home...slept...woke up and it was raining ...great cos its been very very very dry here...read.....knitted...listened to the radio....looked at forum...
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

• today i hade a major weeding sesion on the plot, also planted out my celery and leeks and also made my ridges ready for the swede i have just sown tonight in cells along with a tray of fennel.

Comment

• Had a big afternoon at allotment on Tuesday so still paying for it with pain in shoulder and neck (ongoing problem) so still not well enough to go again yet. Those blasted weeds did it!!

Yesterday a friend who works for a local water company brought me a few ends of blue mdpe pipe that was over from a few jobs as my husband had mentioned that I could use some for my allotment if he ever had any over. So I was thrilled as I am using little hoops at the minute. Hoping he might have a few more another time too. So that will be a big bit of my brassica bed sorted now, with some very fetching burgundy voile netting I have from sorting out my MIL flat a couple of years ago. I knew it would come in useful one day - I daren't tell her what it's going to be used for though. LOL.

Have been sorting out a few planting at home this morning - using containers here as space at my 1/2 allotment plot is pretty well used up this year. The borage in my herb garden appears to be taking over so I've took a few of them out - found a cabbage growing, must have been from some I sowed there last year, so that 's a bonus.

Comment

• Topped up the potatoes in bags and buckets, did a bit of weeding, planted out 2 more tomatoes
                      (grafted ones, reduced at Dobbies and looking healthy) 2 more buckets (4 beans per pot) of dwarf French Beans. Replanted tomato plant which was looking a bit cramped in container.

Looked again at my runner beans which the more I look at them , am sure aren;t climbers..

ordered another raised bed to use as a seed/long term plant bed.
                      Last edited by hamsterqueen; 02-06-2011, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Made elderflower cordial after going and picking more. Sat in sun after I pottered in garden pulling a few weedlings and watering. Had girls out watching my every move with the hoe as that means worms and grubs.
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Do they have any more bargain salvia as I am not too far from SoT?
                          Sorry VVG - have been away and did not read this until today. May pop in later today to see, if they do, I will PM you. If you don't hear from me, assume not!

Chrismarks - thanks - we had a fabulous time in Caen - history and fine dining! If we could have squeezed in a trip to a French Garden centre my trip would have been complete!

Got home at 1.00 am and fell into bed. This morning, coffee on and then out in greenhouse and garden in my dressing gown and slippers. It has obviously rained here as all the plants outside were fine and thriving. So were the ones in the g'house, although had we stayed another day, I think some of the tomatoes may have suffered a little. Much watering! Anyway, benevolent neglect obviously works.

Comment

• Popped to Blooms gc (just of j12 on M5) at lunchtime and couldn't resist 2 more tom plants and a lemon tree.....all half price.

Toms were 'Summer Cider' and 'Limony'......so should be interesting;
                            a) trying to fit them in the GH and
                            b) seeing what the flavours are like.
                            The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                            William M. Davies

Comment

• To the plot yesterday afternoon - it was warm! Weeding, more weeding, trimmed the grass around the fruit trees and planted out some beetroot that I started in modules. Running out of space now to plant stuff but another plot holder has had an accident with his hand and has offered lots of us some room on his plot as he is not fit to use it at the mo'. Bless him. So I will have somewhere to put my cabbages if the spuds don't get a move on.

Comment

• I topped up the spuds in bags and buckets AGAIN. Watered, staked up the grafted tomatoes, planted a bucket of ruby chard. Garlic looks like it might be ready in a week or so, then I have bags and buckets to sow more beans and chard in.

Started to clear ground for another raised bed (that'll make six 1m x1m and one 2m x 1m).

Off again to get even more compost and topsoil for bed.

Husband clearing side beds of bindweed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X